egg beaters ...?

Options
Are egg beaters just egg whites? I've never heard of them before :embarassed:

Replies

• vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    Are egg beaters just egg whites? I've never heard of them before :embarassed:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    THere are some with yoks and some egg white only
    I use the original - they are ok as eggs but not quite as good as the real thing.

Can't tell a difference in them in recipes.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    egg beaters are an egg substitute, I just tried them for the first time and they are really good and about 1/4 the calories of real eggs. I don't know if they would have them overseas but i would check it out.... Hope this helps!:bigsmile:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are pasturized egg whites (with some color added) that you buy in cartons. I don't know if there is something similar where you live, but if not egg whites will work fine.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters is a product manufactured in St. Louis, Missouri and is currently sold in the United States by ConAgra Foods as a substitute for whole chicken eggs. Egg Beaters is made with real eggs and is composed of egg whites separated from their yolks and fortified with vitamins and other nutrients. Xantham gum and guar gum are also added as emulsifiers and thickeners. By eliminating the yolk, Egg Beaters has significantly fewer calories than whole eggs and has no fat or cholesterol. The product's slogan is, "The Real Thing. Only Better."

This is from wikipedia.

xantham and guar gum? No thanks - nothing but the real thing for me! :) I use egg whites and give the dog the yolks - works for me :laugh:
  • xenanoo
    Options
    Wow after reading Mollys answer... Im glad i use real eggs =p I'm betting they are cheaper too. I personally eat the yolks too =p I just work around the extra calories and fat =D tee hee.