"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Options

Replies

• STOP THE EATING DISORDER QUOTE BASHING. I hope you realise reading this quote wont make you suffer from an eating disorder... And being in recovery for bulimia, I'll say that this is not something that is souly supported by the eating disorder community, it means to you what ever you like.!! Be a bit more open minded about it!

If you don't believe the words yourself, that is fair enough, but its suppose to be motivation for people who struggle saying no thankyou to the foods they usually binge one, and NOT telling people to stop eating....!!

Looool
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    It is only pro-anorexia if you are anorexic. Otherwise, it is a reminder of why you are doing what you are doing.

There are plenty of people who want to lose weight for appearances who are considered in the "healthy" range. As long as you stay in the healthy range, and are not underweight, there is nothing wrong with that.

There is a difference between the "healthy range" and actually being HEALTHY. Being healthy is being able to walk around all day at the zoo without being tired or aching within a couple hours. Its being able to chase a toddler and grab him and lift him out of the way of a car.

Being a "healthy weight" is a misnomer. It just means some statistical analysis says that people in this range are GENERALLY healthier than those who are not. But I am a damn sight healthier than a lot of "healthy range" people I know, even though I'm 15lbs outside of a so called healthy BMI.

Also for the record, I actually DO like this quote for myself on some days. And I know food tastes good - I LOVE food. I got fat eating unbelievably delicious food in huge quantities (And I don't mean like people think mcdonalds and pizza is delicious, I mean eating sashimi and sushi until I was stuffed to the gills and loving every single little fishy bite).

And I still have all the delicious things I want in moderation, so to me this isn't a quote about denying myself all foodly pleasures (Even though I guess it is from most people's perspectives and I didn't know it was a Kate moss thing). For me its about being able to say "yeah, that oatmeal toffee cookie would be delicious right now but I have already eaten more than my fair share of delicious food today. We can have that delicious cookie tomorrow when we have a double workout planned. Eating that cookie right now won't taste as good as being skinny feels."

But I do intend to eat that cookie sometime, just not on a day that I also had homemade biscuits. *cough*

PS: To the OP - you don't have that much to lose. It sounds to me like you are WAY over-restricting your intake. There's no reason you couldn't have had dessert last night. A super rigid diet that takes away things you enjoy is a DIET THAT IS DESTINED TO FAIL.

I go over on my calories regularly. REGULARLY. OFTEN! A lot of times I just have the damn cookie, order the cheese plate, or whatever. and that is with my calories already being set quite high compared to some people.

Skinny people who have NOT dieted down to skinniness eat dessert. The difference is that they don't eat it every day or eat huge portions of it, or they order a lower calorie dinner and fit in their dessert.

So next time - go to dinner, have a good time, order something lighter for your entry, split the appetizer and dessert, and look at the red number on your diary and think "damn, that was good"
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is only pro-anorexia if you are anorexic. Otherwise, it is a reminder of why you are doing what you are doing.

There are plenty of people who want to lose weight for appearances who are considered in the "healthy" range. As long as you stay in the healthy range, and are not underweight, there is nothing wrong with that.

No, it's a quote that promotes eating disorders. The meaning behind the quote is, "Do you want to eat, or do you want to be skinny?" That's not really a normal way of thinking. We have to eat in order to live, we might as well enjoy the experience of eating. Food is amazing, there's no reason we should have to deprive ourselves. What's more important is learning how to eat healthy foods in healthy proportions.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look a little better, but when physical appearance is prioritized over health it's a bad situation and a slippery slope. Wanting to be a specific size size or wanting to see a specific number on the scale is a mental trap. How many times do people meet their goal and think, "I could go just a little bit farther?" More often than people realize. It's dangerous and this mentality should not be embraced. Our society as a whole is focused on physical appearance instead of health. It's sad, and obviously unhealthy.
  • teezmom
    Options

I agree! Its a motivator for me when I feel strongly tempted to overeat! It tells me that I have to stay focused on my purpose. My purpose is greater than my moment of weakness. I would not use it to keep me from eating at all.
    Hey guys, take the quote lightly!
  • teezmom
    Options
    Well said! Absolutely!

There is a difference between the "healthy range" and actually being HEALTHY. Being healthy is being able to walk around all day at the zoo without being tired or aching within a couple hours. Its being able to chase a toddler and grab him and lift him out of the way of a car.

