Exercise calories

I know MFP takes into account that one will eat their exercise calories back. But I have to be honest, that scares the crap out of me. I still have to play around to figure out how to keep my weight loss consistent, and it has not usually been through eating back calories. Is it just a mental block? Sometimes I am hungry and I cut it really close. I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but I am so ready to be where I want to be. I have lost almost 70 lbs in a liitle over 6 months. I would like to reach my fist goal weight by the end of the year (12 more pounds).

Just needed to vent more than anything else.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's a mental block. Let your logical mind override it. Consider your actually energy expenditure for the day vs the calories you are consuming. Do the math. :)
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    I eat back almost all my delicious exercise calories, and I lost almost 2.5 lbs last week! :D You should really try it. :)
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    I stopped eating back ALL the exercise calories I burn, guess what? I lost weight! More of it and faster. My body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm gaining muscle infact.

I think think it's nonsense to eat back ALL the calories you burn when you exercise. If you do, then you're not taking advantage of all those calories you burn!

My 2 cents.

- Mike
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    I tend to eat back a little less than half
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :flowerforyou: when I come back from a 90 minute walk with my energetic dogs and I feel slightly loopy and hungry, I eat something healthy and nutrition dense. It's like driving your car and almost running out of gas and refueling it. Refuel yourself the same way :bigsmile:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    I eat back about half my exercise calories (I don't have a HRM so that factors in for me) and I love it. I think it's silly to starve myself to lose weight because no one can sustain that forever, this is my life so I need to listen to my body and know that it needs good clean fuel to workout and build muscle properly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I stopped eating back ALL the exercise calories I burn, guess what? I lost weight! More of it and faster. My body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm gaining muscle infact.

I think think it's nonsense to eat back ALL the calories you burn when you exercise. If you do, then you're not taking advantage of all those calories you burn!

My 2 cents.

- Mike

Gaining muscle in a deficit. That's awesome. I wish I could defy the laws of thermodynamics too.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    The moral of the story is everyone is different.

I try to eat close to recommended intake (2000 ish) and then smash the gym (1000kCal+burn EACH and EVERY SINGLE day) ... often is more than enough to keep me hunger free, eat healthily and big and still lose weight... but again, that's just me.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I eat back about half my exercise calories (I don't have a HRM so that factors in for me) and I love it. I think it's silly to starve myself to lose weight because no one can sustain that forever, this is my life so I need to listen to my body and know that it needs good clean fuel to workout and build muscle properly.

Personally I agree... Also means you can have normal life... work hard and burn the amount of calories we were meant to as human beings per day and you can eat quite a bit and not gain!
  • I stopped eating back ALL the exercise calories I burn, guess what? I lost weight! More of it and faster. My body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm gaining muscle infact.

My 2 cents.

- Mike

Gaining muscle in a deficit. That's awesome. I wish I could defy the laws of thermodynamics too.

:laugh: