20 pounds by graduation (5 months). Reasonable?

So I graduate college April 28th. That's 5 months from now. Is it reasonable to assume I can reach that goal by then? I'm 149 and I want a 120 before I graduate (really before summer starts). I know that means 20 pounds in 24 weeks (which I'm set on MFP for 1 pound a week), but I;m worried I'll get stuck a few weeks and not reach that goal. What to you guys think? Anyone else have similar goals? I'd love to hook up for some support!!

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    You will probably find that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower weight will come off. Stick with it, though, and eventually you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    I lost 50 pounds in 5 months...although im bigger...but it is doable.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Not unreasonable. You just got to have determination and will power. But I believe you can do it.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    That's reasonable. Even if you don't hit that number on the scale but stick to a mostly clean diet and incorporate exercise, you're likely to be very happy with the appearance of your body in 5 months.

Right now, I'm aiming to lose on average of 1lb/wk by March, and I'm 139lbs.

Oh and congrats on graduation!
  • acdef
    acdef Posts: 1
    I started July 12 and today I hit 50 pounds lost, so I'd say your goal is reasonable. You'll need to do a fair amount of cardiovascular. Good luck!
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Well, I lost 21 pounds and I'm only six weeks into this thing, so I say it's totally doable. Although, everyone is different...
  • It's reasonable, just realize that the first week or so will include a lot of water weight if you deplete glycogen, which tends to happen on a low calorie or low carb diet. Expect to regain a couple pounds of water when you finish and regain the glycogen in your body. For me at 230, that water weight swing was 7 pounds, YMMV.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    If you eat well and exercise you will definitely be closer to your goal, and feeling great by graduation.
    Go for it, but don't get hung up on a scale number.
  • I have a similar goal! I want to lose 20 pounds by prom and I'm starting tomorrow. My plan is to eat <1000 calories/day and exercise at least 3x a week but it's hard because I'm so busy!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I have a similar goal! I want to lose 20 pounds by prom and I'm starting tomorrow. My plan is to eat <1000 calories/day and exercise at least 3x a week but it's hard because I'm so busy!

Under 1000 calories a day is not healthy and not enough to fuel your body.