Would this be enough?

Options
Sorry for my billion posts today :embarassed:

If I were to get a treadmill and walked/ran on it 4 times a week and also did a strength/toning dvd 2-3times a week would that be enough? I don't want to fork out a huge amount of money on a treadmill then find out I need to add in a lot of other things too. I'll be out and about during the summer with the kids and the hubby walking, swimming etc and I have a couple of cardio dvd's I can use if I fancy a change but would using the treadmill as my predominant source of cardio be OK?

Replies

• vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    Sorry for my billion posts today :embarassed:

If I were to get a treadmill and walked/ran on it 4 times a week and also did a strength/toning dvd 2-3times a week would that be enough? I don't want to fork out a huge amount of money on a treadmill then find out I need to add in a lot of other things too. I'll be out and about during the summer with the kids and the hubby walking, swimming etc and I have a couple of cardio dvd's I can use if I fancy a change but would using the treadmill as my predominant source of cardio be OK?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it's fine if that's what you want to do but why know just walk/run outside? I know it can be weather permitting but I live WAY north, it is always freezing here, and I still do it outside. Just seems kind of like a waste of money... for something that you can easily do for free.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree. I had a treadmill and it took up a lot of space and was a hazard to my children so we got rid of it. I walked/ran outside nearly every day without fail for years. It wasn't as boring as a treadmill, either, lol. I have joined the Y now - my brain melts and oozes out my ears while I'm on that hamster-thing. (So be really careful not to slip when you get on after me!)
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I live in the Highlands near Aviemore and in the winter I can't walk outside enough to get the weight off. I bought a treadmill and find it helps over the winter months. It folds up so doesn't take up too much room. Just at the moment it is hard enugh to wade through the snow to the shops!
  • agapita1965
    Options
    I love my treadmill! We've had it for years and I have to admit it collected dust for some years. Since December I use mine 6 days a week while I watch shows like Biggest Loser, Diet Tribe, etc. Some nights I will walk while watching a show and add a few miles to my day w/o much effort. In January I walked 101 miles, that's a first for me. So, if you have time when you are stuck in the house or have difficulty getting out (snow, rain) it would be a good ifdea to consider. Think of when you would use it.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one to walk while I watch TV too. That's a great way to add in extra without really feeling it.
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It was for me. I walked 5-6 days a week about 30 minutes some days and 45 some days. I lost 20 lbs. in 7 months. ( with portion control along with it) I dont like walking out side especially since it is very cold in the winter where we live and i live on a mountain. - terrain is too hard on me. summer months i did do some outside walking as time permitted. :smile:
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    i dont live all that far from aviemore :smile:

Scottish weather sucks camel *kitten*!! Plus I have 2 very young children. I can walk with them no problem but I want to get my heartrate up which I can't really do with both of them and the dog. They both nap for a couple of hours after lunch which would be a great time for me to hop on and get some exercise in without being pestered :smile: and if they decide not to nap I have nighttimes when they're in bed. My husband works 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am so he's either at work or sleeping so he can be ready to work. I work at weekends so our schedules are way off for him to be able to watch them while I go out on my own. I don't want our conflicting schedules to be an excuse for me not getting off my butt anymore. I'm getting bored of doing dvd's so I thought a mix of treadmill, dvd's and outside (when weather permits) will encourage me to stick to it and not get bored and quit.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    i dont live all that far from aviemore :smile:

Scottish weather sucks camel *kitten*!! Plus I have 2 very young children. I can walk with them no problem but I want to get my heartrate up which I can't really do with both of them and the dog. They both nap for a couple of hours after lunch which would be a great time for me to hop on and get some exercise in without being pestered :smile: and if they decide not to nap I have nighttimes when they're in bed. My husband works 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am so he's either at work or sleeping so he can be ready to work. I work at weekends so our schedules are way off for him to be able to watch them while I go out on my own. I don't want our conflicting schedules to be an excuse for me not getting off my butt anymore. I'm getting bored of doing dvd's so I thought a mix of treadmill, dvd's and outside (when weather permits) will encourage me to stick to it and not get bored and quit.

well in that case go for it, it sounds like it will work for you! But get one with excellent safety features and keep it in a seperate room with a locked door. I have heard horror stories associated with small children and treadmills. :frown: :noway:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that the most successful weight loss program is to Walk at least 30 minutes a day. Adding in the strength training is an excellent plan. I'd say the treadmill is a good investment as long as you use it. I have mine in front of the TV.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    I think that would be fine. I only use a treadmill at the gym 3 days a week for 30 min with weights and I am slowly losing. But if your are adding workout videos then you would lose much fast than me. I need some videos at home too.