Did anyone stop exercising or cut back when they were trying

Options
Pregnant

I am thinking about either stopping altogether after Thanksgiving or maybe exercising every other day? I currently go on the treadmill for about 45-60 minutes everyday.

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Trying to what?

Why would you stop exercising?
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Why? This is the most important time of the year to exercise.....to work off extra holiday calories.....why would you? What are your thoughts?
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Trying for a bay? I would ask a doctor.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    i think whats important here is actually what she is not saying. I am getting the feeling you are burning out on the treadmill. Am i correct?

never mind i didnt see the trying for a baby...i wouldnt cut back until you are into your pregnancy
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Trying for a bay? I would ask a doctor.

That would be my guess as well.

You don't have to change your exercise routine if you're trying to conceive or even if you're pregnant as long as your body is used to the activity level. It's only in the later months when exercise can be difficult that you need to start taking it easy. As long as you can talk during your exercise and aren't getting light-headed or out of breath you're just fine to exercise everyday.
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    to conceive. I did not finish my question
  • NovemberWolf
    Options
    I'm not sure what your goals are but I would not recommend stopping working out. When I started working out 2 1/2 years ago I did P90X and thought after 90 days I would quit since it is a 90 day program. Well 2 1/2 years later I still workout 6 days a week for 1hr or less a day. It's a life time commitment and it's the only way I can keep in great shape and eat what I want in moderation. It does not take long before you lose any progress that you have made if you stop all together. At least do every other day at the minimum.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I completely missed the trying to have a baby too.....sorry.....
  • NovemberWolf
    Options
    Ok I didn't see the concieve part. I would still workout if you are able.

ANthony
  • Jeanet69
    Options
    Nope... I should though... I love to eat too much.!!!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was hitting the gym six times a week each time I got pregnant. Once I did, I just increased some of my iron and protein because I hate taking supplements.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No need to stop while trying to get pregnant-you want to make sure you're good and healthy. I stopped going to the gym about 4 months into my pregnancy, I was just too exhausted. I started going back as soon as I got the ok from my ob. I have heard though that women who work out during their pregnancy have an easier labor. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that but it makes sense to me. Good luck!!
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The amount of exercise you are doing isn't enough to interfere with trying to conceive. Very high amounts of exercise can actually cause some women to stop having their cycle and that would be a problem, but these days most doctors are fine with you continuing your exercise routine during trying to conceive and even once you are pregnant (assuming you know to listen to your body and stop if your body is telling you that you are doing too much).

While I was TTC, I was exercising about 1 hour of cardio a day (run/walk intervals or sometimes incline intervals on the treadmill) and my doctor was encouraging me to continue. I'm now 6.5 months pregnant and I'm still walking about an hour a day though I've had to slow the pace down as the pregnancy has gone on and I've also had to stop using an incline on the treadmill (I had to slow down because my breathing would get harder at slower speeds and the incline tended to cause more back pain). I'm actually high-risk but my OB and my Perinatologist are happy that I'm exercising because the reasons I'm high-risk aren't reasons that would cause me not to be active. Naturally though once you are pregnant you would want to check with your OB in case you have a specific circumstance that would cause exercise to be unsafe for you or your baby.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! Don't stop. Once you get pregnant you can continue to exercise at your current level too. If you stop now, you will have a more difficult time later while pregnant (doctors are okay with continuation of an exercise program, but they do not suggest starting something new and intense). Exercise is great for the baby and will help you lose the pregnancy weight faster later.

With my first, I was an exercise instructor up until 8 months of pregnancy. I was teaching beforehand too. So, exercise did not prevent pregnancy and I had a very healthy baby.

*** Your calories will be more important. Once you get pregnant, you will need to talk to your doctor and most likely increase your calories to maintenance plus 200-300 more. You don't have to "eat for two" but you do need to nourish you and your baby.

Best of luck!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your activity level and how your body has adjusted to it thus far. If you're an endurance athlete, you may be having fertility problems because of it.

http://www.dailycamera.com/health-fitness/ci_19283560?utm_source=Endurance+Sportswire+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3b5cdf3a1c-ESW+Newsletter+9/28/11&utm_medium=email

If you're NOT an endurance athlete and you're just having trouble getting pregnant, I wouldn't think that working out would be the cause of it unless you're just working out totally hard core - more so than what your body is used to. If you're still having regular periods, I don't think your exercise is affecting your fertility. Consult a doctor, of course, but unless you're an athlete like the women in the above referenced article, I'd say it's safe to continue exercising as you are.
  • summersk
    Options
    When I was six months pregnant with my son I took it upon myself to learn karate. I worked out and stretched at least three days a week until exactly one week before my son's birth. If you are used to working out then you should continue to do so even after you conceive, though you may want to take things a little easier and lay off any stomach exercises while you are. I know that when I was in labor with my son it was 100 times easier than my daughter and I didn't exercise at all with her! You should still talk to your doctor though.