Water Challenge Question ???

Options
Hey Everyone,

I've recently started trying to drink more water throughout the day because of some encouragement from my MFP friends and I was wondering a few things...

1) How much are you supposed to drink? I've just been trying to drink "a lot." What should I be aiming for?
2) Has anyone had any digestive repercussions? (feel free to message me on this one if you don't want to publicly post).
3) Does the "I have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes" thing decrease after your body gets used to it?

Lastly, I'd love some new friends if anyone needs some support. I'm always looking for new supporters and I'm an active user and would love to encourage and support you all.

Thanks for all the help!

~ NiLo

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic that you're drinking more water!
    Try to drink at least 8 cups a day (64 oz). I try to drink one ounce per pound I weigh :D
    Unfortunately, I've been doing this my whole life and still have to pee every five minutes. It's just something to get used to! At least you'll be a healthier you.
  • dlongshot7
    Options
    HEY!!!! Well drinking more water ch day is very important. Yes the whole going to the bathroom will go away once you get used to it. Personally I drink 12-15 glasses a day. But its totally a personal preference on how much you drink but you should at least drink 8 glasses.
  • Haaus
    Haaus Posts: 7
    Options
    I have recently quit drinking soda's and drinking pretty much nothing but water, but I have noticed my bathroom trips slowing down since I first started drinking more water. I would think that it could hurt you in any way, might get a little bloated.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 100oz a day, sometimes 128oz (a whole gallon) I hear you should drink no more than half your weight (in pounds) in ounces... So like I'm 240.8 so I should have no more than 120.4oz.... Who knows about that though.
    If you drink enough you will go to the bathroom more, you will get used to it. It took me about 3 days to stop going every 5 minutes...
    In the end, get at least 8 8oz glasses a day and you'll be fine... Count your iced tea, hot tea, hot cocoa, coffee... any thing made with non fizzy water (even juice) and still count it in the diary, you do need to count your liquid calories as well as the solid ones. Don't count any soda as water...
  • Hey Everyone,

I've recently started trying to drink more water throughout the day because of some encouragement from my MFP friends and I was wondering a few things...

1) How much are you supposed to drink? I've just been trying to drink "a lot." What should I be aiming for?
    2) Has anyone had any digestive repercussions? (feel free to message me on this one if you don't want to publicly post).
    3) Does the "I have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes" thing decrease after your body gets used to it?

Lastly, I'd love some new friends if anyone needs some support. I'm always looking for new supporters and I'm an active user and would love to encourage and support you all.

Thanks for all the help!

~ NiLo

To answer your questions.
    1) I try to aim for 12+ glasses a day (but I agree, it is difficult).
    2) It actually aides the digestion system - it doesn't hurt it at all! Water dilutes things, so it makes it easier for your body to break down the food more quickly and efficiently. It can make you more "regular" if you know what I mean, haha.
    3) You're body does get used to being able to hold it for longer periods over time.

I have a passion for everything health & nutrition, and like to consider myself quite knowledgeable in this field! Also, I'm majoring in exercise science, so I'm learning new tips and tricks all the time! I love talking health and fitness, so message/add me with any questions or concerns you may have! Don't hesitate :-)
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1) 8 - 8 ounces
    2) Nope
    3) It has decreased for me.

I can always use an active friend because I do love feedback. I'll send you an invite.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Opinions vary but at least push for 64 oz to start. Trying to reach 8 (8oz) cups day can be hard for many people... I aim for 10 to 12 (8oz) glasses a day. i also have heard some say take your weight divide it in half and that is how many ounces you should drink. Also consider how active you are...the more activity the more water is necessary to replenish your body. Keeping our bodies well hydrated helps keep our cells functioning at an optimum level! Yes, using the restroom more often happens... not sure the need decreases as your body gets use to taking in more water, though. A way to handle digestive issues would be to drink the majority of your water in-between meals, and drink less as you are eating meals!
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I at least try to get my 8 glasses a day, and if possible I try to drink more than that!

My mom always said drink a gallon a day. And I've yet to achieve that yet XD
  • Timo113
    Timo113 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I aim for 64oz a day. I don't always make it but that is my goal.

I fill reusable bottles about a 1/4 filled and put them in the freezer, then I fill the bottles in the morning and have cold water for at least half the day. I carry my water bottle where ever I go including keeping it on my desk at work.

I think your body does get used to it after a while.