Winter Slump :(

Options
Hello MFP land!!

So who's with me?!?! I'd get home from work, all spring and summer long, make dinner and then go out for a nice long walk. Sure it was getting dark, but If I was done by 9:30 I wasn't out too long in the dark.
These days I get home from work at 6, and it's pitch black already...so okay, I can't walk in the pitch dark alone (my walking buddy is on the injured list) maybe I'll get up in the morning...but it's 6am before it's light out and I have to leave for work at 6:45.....

It's just frustrating, and I honestly feel like the darkness saps my motivation a little too.

I've been trying to adapt ( walking on my lunch hour at work) but it's not always foolproof( like when my coworkers invite me out to lunch with them) or it's raining.

It just feels like there is literally less time in the day and i have less get up and go with all this dark dark dark!

Anyone want to whine with me? Anyone want to message me and keep me accountable? I could use my own personal Jillian right about now.

happy sunday everyone!

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Yep, when it is dark so early, my energy lags so much! I'm trying hard to do at least a 20 minute workout dvd every day, but I really miss going out for some fresh air and sunshine!
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dunno if there's anywhere near you, but why not try a class? That way you're not relying on the light / weather? Keep the positive and you'll be fine!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us are in the same slump. I leave home when the sun is just coming up and get home in the dark - and all I want to do when I get home is settle in for the night and not move :laugh: BUT, I do own a treadmill and try to make myself use it for at least 30 minutes right when I get home. At least I'm getting some sort of exercise in!
  • kmboffice88
    Options
    It's dark when I leave for work and almost dark when I get home, so I completely understand. I know once I get home it's very hard for me to get myself moving again. I hop by the gym on my way home from work to avoid this! That way once I get home I know I can stay in, but I also get a small workout in. :)
  • jannalynne07
    jannalynne07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian's workout DVD's (I own 30 day shred and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism) and it's a great workout and you don't have to go outside! I LOVE running and jogging but I too have trouble finding time when it's light out. We also have a park nearby with a walking path that's lit until 9 or 10 pm, have you looked into any of those?
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hear you, but it's really how badly you want to exercise. I get up at 4 a.m. To wok my 6 miles. It is pitch black but I walk at the school track where it is somewhat lite. You will be surprised how many of us are walking/running that early. There are other alternatives like joining the gym during the winter months (ie Costco sells cheap memberships to 24 fitness)...believe me they are open 24 hrs except for some holidays. I use the track and 24 fitness. I found I cold get twice the workout in half the time at the gym. There are also inexpensive DVDs you could purchase/rent (?) to exerci at home. Good luck and find an alternative that's right for you. :smile:
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hear you, but it's really how badly you want to exercise. I get up at 4 a.m. To wok my 6 miles. It is pitch black but I walk at the school track where it is somewhat lite. You will be surprised how many of us are walking/running that early. There are other alternatives like joining the gym during the winter months (ie Costco sells cheap memberships to 24 fitness)...believe me they are open 24 hrs except for some holidays. I use the track and 24 fitness. I found I cold get twice the workout in half the time at the gym. There are also inexpensive DVDs you could purchase/rent (?) to exerci at home. Good luck and find an alternative that's right for you. :smile:
    Thanks for the Costco tip - I had no idea they offered this!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I totally feel ya. I get up early to do my walking/running (depending on the day), but then when I get home from work, I have no drive to go to the gym (for muscle building). Nor do I have much energy for anything else. I am against tanning beds, but I've honestly considered going to one so I'd get some light!

My co-worker and I have begun walking for 5-10 extra minutes every day, just to get a little big of extra movement and sunshine, and it helps with the winter depression, but not with motivation to work out more when I get home. If you find a solution, please, SHARE!