Movies that make you think.

daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
edited October 5 in Chit-Chat
Last night, I finally watched Requiem for a Dream. It was incredibly sad and disturbing, but for a long time after watching it, I just sort of laid in my bed thinking. The heroin aspect of the plot isn't unusual, but the simultaneous story about Sara being addicted to diet pills just sort of made me sit there thinking about what really is a drug? What really is addiction? The movie was incredible, I can't stop thinking about it and those questions.

I also felt this way when I watched "Earthlings" (warning: It's not called "the veganmaker" for nothing).

What are the movies you've seen that really got you thinking?

Replies

• whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    BENT
    a holocaust movie from the homosexual perspective....i cried so hard i couldn't breathe
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Tarkovsky - Stalker

Bela Tarr - Werckmeister harmonies

Watch stalker first, if that didn't make your head explode watch Werckmeister Harmonies.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Last night, I finally watched Requiem for a Dream. It was incredibly sad and disturbing, but for a long time after watching it, I just sort of laid in my bed thinking. The heroin aspect of the plot isn't unusual, but the simultaneous story about Sara being addicted to diet pills just sort of made me sit there thinking about what really is a drug? What really is addiction? The movie was incredible, I can't stop thinking about it and those questions.

I also felt this way when I watched "Earthlings" (warning: It's not called "the veganmaker" for nothing).

What are the movies you've seen that really got you thinking?

i may have to look into earthlings....thank you
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Fortress.

Ahah. No. Just kidding. It's just that your post in debatable debating reminded me of that movie (Christophe Lambert is in jail because he had a non-authorized child)

Das Experiment (there was a US remake The Experiment but I've only seen the German version).
  • daffodilsoup
    i may have to look into earthlings....thank you

It's really heartbreaking to watch, but I firmly believe that it's something everyone - omnivore and vegan alike - should watch. You can watch the full-length documentary for free on www.earthlings.com.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    The movie/document where the guy was eating just MacDonalds food whole month and upsized every time the salesperson suggested it hit me really hard.

Doctors exam results and the way his body and feeling of wellness changed was enough for me to never ever go to fast food places again unless I am literally forced to do it. Must see if you frequently eat fast food and know you might need some help to change that habit.

What was the name again? cannot remember...
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    The movie/document where the guy was eating just MacDonalds food whole month and upsized every time the salesperson suggested it hit me really hard.

Doctors exam results and the way his body and feeling of wellness changed was enough for me to never ever go to fast food places again unless I am literally forced to do it. Must see if you frequently eat fast food and know you might need some help to change that habit.

Supersize me
  • daffodilsoup

Supersize Me! Great response!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Schindler's List
    1 Litre of Tears
  • Book of Eli ....Got me to remembering what's really important.
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Can't watch Super Size Me without watching the doco Fat Head - a view from a different perspective - and a word of warning, sorry, it's negative towards Super Size Me so don't watch it if Super Size Me did good things for you!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    not a movie, but a TV show...The Walking Dead. i always tell my step-son how i would do something differently in the show...
  • There was SO much wrong with Supersize me! You eat 5000+ calories a day and don't exercise... what do you expect? He totally, totally warped things to fit his message. For all those Supersize Me lovers, watch Fat Head. *Edit* I just realized someone else mentioned Fathead too.

I would have to agree on "Earthlings" that movie made me cry and it made me want to throw up. I felt really sit and depressed about eating any kind of animal product for awhile. Unfortunately I have slipped back into eating meat, but not nearly as much as I used to. But some of those scenes still kind of haunt me.

Requiem for a Dream is really depressing. I have watched it a few times... I haven't seen it in a long time though and I absolutely don't remember her being addicted to diet pills. I must have either completely not noticed/paid attention or I just don't remember.

I can't think of any good movies at the moment, just wanted to common on those.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

Sicko

Supersize me

Bigger Stronger Faster

I now pronounce you chuck and lar - does kinda make you rethink gay marriage
  • daffodilsoup
    I would have to agree on "Earthlings" that movie made me cry and it made me want to throw up. I felt really sit and depressed about eating any kind of animal product for awhile. Unfortunately I have slipped back into eating meat, but not nearly as much as I used to. But some of those scenes still kind of haunt me.

Requiem for a Dream is really depressing. I have watched it a few times... I haven't seen it in a long time though and I absolutely don't remember her being addicted to diet pills. I must have either completely not noticed/paid attention or I just don't remember.

I can't think of any good movies at the moment, just wanted to common on those.

I hear you on Earthlings. Meat is delicious, but after seeing those things, there's just no way I could eat meat/wear fur/etc and still feel good about myself at the end of the day. It was probably the one movie that stuck with me most.

Requiem was probably the most depressing movie I've ever watched. Harry's mom goes on those pills from her doctor to lose weight and they're amphetamines, so she becomes addicted to how she feels on them and obsesses about the prospect of wearing her red dress and having her old life back. The movie documents how she spirals out of control. Everything about the movie was so artfully done and the music is just haunting - totally adds to the whole viewing experience.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    I will add:

Moon

Man from Earth

The Manchurian Candidate

Failsafe

Dr. Strangelove

Who Killed the Electric Car?

The Yes Men Fix the World

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Food, Inc.

Jesus Camp

The Fog of War
  • daffodilsoup
    Great list seventwenty! I will have to add a bunch of these to my list :)
  • jackiec67
    jackiec67 Posts: 3 Member
    Blue Valentine
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Clockwork Orange

Enron: The smartest guys in the room

Actually any and all of the documentaries I've seen on the financial collapse have been great, though they make me want to scream.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Any war related movie.
This discussion has been closed.