I just ate 3,200 calories, What now?

Options
2»

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. Forgive yourself, move on. Don't make it a daily occurence. DO NOT "punish" yourself with a ridiculous workout, you might injure yourself. If you've been working out and eating right before, then the one or two slip ups aren't going to effect that. It doesn't for me.
    I would like you to know that you are not alone! I tend to regret a lot of stuff I eat, but now I make myself pay for it. Here's my opinion....punish yourself with an extra hard workout! If you continue to brush days like this off you're never going to break the bad habit!

No! Bad idea! Never use a workout to punish yourself!
    Workouts should be about rewarding your body with endorphins and taking care of yourself and getting healthier.
    If you start to see workouts as punishment then you'll grow to hate them and be less likely to work out. Plus it's never good to punish yourself. It's better to forgive yourself and use your mistakes as motivation to do better in the future.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand why this is even a bad thing. I've seen words like slipup, forgive, punish, stumble all through this thread which is pretty sad.

To the OP, if you stuck to your 1200-1400 range 6 days a week & did a 2500 calorie day once a week, you could still lose weight. The scale will show an artificial gain the day after your spike but it will come off quickly & you'll end up lower than before by the end of the week. If that freaks you out then weigh no more than weekly & weigh the morning of your spike day (before you start eating, of course). That will typically be your lowest weight of the week.

It is possible to lose weight & still enjoy food once in a while. If you give yourself permission to indulge occasionally you'll choose only the best stuff to eat on that day & not have to torment yourself with guilt. I think that's ridiculous & I see it way too much on this site. There's nothing wrong with eating delicious crap on one day a week if you're working hard at eating healthy the other 6 days. Your quality of life doesn't have to suffer just because you're trying to lose weight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. It's not the end of the world. Keep going the way you would have if you hadn't gone so far over. Drink extra water, work out like normal, eat healthy foods today. Don't punish yourself with a crazy workout or super restrictive diet today. Remember, 3500 calories make 1 lb of fat, and you'd only gain that 1 lb if you ate 3500 calories OVER your TDEE. You didn't. As long as you still show a deficit for the week, you won't gain fat. You might gain water weight from the extra food, but that will flush out easily.

Don't stress. Remember that having an "over" day once in a while is actually good for your metabolism. In the short term it feels like you've done something wrong, but in the long term it's good for you.
  • Alka97
    Alka97 Posts: 74
    Options
    Don't worry about one day :D
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have a nice long work out, and move on to the next day with healthy food choice. Most of all do not beat yourself up over it. We all have good days and bad ones.
  • NaughtyKnockers
    Options
    Its bound to happen. Don't be so mad on yourself remember we are just human. And workout if you still can or do it the next day 1st thing in the morning.