miracle noodles

Options
There are these new noodles that are from Japan that supposedly have no calories or carbs in them. They look great and just like the name-miraculous- but do you think its real? I think they are made of soy or something but haven't weeded out much info. What do you guys think?

Replies

• tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They are rubbery gross! If you do get them, don't boil them. Pour like hot broth over them.
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how they taste but i don't think they are made of soy either...the website talks a little more about them @ www.miraclenoodles.com
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I've seen some Youtube videos on them. There are some people that swear by them and how great they are. Never tried them myself.
  • AttyMomOf3
    AttyMomOf3 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole case of them in early 2010 and I still have most of them left. They aren't totally gross, but they aren't a miracle solution for me either. You have to be very careful cooking them, as another poster suggested you just pour the hot broth or sauce over them instead of actually cook them. You have to rinse them really well too.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i heard if you cook them too long they are really rubbery i bought them once for my husband after heart surgery and he said he could not eat them i'm not sure if i cooked them to long or what i was going to try them again and not cook too long this time.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a bag in hand.I got mine from an Asian food market cost 1.49 for 7oz bag they are made from Yam Flour. Your right don't boil them what you want to do is put them in a small strainer and rinse well with hot water or a few minutes. Shake the extra water off and heat them in a skillet till all the water is evaporated they wont stick so you don't need to add oil. and top with what ever you like they are pretty much flavorless so I add pasta sauce or alfredo sauce i have used them in place of pad thai noodles in asian dishes as well and they are good.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Haven't tried them but have heard about them. A boon for low carbers thats for sure.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I've heard they taste weird and fishy. No thanks!
  • Leoandlola
    Leoandlola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All I can say is nasty. They are rubbery and they smell like fish and well I think that you are better off eating whole wheat pasta and getting your grains and fiber in
  • HCGlexiRN
    Options
    You have to know how to prepare them properly. They do smell a bit fishy but after rinsing well that goes away. They do not have any flavor so use spices/sauces to liking. This is a nice alternative for someone who loves pasta but is watching their carb intake.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    They're also known as shirataki noodles, and you either really like them or really hate them. I really like them, but tend to use them in asian dishes where you'd use rice noodles. I don't think they'd be great as a spaghetti and meatballs type replacement, but they made an amazing pho, and I'd probably use them in any sort of asian type dish.

Get one package to see if you like them, but yes, they're made entirely of water and water soluable fiber, so they have no effect on the glycemic index (useful for people like me, on low-carb diets).... unlike dreamfields pasta, which has been shown to spike blood sugar and act like regular, digestible carbs in a lot of people.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They can claim to be zero calorie because of a loophole in nutrition labels. Soluble fiber (which is what the noodle is, it's all glucomannan, which is a hemicellulose found in tree bark) is generally only partially digested. Because there is no way to tell exactly how many calories of the fiber is digested, and how much isnt, food manufacturers are able to just consider all fiber as zero calories per gram. Now fiber is a carbohydrate, so it can be up to 4 calories per gram. It's tricky. Not something I would really even want to try, I'd rather have real food.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Something made of a vegetable isn't real food now?
    Okay!
    I have bought the Slim Pasta here which is the same as the miracle noodles/shirataki. I did not find they smelt at all, nor were they overly rubbery. They tasted great in a stir fry. Ours are labelled at 14 calories per serve! I highly recommend them.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have 8 packets of Miracle Noodles which is going to a new home on Monday. =D

They're not made of soy.. I can't remember the name, but it's some sort of soluble fiber. They really are zero calories, but I can't take the smell or the texture, so I'm giving them away. :/ Pfft.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Okay!
    I have bought the Slim Pasta here which is the same as the miracle noodles/shirataki. I did not find they smelt at all, nor were they overly rubbery. They tasted great in a stir fry. Ours are labelled at 14 calories per serve! I highly recommend them.

Glucomannan is not a vegetable. If that's the case, than we can eliminate all these stilly aspartame is bad rumors by just telling everyone that aspartame is just protein (since it's 2 amino acids joined together.) Glucomannan, like I said, comes mostly from conifer WOOD PULP. I wouldn't consider the pine tree in my back yard as a vegetable.
  • queenbee917
    queenbee917 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im going to an Asian store this week to try these, I learn so much from this site...Love it!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You have to know how to prepare them properly. They do smell a bit fishy but after rinsing well that goes away. They do not have any flavor so use spices/sauces to liking. This is a nice alternative for someone who loves pasta but is watching their carb intake.

Exactly. Read the directions, guys! :)
  • pork_belly
    Options

Exactly. Read the directions, guys! :)

Picked up a bag and will have to think how I want to prepare it.
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Okay!

Glucomannan is not a vegetable. If that's the case, than we can eliminate all these stilly aspartame is bad rumors by just telling everyone that aspartame is just protein (since it's 2 amino acids joined together.) Glucomannan, like I said, comes mostly from conifer WOOD PULP. I wouldn't consider the pine tree in my back yard as a vegetable.

"Glucomannan is a water-soluble dietary fiber that is derived from konjac root. Glucomannan has been used in Asia for centuries as traditional foods,such as noodles, tofu and heat stable gelled food products. Konjac foods made by nature soluble fiber - glucomannan and water, is very low carb and very low glycemic nature food."

I am a lover of SlimPasta (or Miracle Noodles as known in the USA) and highly recommend it. If the Asians have been eating it for thousands of years then that gives me peace of mind. Ensure you READ THE DIRECTIONS and prepare accordingly. Their uses are endless.

Kathy
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced - I think that eating "food" that has 0 calories is pointless. If you want to eat noodles.... then eat noodles!

Treating calories as the enemy and 0 cal food (ie food that gives you no nutrition and has no energy value) as a good thing seems like a dangerous path to tread.