Proof was in the numbers on the scale...

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
My partner and I started MFP on the same day. She has lost 10 pounds and I have lost 6. We have been eating Lean Cuisines two to three meals a day and snacking on much healthier options than our previous snack choices. We were invited to a Super Bowl Party at our friends' place in Washington. This meant a weekend trip. We decided to put the diet aside for two days and eat the meals and snacks our friends prepared for us. We figured the damage would only be a couple pounds that we could work off fairly quickly when we got back on track Monday. The first thing we noticed was the pizza and dips that we once loved didn't taste as good to us as they used to. The second thing we both noticed was neither of us could eat the quantity we once could. The funny part of this was we were experiencing the same things but didn't discuss this until we were back home. My partner even went as far as to put horseradish on the pizza in an attempt to make it more appealing, lol. The other difference was we drank beer instead of wine. By Sunday night we both felt physically ill. Monday morning when I got on the scale I had gained five pounds!!! My partner had gained two. If you looked at the quantity of food we both had eaten it didn't look like a big deal. BUT if you looked at the calories from a slice of pizza, eggs with bacon, a couple beers and McDonalds it really added up fast! I can't believe we used to eat like this almost every weekend! The good news is we both dropped almost all the weight in two days. Around four and a half of the pounds I gained was gone by Tuesday. It was freaky. I think a lot of it had to be from the sodium in the dips and fast food. The thing is even though the pounds were gone we both felt....well I guess gross would be a good word for it...for about a week. It was like we had consumed something our bodies were telling us was really not good and wanted it gone. This experience really opened my eyes to the benefits of better nutritional choices.

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    My partner and I started MFP on the same day. She has lost 10 pounds and I have lost 6. We have been eating Lean Cuisines two to three meals a day and snacking on much healthier options than our previous snack choices. We were invited to a Super Bowl Party at our friends' place in Washington. This meant a weekend trip. We decided to put the diet aside for two days and eat the meals and snacks our friends prepared for us. We figured the damage would only be a couple pounds that we could work off fairly quickly when we got back on track Monday. The first thing we noticed was the pizza and dips that we once loved didn't taste as good to us as they used to. The second thing we both noticed was neither of us could eat the quantity we once could. The funny part of this was we were experiencing the same things but didn't discuss this until we were back home. My partner even went as far as to put horseradish on the pizza in an attempt to make it more appealing, lol. The other difference was we drank beer instead of wine. By Sunday night we both felt physically ill. Monday morning when I got on the scale I had gained five pounds!!! My partner had gained two. If you looked at the quantity of food we both had eaten it didn't look like a big deal. BUT if you looked at the calories from a slice of pizza, eggs with bacon, a couple beers and McDonalds it really added up fast! I can't believe we used to eat like this almost every weekend! The good news is we both dropped almost all the weight in two days. Around four and a half of the pounds I gained was gone by Tuesday. It was freaky. I think a lot of it had to be from the sodium in the dips and fast food. The thing is even though the pounds were gone we both felt....well I guess gross would be a good word for it...for about a week. It was like we had consumed something our bodies were telling us was really not good and wanted it gone. This experience really opened my eyes to the benefits of better nutritional choices.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have found the same thing. We have been eating better for over a month now and when we have gone off the good eating, we both feel ill and sluggish.

There is no appeal in the nachos and beer that we used to inhale on a Friday night. But a big plate of veggies and I am there!

We also found that we are not eating as much as we use dto and put it down to the quality of food we are eating. When your body is getting good food that it knows how to process, it all works much more efficiently
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for super bowl weekend. Beer & all the bad stuff - while the quantities were not huge, the calories were ABSURD. I packed-back on two pounds too... It took me weeks to lose 2 pounds & a weekend to blow it.:sad:
  • scrappy11
    Options
    "We have been eating Lean Cuisines two to three meals a day and snacking on much healthier options than our previous snack choices."

******BE careful with Lean Cuisines..they have a TON of sodium in them which can cause you to gain weight and sodium which will soak up all of your water. I would maybe cut down on the lean cuisines and stick with homemade meals. I know it is expensive to live and eat healthy but it is all worth it too. I think you wil be amazed at how much weight you will lose by cutting out all of that sodium. If you need to bring a lunch to work or something...check out healthy choice..they have the best meals out there for less sodium! :) SOrry I dont mean to nag but this happened to me too and now I don't eat those more than one day a week cause they are so high and I have lost a significantly large amount of weight. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • Frost
    Options
    "We also found that we are not eating as much as we use dto and put it down to the quality of food we are eating. When your body is getting good food that it knows how to process, it all works much more efficiently "

That makes so much sense! Happy to see you and your hubby are taking this challenge on together. It makes it so much more enjoyable and easier! :happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It sure does make it easier... especially since I cook. If he wanted to eat the old way he'd be pretty grumpy!
  • Frost
    Options
    I'll have to start checking the sodium levels more closely on the boxes. So far the Lean Cuisines have worked great for us! Thanks for the tip.
  • Frost
    Options
    It sure does make it easier... especially since I cook. If he wanted to eat the old way he'd be pretty grumpy!

Lol....yeah I could see that being an issue. My partner used to pre-cook our meals for the week because we have such opposite schedules. Then we found we actually save time and money by buying the pre-made meals.
  • Frost
    Options
    I did the same thing for super bowl weekend. Beer & all the bad stuff - while the quantities were not huge, the calories were ABSURD. I packed-back on two pounds too... It took me weeks to lose 2 pounds & a weekend to blow it.:sad:

Beer seems to equal instant weight gain. Calories per ounce, depending on what type you drink, it's about the same as wine but man does it make a difference.