Being a "healthy weight" is a misnomer. It just means some statistical analysis says that people in this range are GENERALLY healthier than those who are not. But I am a damn sight healthier than a lot of "healthy range" people I know, even though I'm 15lbs outside of a so called healthy BMI.

Also for the record, I actually DO like this quote for myself on some days. And I know food tastes good - I LOVE food. I got fat eating unbelievably delicious food in huge quantities (And I don't mean like people think mcdonalds and pizza is delicious, I mean eating sashimi and sushi until I was stuffed to the gills and loving every single little fishy bite).

And I still have all the delicious things I want in moderation, so to me this isn't a quote about denying myself all foodly pleasures (Even though I guess it is from most people's perspectives and I didn't know it was a Kate moss thing). For me its about being able to say "yeah, that oatmeal toffee cookie would be delicious right now but I have already eaten more than my fair share of delicious food today. We can have that delicious cookie tomorrow when we have a double workout planned. Eating that cookie right now won't taste as good as being skinny feels."

But I do intend to eat that cookie sometime, just not on a day that I also had homemade biscuits. *cough*

PS: To the OP - you don't have that much to lose. It sounds to me like you are WAY over-restricting your intake. There's no reason you couldn't have had dessert last night. A super rigid diet that takes away things you enjoy is a DIET THAT IS DESTINED TO FAIL.

I go over on my calories regularly. REGULARLY. OFTEN! A lot of times I just have the damn cookie, order the cheese plate, or whatever. and that is with my calories already being set quite high compared to some people.

Skinny people who have NOT dieted down to skinniness eat dessert. The difference is that they don't eat it every day or eat huge portions of it, or they order a lower calorie dinner and fit in their dessert.

So next time - go to dinner, have a good time, order something lighter for your entry, split the appetizer and dessert, and look at the red number on your diary and think "damn, that was good"
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Quoting: "No, it's a quote that promotes eating disorders. The meaning behind the quote is, 'Do you want to eat, or do you want to be skinny?'"

That, my friend, is a logical fallacy created by all-or-nothing thinking. She isn't saying that one must not eat in order to be skinny. Nothing in that quote advocates not eating. She is simply suggesting that you put your goal before your indulgences.

The problem is that people are hyper-sensitive about anything advocating thinness, which is ridiculous. I think this hyper-sensitivity is just adding to obesity epidemic in America. People are using it as an excuse to not watch their weight; it's created this unhealthy mindset that equates watching what you eat with anorexia.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    That is a Kate Moss quote I wish I could believe!

Today was rough. I have been creating a surplus of calories by eating tiny meals so that I can have dinner with my boyfriend and our mutual friend, but even with this surplus, I am still not able to have dessert and one of the side dishes. I am also cutting the appetizer in half! It kills!
    Tell that to a bulimic. After instructing clients my first few years to cut sweets, sugar, salt, carbs, etc. and see them lose weight, but gain it back because they "missed" their favorites, I am more of a realist as a trainer and don't really tell them to cut anything out now. My clients now don't have issues with dieting and regain. So yes you can have your taste buds happy and still be skinny if you stay in calorie control. That's really all it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I've been thin (healthy BMI) my whole life, and I like the quote. I also love food and OP's point that

"...simply suggesting that you put your goal before your indulgences."
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I don't believe that quote. In fact, I've noticed people who are overweight tend to not appreciate food as much. Think about the French culture-- they are obsessed with food but are known for being thin.

Same here! Very true...I read that "Why French Women Don't Get Fat" book just for kicks and it was quite interesting :)
  • Iuno
    Iuno Posts: 1
    Options
    To quote the inimitable Julia Child in 1990, "Everybody is overreacting. If fear of food continues, it will be the death of gastronomy in the United States. Fortunately, the French don't suffer from the same hysteria we do. We should enjoy food and have fun. It is one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life."
  • softsculptor
    Options
    To quote the inimitable Julia Child in 1990, "Everybody is overreacting. If fear of food continues, it will be the death of gastronomy in the United States. Fortunately, the French don't suffer from the same hysteria we do. We should enjoy food and have fun. It is one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life."

