stomach shrink?????

Options
I heard both sides, but is it true, does your stomach strink, when you put less in it???? I have noticed that I am not eating as much, getting fuller faster

Replies

• zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    I heard both sides, but is it true, does your stomach strink, when you put less in it???? I have noticed that I am not eating as much, getting fuller faster
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it actually shrinks, or if it's just getting use to having less put in it. Like you I've heard both ways.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I've heard that it will shrink back down to it original size. It gets stretched out when you eat more and as you eat less it will go back to it original size, like filling a balloon with air.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    hmmm, interesting, may have to ask Dr sometime???
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I can't remember, but I think it has something to do with the nerves sensing and sending the full message. The more we eat, them ore it takes for that to happen.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I found this on-line

"When you have not eaten for about four hours your stomach will be relatively empty, looks a bit like a deflated balloon and in this state, holds about 50ml. Once full, however, it can greatly expand and hold up to 4 litres of food and drink. Fasting can not therefore shrink the stomach; it simply remains in the empty, deflated state. As soon as you start eating and drinking normally again, it expands once more. "

I liken it to our dog. ( Not saying we are dogs). When we first got her we did not know about feeding quality dog food and gotthe cheap stuff. She ate and ate and never got full. After we clued in, we bought Iams and she only needs a couple of cup fulls ( she is a 65lb dog) each day and she is satisfied.

I guess the good fuel makes a difference
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do know that if I personally eat well/ light for a few days, then I'm much less hungry. If I eat heavy and get full for a few days, then it takes that much more to fill my stomach up and I feel constantly heavy. I don't know if it's in my mind but I do feel like my stomach gets used to less food or more food so in a way I think it "shrinks."
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Havingitall... Is Iams quality dog food? I've heard that it has byproducts in it that are as bad as the super cheap Alpo stuff. But maybe I heard wrong. I'll go look at the ingredients because it's cheaper than the natural and expensive stuff so I'm hoping it's quality!

Anyway I've also noticed that when I watch what I eat, my stomach apppears flatter and I see more muscle definition. Whereas after a full meal or a few days of not eating well, it appears bloated. To me that's another way that it "shrinks" when I'm good and "inflates" when I'm bad.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    no, it doesn't actually shrink. But you will get used to smaller portion sizes, and not feel so hungry all the time :flowerforyou:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Then what makes it visably expand when I've eaten too much? What makes it look flatter when I haven't eaten that much or eaten well consistently? Do you mean it doesn't "permenantly" shrink but it can temporarily expand and shrink?

Sorry for my stupid questions but this question intrigues me.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    well ya it expands. blow up a balloon and it gets bigger right? cause it's full and being stretched. When you let the air out it goes back to it's original size, you can't make that balloon any smaller though.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense. So maybe it's not that your stomach "shrinks" but it just retains its natural size better when you eat better, instead of expanding.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Havingitall... Is Iams quality dog food? I've heard that it has byproducts in it that are as bad as the super cheap Alpo stuff. But maybe I heard wrong. I'll go look at the ingredients because it's cheaper than the natural and expensive stuff so I'm hoping it's quality!

I've read about some cruel tests done during Iams product testing. They take muscle samples from dogs to see whether certain formulas work better than others.

As far as whether the ingredients are quality - probably not much worse than Fiber One!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I've read about some cruel tests done during Iams product testing. They take muscle samples from dogs to see whether certain formulas work better than others.

As far as whether the ingredients are quality - probably not much worse than Fiber One!

Muscle samples are taken from people, too. It's called a muscle biopsy and it hurts a lot, but it's legal. They're not removing so much that it's not reparable. :smile:

Your stomach really is just like the deflated balloon, except that it's one big muscle.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Purina! All the way. We are a Purina Exclusive family. Katie the sheltie eats Lamb and rice because of her allergies and Emily the 5 month old golden lab eats large breed puppy food. Katie had to switch to this when she was brand new because she had allergies and was breaking out real bad in big blisters. So, we switched her over to Purina Exclusive Lamb and rice and she has done find for 10 years now.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have a dog named Katie too but she's a corgi mix. And the big one in my profile pic, named Venus.

Sorry for the threadjack but lately I've been interested in what to feed my fur babies.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Muscle samples are taken from people, too. It's called a muscle biopsy and it hurts a lot, but it's legal. They're not removing so much that it's not reparable. :smile:

Your stomach really is just like the deflated balloon, except that it's one big muscle.

Well, muscle samples are only taken from people with their consent. A lot of things are legal, but that doesn't mean I want to support them. I don't want to get into a whole debate over animal testing - as I support testing for most pharmaceuticals - but I was appalled when I learned about this. It just seems very hypocritical to inflict damage on dogs so that you can make a claim on a bag of dog food.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I used to foster dogs/puppies for a local shelter and they pushed Diamond dog food. You have to special order it most of the time - and its generally only available at feed stores but its fantastic. (Its what a lot of dog breeders/racers use - which clues you in to how high quality it is) Its also not expensive.

They don't advertise, so I always like pushing them through word of mouth. :bigsmile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks Allen. I fostered mine before I adopted her (there went the fostering plan... oops!) and that program used and encouraged Science Diet. I've read that they used to be good but have since become little better than otheres. So I will look into this Diamond food.
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I believe your stomach does shrink. How can it not when you are actively trying to lose weight. I have lost almost 100 pounds and I get full on so much less now, it is amazing to me. Before I lost the weight, I would just eat and eat and not even feel full. Just my 2 cents...:bigsmile: