Making it official.....Im not going back!

Options
Ive been on a weight loss/health journey for just over a year now and have lost 42lbs with 18 more to go. Ive dropped a few clothes sizes and have bought some new clothes along the way just to have a few items that fit 'right' during my transition. But, for some reason, I have held on to many of my 'fat' clothes thinking Id better keep them 'just in case'. They were nice work clothes and Ive spent alot of money over the years buying them so I didnt want to part with them only to have to go and buy new ones if I gained the weight back as I have in the past (up and down 20 lbs for years).

Well, yesterday I finally took the bags of clothes to a local thrift store. I almost hated to see them go and looked back at the bags as I walked past the bins they were now laying in....they were like old friends....weird I know! :) But, as soon as I did walk away I realized that I have now made my transformation official and I CANT go back to that weight...no, I WILL not! And, it feels GREAT!!! I dont have any more 'just in case' clothes. In fact, I went into the same thrift store and bought some gorgeous dresses that are my new size or even a bit smaller. It's amazing how letting go of what you know and having faith in yourself that you have made a permanent change for the better feels so exhilarating!

I encourage everyone to let go of whatever they hold on to 'just in case' they fail on this journey and make it OFFICIAL!

Replies

• merrick7871
    Options
    I like your thinking!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    tumblr_loz2hj25Zi1qzozj1.gif
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great post! just wondering how apt it'll be if instead of taking the car, I sprint down to the shop w/the bag of clothes hanging over my shoulder :happy:

I think I'll do that.
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    Great story!
  • julie4760
    Options
    well done it's a good thing to do I was out looking for some new clothes to fit me and my hubby says if you like the top so much what does it matter if it's a size too big, never will make that mistake again like you i'll wear what fits and never go back.
  • rcpayton
    Options
    Great post! just wondering how apt it'll be if instead of taking the car, I sprint down to the shop w/the bag of clothes hanging over my shoulder :happy:

I think I'll do that.

Great idea! I should have done that!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i'm not loosing weight. i'm getting rid of it. i have no intention of finding it again!
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm setting my old jeans aside and going to make a denim/flannel rag quilt soon :)
  • HouseHoldSix
    Options
    I did the same thing. Kept holding onto all the old clothes that didn't fit. I thought - 'they aren't THAT big." HA! I loaded all the too big clothes into the car and gave them away! Ahhhhhhhh. Feels good.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that was in shock the other day when I told her that any thing that I find that is too big I send to my mom (she is losing too and is about 20# behind me). The friend said "You don't keep some IN CASE?" I replied "In case what?" and it was funny to see her flounder a bit on that one!!! :laugh:
  • gmomlyn
    gmomlyn Posts: 134
    Options
    Your story hit home with me. For me, I gained weight (40 pounds) around the time I went through menopause in my mid-40's. I then did the diet/exercise thing to lose the weight....and I did lose it on two separate occasions about 2 years apart. But unfortunately, I got lazy and gained the weight back both times. In the meantime, I hung onto some of my bigger sized clothing I had to buy when I did gain weight mostly because I liked them, I paid a lot of money for them, and I figured if I gained a little of the weight back again I might need them. Not this time! I once again am doing the diet/exercise thing, but I want this to be the last time I do this. So far I have lost 28 pounds. 12 more to go, and hopefully a little more too! But this time.....I already started purging my closet of anything that is now too big on me. I'm not saving anything "just in case" or because I like it. When I get down to my new, smaller weight, I'm going to enjoy buying some new clothes to replace anything I give away. Then I'm going to make sure I never have to buy myself bigger sized clothes again!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
    Lin
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I did the same thing you did. Hanging onto your big clothes is like people who do a pre-nup. You go into it expecting to possibly fail.
  • rcpayton
    Options
    Glad to see Im not alone....getting rid of the larger size clothes was a pivotal moment for me...no turning back now!
  • julie4760
    Options
    Exactly, never mind all those that think we will fail so just in case you need to keep a hold of a few things, we have to have faith in ourselves. As an old quote says how can you move forward and grasp the future when your hands are full of yesterdays mistakes.
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I did the same thing you did. Hanging onto your big clothes is like people who do a pre-nup. You go into it expecting to possibly fail.

LOVE IT!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So great for you!! I've been thinking about doing the same thing. This may give me the strength to make it official. I'm not going back either.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    i'm not loosing weight. i'm getting rid of it. i have no intention of finding it again!

Made me smile
  • JamsAlex
    JamsAlex Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rid of mine too. It is really hard to take the first step but once you do it is a great feeling. It feels like you just had a burden taken off your back. I actually almost backed out the first time. One of the girls at work serves as my fashion police and tells me when it is time to retire clothes if I wear them too long. She will look at me and say, "you are done with those". It always makes me smile.

You should be really proud of yourself. That is a fanatic victory!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!