Spinach, Salmon, and......... ????

Options
2»

Replies

• eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm a fresh fish kinda girl, but it's so expensive, and nobody else in the house eats it, so I never bother to prepare it for myself.

But that just means more fish for you right? You can mix the leftover salmon in some brown rice and veggies or whatever you like for the next day or two. It's still kind of pricey to do this, I know. 1 pound of fresh salmon costs about $11 where I live... but I can make it stretch for 4 meals (no one else at home likes it, muahahah) making it about $2.75 per meal.
    I don't like canned salmon so I spoil myself with the occasional fresh wild caught fillet.
    My trick to prevent overcooked salmon when you go to reheat it: slightly undercook the portion you don't intend to eat that day and store it in the fridge. When you heat it up in the microwave the next day it'll be perfectly done.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yes folks. Do not eat too much tuna. Check the permitted amounts for your weight. Most tuna (especially big tuna used for big filets) is infected with the most toxic (to humans) substance on the planet, mercury. See the movie The Cove (its streaming on netflix if you have it) to learn more.

Sooooo funny to me that people get immunizations without a second thought, and then scare themselves silly about eating a can of tuna...... but I digress......

Hey, it's your health. If you're not interested in even finding out about it, whatever. If you are interested here is the FDA;

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/FoodbornePathogensContaminants/Methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

1. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
    2.Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    * Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    * Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

3. Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

Or maybe Health Canada?

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2007/2007_14-eng.php

As a precaution, Health Canada is providing the following advice.

* Women who are or who may become pregnant, or who are breastfeeding can eat up to four Food Guide Servings of canned albacore tuna each week. One Food Guide Serving is 75g, 2 ½ oz, 125 mL, or ½ cup.
    * Children between one and four years old can eat up to one Food Guide Serving of albacore tuna each week.
    * Children between five and eleven years old can eat up to two Food Guide Servings of albacore tuna each week.
  • sugartwist
    sugartwist Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great ideas all! I love salmon.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lemon or lime juice is nice on those.