eggs and cholesterol?

Options
How often should a person eat an egg. I like to have one at least once a week. However, it seems when I do, my cholesterol numbers for that day are out of whack. I did not realize an egg had so much cholesterol. The ones I buy, large grade A eggs have 215 mg per egg. The guide here allows me 300 mg a day. I usually stay right at or a little over, depending how much meat I eat for the day. My doctor told me last year that my cholesterol numbers were a little elevated, so I am trying to be more conscious about that. My diet program columns keeps track of the calories, carbs, fat, protein, cholesterol, and sodium.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

BTW, I have always been a breakfast sandwich guy. So i found these whole wheat mini bagels with 110 calories each.. I tried a serving of turkey breakfast sausage and an egg (skipped the cheese, which I love). Taste yummy to me....

Replies

• toddf67
    Options
    How often should a person eat an egg. I like to have one at least once a week. However, it seems when I do, my cholesterol numbers for that day are out of whack. I did not realize an egg had so much cholesterol. The ones I buy, large grade A eggs have 215 mg per egg. The guide here allows me 300 mg a day. I usually stay right at or a little over, depending how much meat I eat for the day. My doctor told me last year that my cholesterol numbers were a little elevated, so I am trying to be more conscious about that. My diet program columns keeps track of the calories, carbs, fat, protein, cholesterol, and sodium.

BTW, I have always been a breakfast sandwich guy. So i found these whole wheat mini bagels with 110 calories each.. I tried a serving of turkey breakfast sausage and an egg (skipped the cheese, which I love). Taste yummy to me....
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Todd, I'm not sure how often but I do know if you drop out the yolk, you will significantly decrease the cholesterol. I've found that if you use a ramikin cup and spray it with a non stick agent, crack the egg and only put in the white...microwave for 30 seconds, it makes a great "fried" egg...especially for those breakfast sandwiches.

Does this help at all???
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My blood cholesterol is highly responsive to my diet, so I have eggs no more than once per week - usually 2 or 3 in the form of an omelette or fritatta.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

i :heart: :heart: :heart: breakfast sandwiches! thanks for the tip! jimmy dean makes some very tasty ones that have turkey sausage, cheese, and egg white. i think they come on a crossant (my fav) or an english muffin. when i feel like a treat, i'll buy a box. they are kind of pricey though. i love making breakfast for dinner and making egg and turkey sausage or turkey bacon sandwiches. ya-hum. can you tell its lunch time and i have to wait about 15 minutes before i can go eat? :sad:

sorry, i dont know how many eggs you should or shouldt have per week but i am sure someone will reply to that part of your post. i am curious too, since i had my breakfast for dinner 3 days in a row last week :smile:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    "After 40 years, the egg-cholesterol myth still has legs, albeit they're a little shaky. Recent research has shown that there is no limit to the number of eggs a healthy adult can eat in a week."

from
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070724/egg_cholesterol_070724?s_name=&no_ads=

All resources from a search on "eggs and cholesterol" come up with that you don't need to worry about how many eggs you are eating.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    "After 40 years, the egg-cholesterol myth still has legs, albeit they're a little shaky. Recent research has shown that there is no limit to the number of eggs a healthy adult can eat in a week."

from
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070724/egg_cholesterol_070724?s_name=&no_ads=

All resources from a search on "eggs and cholesterol" come up with that you don't need to worry about how many eggs you are eating.

SWEEEEET! :flowerforyou:
  • toddf67
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info and advice! You know, I did not think about removing the yolk. Also, I did not realize that Jimmy Dean had a similar product to what I'm making, I will have to look for that. Thanks Sapporo for posting the web address, I will pass that on to others I know that are concerned about the egg myth. I feel much more at ease now.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I like to use 3 eggs, but 1 yolk for a yummy omelet.