does anyone get "blue" this time of year??

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I used to but.....I know it's bad but 5-10 minutes a week in a tanning booth gives me the sunlight I need to keep going. This time of year I go to work in the dark and come home on the dark.

Read this article...............tanning beds are not as bad as everyone says they are...........

http://www.naturalnews.com/032792_tanning_beds_vitamin_D.html
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I used to but.....I know it's bad but 5-10 minutes a week in a tanning booth gives me the sunlight I need to keep going. This time of year I go to work in the dark and come home on the dark.

Read this article...............tanning beds are not as bad as everyone says they are...........

http://www.naturalnews.com/032792_tanning_beds_vitamin_D.html

With all the jargon and evidence the FDA cites as dangers for humans, people are becoming increasingly afraid to venture out into the light of day. In fact, tanning beds are designed to synthesize the perfect conditions of a summer's day, when the UV-rays are balanced to perfectly stimulate the maximum growth of melanin pigment, as well as vitamin D. It is because of these ideal conditions that people can absorb all the UVs and produce all the vitamin D they need in such a short period of time.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032792_tanning_beds_vitamin_D.html#ixzz1eIfKgrOP
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I sure do. And the end of daylight saving time makes it much worse. Oh, how I wish Indiana had never started DST! I hit my lowest low point around February though. I take vit D and St. John's wort. Both help a wee bit, but full spectrum lights and staying active help me the most.

I've been taking Vit D for many years, and last year convinced my hubby to try it too- he's not the pill taking type at all- but
    it had a dramatic effect on him too.

I also bought an inexpensive full spectrum light and leave it on my computer desk- knowing I'll sit there on MFP for at least 20 minutes.

Maybe they're both placebos, but they have made a HUGE difference for me.
    In fact, I take the Vit D year round, because I have a precancerous skin condition, so I limit my sun exposure in the summertime.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I sure do! Winter drags me down hard. I need to excesize extra hard and take vitaman D from lack of sun otherwise Im a goner!
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, so do I .Thats one of the reasons why I don't like winter....
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do. I have SAD and use indoor tanning as a way to get in a better mood but I haven't tanned since August. I definitely feel like I need to start up again. I desperately wish I lived somewhere warmer when October come around.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate this time of year for many reasons....
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think it's very normal. I sure do. For that matter, I get blue every Friday. Go figure. But the truth is, people feel lots of stress this time of year. And, there's always lots of disappointments with friends and family and with finances, etc. There's lots of activity for some people, lots of work. For others, there is no family, no friends, lots of lonesomeness and loss. People who are alone tend to feel more depression this time of the year.

I think the thing to do is to do things that really interest you, make you feel good. Don't feel obligated. Stay in shape as much as you can. Try to help others - think about others and you'll forget your own trouble.

I detest this time of the year and try to avoid everything about it. I don't celebrate it or listen to any of the music. I just sort of go into denial.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I certainly do. My uncle passed away on Christmas Night 2006 after fighting lung & pharyngeal cancer for 18 months. I was his sole caregiver; this time of November is when he really started going down. The cancer spread to his bones and we knew it was only a matter of time.... I left my Christmas decorations up til March 2007.. and even then, my now-ex-husband was the one to take them down. This year, I don't foresee any going up at all. Period. Not only because it's the 5th anniversary of my uncle's death, but because this is my first holiday season single after a 10 year marriage. (I know, I know. I don't have to deal with the out-laws anymore. It should be a celebration!!!) I'm just not feeling it.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For those that feel like you get depressed in the winter time, know that it's common even if you do not have seasonal affective disorder. If you don't want to see a psychiatrist, light therapy as some have mentioned is a decent alternative. I wouldn't say tanning is okay though, even though it kind of does the same thing but also with some negative effects. Try this website if you're interested, it's just one option: http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    I know how you feel, Christmas time can be really depressing! I lost my Mom and Dad when I was young, my brother and my grandma, so my biological family is gone. I married into a nice family, but my step daughter hates me and that is depressing, it sucks the fun out of Christmas!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Holidays are the worst for me. Sometimes we just ignore them as "holidays" and won't eat the traditional foods. We might have pizza for Thanksgiving, who knows?

Sometimes we take a cruise during the Christmas holidays to avoid all the "hype". But my life has been totally screwy and family for me are my partner and two fur babies and my Dad.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    After my Aunt lost her husband after xmas in Feb. She delved into her family and giving. It really helped her. That first year was tough. It's really been amazing to see them grow through the process. I think there's something to giving and getting your mind off your situation.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I actually get super bummed in the summertime, which a therapist once told me was kind of strange. I'm much happier when it's cold and gloomy. That being said, living in Los Angeles, cold and gloomy isn't probably all that cold and gloomy, in the grand scheme of things. But when I get seasonally bummed, exercise definitely helps more than ice cream. Although I've been known to indulge in both.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I actually get super bummed in the summertime, which a therapist once told me was kind of strange. I'm much happier when it's cold and gloomy. That being said, living in Los Angeles, cold and gloomy isn't probably all that cold and gloomy, in the grand scheme of things. But when I get seasonally bummed, exercise definitely helps more than ice cream. Although I've been known to indulge in both.
    Don't you love it when the head doctors think you top the cake on their weird list. I know I've probably made a few people question their choice of profession. LOL (probably not that bad but you know how it is when you get inside your own head.)
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your kind words. :flowerforyou:
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    I always get depressed around the holidays, and this year I got a great book that I am really into. It is funny but a good book can really take your mind off your troubles. Watching comedy shows helps too. Trying to surround myself with positive people helps as well. I wish you luck!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    If you're down in general over winter it's called winter depression. Which is actually surprisingly common, due to lack of sunlight (which your brain reacts to) and vitamin D (which your body gets out of sunlight). It got so bad that the Norwegian Army bought several day-light lamps and tanning beds to place in their camps up north (way, way up north) 'cause they don't even GET sunlight during winter. Complete darkness. So to keep people from getting dangerously depressed, they have mandatory tanning and daylight simulation.

I switch from my non-fat milk to a semi-skimmed one because they add vitamin D to it. That and make sure to stay outside when there is sunlight and keep a few extra lights on when there's definitive day-time at home. Winter can mess up your biological clock big-time if you have short days close to solstice.
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try finding a winter activity that you enjoy. My depression used to get so bad in the winter months that I had to take anti-depressants... until I discovered snowboarding! I can only get out once a week, but it gives me something to look forward to each week, and it makes the winter months fly by. Before I know it, the season is over and I'm bummed when I have to put my board away.

:)