Foods to avoid on thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My plan: meat (turkey and ham), green beans (not casserole), soybean succotash, mashed sweet potatoes (with a bit of cinnamon and butter) and a tiny helping of dressing since its my favorite and I want a taste but not a plate full this year. Dessert wise - not sure what we're having yet, but I'll have a small piece later in the afternoon.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Everything but turkey?
  • rockytu
    Options
    rolls,stuffing,any potates,pie crust.i am making everything low carb.my family is used to it and will eat well.i am having duck and want to make a low carb orange sauce.HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!:smile:
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will be running in a race that morning, and I'll be eating everything at dinner!
    I believe in the understanding that an occasional feast, especially with family it is perfectly acceptable. Now, I don't think that eating the leftovers in huge quantities is ok. I'll be cooking smaller amounts of most foods so that we don't have a ton left over.
  • gayl4
    gayl4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love your comment! Enjoy the holiday.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I don't normally eat a ton on Thanksgiving because I'm not a huge fan of meat. I'm planning on rolls (dear god, I love my carbs), green bean casserole, and mashed potatoes. Maybe a tiny bit of turkey, too. I'm also not planning on logging anything that day, because one day out of an entire year is certainly not going to kill me or make me gain 10 lbs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Anything that is not delicious. I will only eat whatever is delicious on thanksgiving.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you think you're somehow going to eat 3500 extra calories in a single day by not giving up your favorite holiday foods, you're not going to screw up your diet by simply enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with friends and family.

Relax. Enjoy.

edit to add: Sheesh... could I add any more double negatives? :laugh:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not going to skip any of the things I love. I will try to exercise portion control.

This is how I intend to go. In fact, it's how I've done my entire weight loss journey. I won't be able to maintain weight loss if I feel like I'm punishing myself. I just make the decision each and every day to eat more of what is good for me, and less of what my body doesn't need.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm eating everything. And a lot of it. Oh and double helpings on the pumpkin pie thanks!

ETA

tumblr_llu8eqlSDZ1qzozj1.gif
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hell, I'm even eating the yams! Bring it on!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Unless you think you're somehow going to eat 3500 extra calories in a single day by not giving up your favorite holiday foods, you're not going to screw up your diet by simply enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with friends and family.

Relax. Enjoy.

edit to add: Sheesh... could I add any more double negatives? :laugh:

I will be aiming for 3500 calories Thanksgiving day.
    :wink:
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on skipping anything. I am not a big eater even on the holidays so it will just be another day for me most likely :) I may go over on calories a little but I am also running in a 10K earlier that day so it's all good :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want but do so in moderation. Eat a little bit of everything and enjoy yourself.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am not avoiding anything, so much as not making a few items because our celebration is only going to be 3 people this year instead of 12-15.

normal thanksgiving staples i'm not making:
    rolls
    shrimp and cocktail sauce
    tomato and mozzarella caprese
    sweet potato casserole
    cheesy hasbrown casserole
    crab-stuffed mushrooms
    veggie tray (pickles, olives, jalapeno green beans, celery with peanut butter/cheese spread)
    broccoli, cauliflower and lolive salad in italian dressing
    cheese ball
    dill snack crackers
    pumpkin pie
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a goal the holiday season to be the same weight or less on January 1, 2012 as I was on November 1, 2012. That gives me a lot of flexibility.

I will eat and drink what I want on Thanksgiving Day0 but I have saved containers and have labels, because all our hungry kids, nieces, nephews and friends will need to take care of the leftovers post Thanksgiving. I think it is a win/win.

I hope our Thankgiving meal will reflect gratitude for friends, family, food, fun and fitness.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    i am not avoiding anything, so much as not making a few items because our celebration is only going to be 3 people this year instead of 12-15.

rolls
    sweet potato casserole
    crab-stuffed mushrooms
    veggie tray (pickles, olives, jalapeno green beans, celery with peanut butter/cheese spread)
    cheese ball
    dill snack crackers
    pumpkin pie
    If I bring some friends over, would you consider making all of those tasty items on the list? Please?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I avoid nothing. Eat what you just do it resonably. Add in I will be spiking on my thanksgiving. That will allow me ot eat, eat, and eat. This is about making a healthy life for me. Not making me miserable and avoiding foods that I would like to eat.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

rolls
    sweet potato casserole
    crab-stuffed mushrooms
    cheese ball
    dill snack crackers
    pumpkin pie
    If I bring some friends over, would you consider making all of those tasty items on the list? Please?

i would love that! :) i am kind of sad our thanksgiving celebration is going to be so small.
  • WeighAhead
    WeighAhead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, eat what you want in moderation. But I will try to avoid certain foods that I know are triggers, these include soda and chips.