Tips for getting hair to grow faster??

Options
I cut my hair to a cute bob & donated 11 inches to Locks of Love at the beginning of July. Now that its started to grow out, I want my long locks back ASAP! Tips or tricks for helping hair grow faster??

I've started doing an avocado-honey hair mask once a week. But I need more results!

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    take biotin
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    take biotin

She's right.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I cut my hair to a cute bob & donated 11 inches to Locks of Love at the beginning of July. Now that its started to grow out, I want my long locks back ASAP! Tips or tricks for helping hair grow faster??

I've started doing an avocado-honey hair mask once a week. But I need more results!

Please don't tell me that! I am currently scissor free for LoL. Thinking of a long bob myself. :)

**I've heard prenatal vitamins help.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You need to keep it in good condition. Have a good professional standard shampoo and conditioner (I know they cost alot but you don't need to use as much so they last longer.) make sure it suits your hair type.

Get your hair trimmed by your stylist every six to eight weeks, just the dead ends so your hair can concentrate on growing new hair instead of maintaining old ends.

Also eat protein as this is what your hair is made of so lots of protein in your diet will benefit the condition and growth of your hair and nails. aswell But a good balanced diet all round will keep them in the best condition.

Unfortunately I don't know any miracle growth tips and I work as a hairdresser! That's all I can give you. Hope it helps.
  • Thanks for the tips ladies!! I'll def try these out ASAP! :happy:
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird but this product called 'manentail' is supposed to help.
    http://manentail.com/
    Just so I don't look like an idiot, here are some reviews
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaNuspMmF0
    http://tinyurl.com/7jv8hgu
  • You need to keep it in good condition. Have a good professional standard shampoo and conditioner (I know they cost alot but you don't need to use as much so they last longer.) make sure it suits your hair type.

Get your hair trimmed by your stylist every six to eight weeks, just the dead ends so your hair can concentrate on growing new hair instead of maintaining old ends.

Also eat protein as this is what your hair is made of so lots of protein in your diet will benefit the condition and growth of your hair and nails. aswell But a good balanced diet all round will keep them in the best condition.

Unfortunately I don't know any miracle growth tips and I work as a hairdresser! That's all I can give you. Hope it helps.

Thanks so much! Good to get tips from someone in the business.
  • I know it sounds weird but this product called 'manentail' is supposed to help.
    http://manentail.com/
    Just so I don't look like an idiot, here are some reviews
    http://tinyurl.com/7jv8hgu

Thanks for all the research! I'll check it out!!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Biotin is good. So is Silica, and Flaxseed Oil. I take a B complex vitamin everyday and my hair grows really fast.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Nioxin products - I hear - are helpful. Shampoo and conditioner and the Nioxin recharging complex vitamins (which contain biotin also, but from what I can tell they have the same vitamins as so many on the market have plus some "proprietary ingredients").
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was told by my stylist to take botin, b complex and fish oil. It has really helped me with my hair growth. Good luck.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Okay as a hair dresser I'm going to come in here and just annoy you all by going there is NO WAY to make your hair grow faster. It's set genetically.

The only way your hair can grow faster is if you are currently malnourished (and therefore you hair slows down it's growth) and you then start eating the right nutrients. So if your macro nutrients aren't right taking hair and nail vitamins will help. These will also help make it feel like it's growing faster because your hair will be healthier as it grows and therefore less susceptible to damage and will break less.

The only other thing you can do is make it feel like it is growing faster by just looking after it.

1) Do less damage.
    This is the biggest rule ever for hair growth. If your hair gets damaged less, it breaks less. This makes it feel like it's growing quicker. This can be achieved by exposing it to less chemicals, protecting it from heated instruments and weather and brushing less.

2) Condition/treat your hair.
    This means your hair is being looked after and will break less. Therefore feeling like it is growing faster.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :) Also don't forget to eat lots of -healthy- fat. Here are two videos by Carrie of movesnmunchies.com on how a lack of fat affected her body overall and what it did to her hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZeYVfGBQ54M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vKGCZP6HJ-4
    and a blog post
    http://thehealthyapron.com/2011/05/08/dont-fear-the-fat/
  • Okay as a hair dresser I'm going to come in here and just annoy you all by going there is NO WAY to make your hair grow faster. It's set genetically.