I love Julia!
  • softsculptor
    Options

Today was rough. I have been creating a surplus of calories by eating tiny meals so that I can have dinner with my boyfriend and our mutual friend, but even with this surplus, I am still not able to have dessert and one of the side dishes. I am also cutting the appetizer in half! It kills!
    Tell that to a bulimic. After instructing clients my first few years to cut sweets, sugar, salt, carbs, etc. and see them lose weight, but gain it back because they "missed" their favorites, I am more of a realist as a trainer and don't really tell them to cut anything out now. My clients now don't have issues with dieting and regain. So yes you can have your taste buds happy and still be skinny if you stay in calorie control. That's really all it is.

I wouldn't tell that to a bulimic. That would be inappropriate. This website is not for bulimics, though. It is for people trying to lose weight a healthy way.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I wouldn't tell that to a bulimic. That would be inappropriate. This website is not for bulimics, though. It is for people trying to lose weight a healthy way.

Actually, it's a site for people who are tracking their calories to reach their goals, whatever those goals may be. Some use it to gain weight, some use it to get healthy, and yes, unfortunately some do use it to encourage their eating disorders.
  • softsculptor
    Options

I am restricting myself, but I'm not over-restricting. I'm not eating less than 1,200 a day. Over-restricting would be eating less calories than that.

There is every reason I can't have dessert! If I do, I am going off track. Once I reach my goal I can increase the number of calories I eat by 500 and still maintain my goal weight - that means, in the future, I will be able to have dessert. So I think my diet is entirely attainable and sustainable in the long-term. Thanks for your opinion, though.
  • softsculptor
    Options

Actually, it's a site for people who are tracking their calories to reach their goals, whatever those goals may be. Some use it to gain weight, some use it to get healthy, and yes, unfortunately some do use it to encourage their eating disorders.

That may be the case, but it is not what the website is designed for. They are very upfront about their opinions on how the site should be used, moderate the forums to that effect, and have even programmed it so that people cannot eat less than the doctor-recommend amount of calories in a day. This is not an pro-eating disorder website.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Haha! I live in Paris (and my boyfriend is French). I am a huge foodie! That is part of my problem. I love it. I am constantly thinking about what I will eat next.

The French are thin because they have small portions and don't eat as much junk food. When I say small...I mean small. Breakfast is normally 1/4 to 1/3 of a baguette with jam or Nutella. Lunch is slightly larger, but not really..maybe a sandwich and fruit. Dinner is one helping of something more substantial.

The exception is when you are eating with friends and family, though. It is just like the holidays back home!

That breakfast would not be filling to me!!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see the quote I want to strangle somebody.

It's moronic.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see the quote I want to strangle somebody.

It's moronic.

Agreed. There is a reason why some foods are called "comfort" or "soul" foods. Food is meant to be enjoyed. It's exciting to try new foods, it's fun to talk about, fun to prepare and fun to share. Food is fuel, for our bodies and our souls. Why one would want to live restrictedly for long periods of time just for the sake of "being thin" is beyond my comprehension and this is coming from someone who recovered from anorexia in 2003 after a very troubling time in my life. 114 lbs, 5'7, living off fruit and yogurt and raisin bran. Now that I have a healthier and healed mindset about food, I use it to help me accomplish physical things I never thought I could do in the gym as well as out on the trails. It's all about balance. Mentally, physically and emotionally. Everyone has bad days when these aren't all in perfect balance, but our rational side of our brain tells us, it's okay, because there IS more to life than being thin and we have many years hopefully left to live, I can't imagine living like I used to the rest of my life when anorexic, restricting for quicker weight loss is IMO sad. Enjoy the process, be happy, be proud, love your food you were blessed to have put before you.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    That's a pro-anorexia quote.

Exactly!! I HATE this quote so much! For me, weight loss isn't about being skinny, it's about being HEALTHY both mentally and physically. I LOVE good food and I'm going to enjoy it along every step of this journey. Weight loss shouldn't be about depriving yourself of foods you love, it should be about learning healthier habits. And those healthy habits include knowing when to indulge!

I absolutely agree and this is very well-stated!

I would rather indulge in my slice of Godiva triple-chocolate cheesecake or the huge slice of Bailey's Irish Cream Tiramisu that a local bakery makes on my birthday than look like Kate Moss (and smoke as much as she does) any day.
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I agree. I like this quote. FOR ME it means that I can have a taste of things I love, but that I don't need to eat a whole piece of pie to enjoy it. I can balance my life out by having SMALL portions of things that I love, without giving up the hard work I have been doing. I love this quote!