Any Objectivists out there?

Options
Hi, I'm Chris. I'm an Objectivist and I'm wondering if any fellow MFP users out there are as well. If so, I'd like to meet you via MFP! =)

As a note, I'm simply looking for people who share my interests. My philosophy, Objectivism, is a big factor in my motivation to live a fit, healthy life. However, I know that many people share the same value as me--"a fit, healthy life"--with different motivations, so please do not interpret my "ad for Objectivists" to be exclusive or non-friendly! If you're a highly motivated, goal oriented person and you have the results to prove it, then please introduce yourself to me as well! =D

Replies

• mehinalani
    Options
    umm Maybe a silly question but what is an Objectivists?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    wondering the same thing?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand (or any of Rand's work). Very good examples of Objectivism seeing as how she's the father of the movement and all. . .
  • tf597687
    tf597687 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    True, but Ayn Rand is a woman.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    wondering the same thing?

just googled and this came up on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_(Ayn_Rand)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Oops, I missed a key! Jenkies Batman!
  • Jmayhem69
    Options

Read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand (or any of Rand's work). Very good examples of Objectivism seeing as how he's the father of the movement and all. . .

Objectivism is a philosophy described by Ayn Rand...and she's a woman....making it difficult for her to be the Father of anything.

Google is a great search engine that answers virtually every question one should ever pose, eliminating ignorance in all who seek knowledge.

"As you seek, so shall you find"
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I loved Atlas Shrugged.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Google is a great search engine that answers virtually every question one should ever pose, eliminating ignorance in all who seek knowledge.

"As you seek, so shall you find"

+1
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I googled it and guess I am pretty much one. I Know I am highly motivated. I went from a 302 lb size 26 to a 145 size 10-12 woman. Still highly motivated to maintain because after many a yo-yo experience have come to the conclusion I need to monitor my food 100% of the time.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Oops, I missed a key! Jenkies Batman!

Did you also miss that a female can't be the "father" of something?
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand (or any of Rand's work). Very good examples of Objectivism seeing as how she's the father of the movement and all. . .

That should actually be "SHE'S the MOTHER" of Objectivism. Wikipedia is a fabulous resource. I don't specifically identify myself as an Objectivist, but there are lots of interesting propositions. I do believe in objective reality, identity, etc, but not so much a believer in the "rational self interest" ethics and laissez-faire capitalism. As far as motivation is concerned though, I figure, whatever works for you to keep you focused and on track and doesn't cause harm to others is definitely supportable:smile:

Welcome to mfp! Good luck to you!
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    LOL! I guess a lot of us philosophical types are quick with the corrections and resource links! :laugh:
  • careyayn22
    Options
    Hey, I'm named after Ayn Rand. Does that count?

I think objectivism is an interesting philosophy, but I find it a little too black and white for my grey thinking brain.

For those of you wondering if you fit the philosophy, if you are a Libertarian you just might be an objectivist; however, most people I know who actually know thay they are Libertarian also know what Objectivism is and have read Rand. LOL