Getting close to goal.... need advice

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am 5 pounds away from my goal weight of 155. I am thinking about re-evaluating once I get there. In the mean time, I have seen other people lower their rate of loss to 1/2 a pound. Does anyone know how successful that is? Should I change mine now and then up the rate of loss if I decide to lose another 10? I'm struggling with this because I am not very educated on this part... i've never ever gotten this far in weight loss before. I've never been this size (since middle school).... i'm now 24, 159 pounds and wearing size 10 jeans/medium shirts......... i'm very excited about my success, just need a little advice for the end.......

Thanks in advance!! Feel free to friend me if you want also :-)

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I plan on switching to .5/week after the holidays. Right now I'm set higher to help counteract Thanksgiving, my 40th birthday and no less than 3 different Christmas parties and my personal goal is on January 1st to weigh what I weigh now. After that I'm going to use the .5/week setting to ease into maintenance. My reasoning is that I've lost weight before and promptly found it again and this should help me learn to eat closer to the amounts I'll need to maintain. It's all a learning experience and I never want to go back lol. Congratulations on nearly reaching your goal.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I know the closer you are to the goal, the lower your weekly goal should be. 0.5/week sounds very reasonable for only having 5 lbs to lose. I would definitely try that for a couple weeks and see if you are losing any weight. If not, come seek some more advice and maybe people can peek into your diary and see what can help you :)

also, I do know people who have lowered their goals and saw results the same week or a few weeks later.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have lost 96 pounds and want to lose 10 more. I am having the hardest time reaching the last leg of this journey. So I will be monitoring this Blog. Thanks!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have lost 96 pounds and want to lose 10 more. I am having the hardest time reaching the last leg of this journey. So I will be monitoring this Blog. Thanks!

WTG on your current loss!! I have lost a total of 95, which includes my journey w/ Weight Watcher's before I fell off the wagon! Good luck to you w/ your last 10.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've played with both settings. For me, I found that setting a goal loss of 1 lb/week, actually ends up with me losing about 0.5 lbs a week. Just play with it some and see what works for you. Keep in mind, the closer you get to your ideal weight, the slower the pounds come off... but you can still make progress, so don't get discouraged!
  • niknak0508
    Options
    I've played with both settings. For me, I found that setting a goal loss of 1 lb/week, actually ends up with me losing about 0.5 lbs a week. Just play with it some and see what works for you. Keep in mind, the closer you get to your ideal weight, the slower the pounds come off... but you can still make progress, so don't get discouraged!

Thanks for this!! I will try the 1/2 pound for a week and see what happens. :-)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! I've been struggling with this decision for weeks. I too am 5 to 6 lbs from goal. I was wondering how to transition from fat loss to maintenance without just suddenly slamming into it and messing up my hard work. I read an article...I will try to find it..sorry about how this lady lost a lot of weight by doing one simple thing. She said I want to weigh this number..example 135. ...she was like 160 or something. She looked up the calories needed for someone her height at 135...she started eating the maintenance calories for that weight. Now mind you she wasn't that weight at the start. What did this mean? She was eating below her maintenance calories of a person weighing 160 so she was already eating at a deficit. So before she knew it she not only got used to eating at the new amount..she lost weight! She also met her goal and did something I have been doing for 5 weeks. She zig zagged her calories so she didn't get totally stuck on a number. I have been zig zagging and have really liked it and the results lately. So today I decided to go and figure out what my goal weight's maintenance calories are..they are 1759 So for right now I'm zig zagging slightly under that and will continue getting closer to it until I'm at goal. If I only use a quarter of a pound or half a pound a week that's ok. I want this to be a lifetime thing. I'm not running a race. It took me a long time to get this weight off an I see the end in sight. I just want to know how to get there and stay there..no going back.

Good luck everyone!

Nichole
  • niknak0508
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! I've been struggling with this decision for weeks. I too am 5 to 6 lbs from goal. I was wondering how to transition from fat loss to maintenance without just suddenly slamming into it and messing up my hard work. I read an article...I will try to find it..sorry about how this lady lost a lot of weight by doing one simple thing. She said I want to weigh this number..example 135. ...she was like 160 or something. She looked up the calories needed for someone her height at 135...she started eating the maintenance calories for that weight. Now mind you she wasn't that weight at the start. What did this mean? She was eating below her maintenance calories of a person weighing 160 so she was already eating at a deficit. So before she knew it she not only got used to eating at the new amount..she lost weight! She also met her goal and did something I have been doing for 5 weeks. She zig zagged her calories so she didn't get totally stuck on a number. I have been zig zagging and have really liked it and the results lately. So today I decided to go and figure out what my goal weight's maintenance calories are..they are 1759 So for right now I'm zig zagging slightly under that and will continue getting closer to it until I'm at goal. If I only use a quarter of a pound or half a pound a week that's ok. I want this to be a lifetime thing. I'm not running a race. It took me a long time to get this weight off an I see the end in sight. I just want to know how to get there and stay there..no going back.

Good luck everyone!

Nichole

I'm with you on this! I want this to be a lifestyle change, I am not interested in going back to 255 EVER again. I know it will take a lot of hard work even after I am done losing. It has taken me over 2 years to lose this weight myself....... after a lot struggles and even more success I am pretty happy with my progress!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes I will never be 240 again! People ask me..when will you stop dieting? I'm like it's not a temporary thing. I will always always have watch what I eat or else I'll go right back to my old habits.