How important is sodium??

Options
I can generally eat healthy foods. I love vegetables and lean meats and I am not much for anything sweet. On the other hand, my sodium intake is usually very high! If I am doing good on all my other goals like calories, fat, sugars and fiber, can I cut myself some slack on the sodium??

Replies

• anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump , totally would like to know the answer!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Hmm guess I was wrong. I still think it's important to be somewhat conscious of it.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about hypertension than water weight... how's your blood pressure?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    To me... not important at all. I don't seem to retain water from a salty day. My blood pressure is so low that my Dr. asked if I was getting enough salt in my diet. And... I sweat like a fiend when I exercise. I don't see any reason to watch my sodium.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It is very good but I do drink alot of water....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any medical problems that would be affected, the only thing I know of is the possibility of retaining water. Which is not the end of the world, but can be uncomfortable, and frustrating to see those extra pounds on the scale, even if they aren't permanent.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If your blood pressure is normal/low - I don't think it is too much of an issue. As long as you aren't consuming ridiculous amounts... A little over should be fine. Mine is over every now and again, and I have super low BP, so I don't pay too much attention. Are you eating a lot of processed foods? I find that cutting those out really helps.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I try to cook everything from cratch but I add alot of seasonings. I love fish sauce, oyster sauce, ect.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I try to cook everything from cratch but I add alot of seasonings. I love fish sauce, oyster sauce, ect.
    Try pure lemon juice next time. I just discovered this amazing thing about lemon juice: it adds "salty" flavor without actual sodium count.