The only way your hair can grow faster is if you are currently malnourished (and therefore you hair slows down it's growth) and you then start eating the right nutrients. So if your macro nutrients aren't right taking hair and nail vitamins will help. These will also help make it feel like it's growing faster because your hair will be healthier as it grows and therefore less susceptible to damage and will break less.

The only other thing you can do is make it feel like it is growing faster by just looking after it.

1) Do less damage.
    This is the biggest rule ever for hair growth. If your hair gets damaged less, it breaks less. This makes it feel like it's growing quicker. This can be achieved by exposing it to less chemicals, protecting it from heated instruments and weather and brushing less.

This means your hair is being looked after and will break less. Therefore feeling like it is growing faster.

I've been experimenting with some all natural homemade hair masks (like the avocado-honey, honey-egg yolk, etc). Do you think these help in conditioning/maintaining healthy hair or are just a waste of time?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Okay as a hair dresser I'm going to come in here and just annoy you all by going there is NO WAY to make your hair grow faster. It's set genetically.

1) Do less damage.

I've been experimenting with some all natural homemade hair masks (like the avocado-honey, honey-egg yolk, etc). Do you think these help in conditioning/maintaining healthy hair or are just a waste of time?

They're not a waste of time. They're really good for your hair. You just need to find which mask works best for your hair.
    Anything with egg is awesome.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I got a few tips. I'm trying to grow mine out too.

-dont shampoo too much.
    -condition daily (silicone free conditioners are best)
    -use a wide tooth or boar hair brush (less damaging to your hair)
    - make sure your hair is tangle free before you go to sleep/take a shower (tangles can cause breakage)
    -take your vitamins!
    -dont over heat treat your hair (it will cause breakage)

ummm..thats all i got off the top of my heat atm.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have a question (not to hijack your thread), do any of the hairdressers who posted here know if the rate your hair grows stays the same or does it slow with age?

My hair used to grow extremely fast and be very long (past my butt) but the last few years, it just doesn't grow nearly as fast (it seems).
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

1) Do less damage.

What kind of treatments/conditioner do you suggest?
    My already baby fine hair is breaking quite abit. Despite a ton of protein and biotin.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It is pricey but I have baby fine thin hair and I started using Ovations. It has helped my hair seem more healthy, I haven't noticed massive growth or anything but I have noticed healthier stronger hair.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    thankyou4theve is basically right. You can fix hair growth that is too slow, but making it grow faster if it is already healthy is different.

Cutting the ends has no effect on growth at the root. Your hair is not alive. It is a triple-strand of protein pushed out of the hair follicles by the live cells at the root. Once it leaves the hair follicle, it cannot be repaired and nothing that happens to it will be communicated to the cells at the roots.

Hair growth has several stages:
    1. It grows
    2. It becomes dormant and stays the same length a while
    3. It falls out
    4. The empty follicle starts to form a new hair
    5. Repeat from #1

Your hair appears to stop growing at a certain length because that is when it is becoming dormant and falling out at the same rate it is growing back. If you cut the ends, it will appear to grow, because now it is shorter than its determined maximum length. But it will appear to stop growing again once it hits "steady state" between growing and falling out again.

There are things that can alter the rate of hair growth. Estrogen helps hair grow faster and fall out less. When you are pregnant, your hair may be longer, and when you go through menopause it will go back to the thinness and shortness you had before puberty. Overactive thyroid can make it grow faster, and underactive makes it grow slower.

Hair breakage is a big factor in whether your hair reaches "steady state" length or not. That's why hair care can make a difference. Look at the hairs in your brush or the drain in your shower. See if they have roots attached or not. If they mostly have roots, they are falling out at their natural pace. If they mostly don't, they are being weakened and breaking.

In addition to damage from harsh shampoos, perms/straighteners, hot dryers and curling irons, you can put a weak spot in a hair by being nutritionally deficient. You won't see the hair breakage immediately, but a few weeks out from a period of eating too little protein, calcium and other nutrients, you may notice a lot of lost hair without roots, and a lot of little broken hairs sticking up from the top of your head.