Peanut Butter Recall - Salmonella

Options
Sorry if this was already posted, but knowing how many PB junkies there are on this site, I thought some of you might be interested in this. If you eat this brand of PB and live in one of the affected states, check your jar against the product codes listed below. I got this info from the CNN web site.

The J.M. Smucker Company announced Thursday that it is voluntarily recalling certain 16-ounce jars of peanut butter over concerns about salmonella contamination.

"No illnesses related to this issue have been reported and the product is being recalled out of an abundance of caution for consumer safety," according to a company press release.

They go on to say that the "recall was initiated as the result of a routine sampling program by the company, which revealed that these finished products may contain the bacteria."

Smucker's is specifically recalling 16-ounce jars of "Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter Chunky," sold between November 8 and 17. None of the company's other products are being recalled at this time.

The peanut butter was distributed in District of Columbia and the following 24 states: Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin.

The company says the affected products also contain the following information:

UPC: 5150001701 (located on the side of the jar's label below the bar code)
Production Codes: 1307004 and 1308004
Best-If-Used-By dates: August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012

If you have a peanut butter included in this recall, the company recommends discarding the jar immediately, and calling Smucker's at 1-888-550-9555 for a replacement coupon.

In 2009, a Salmonella outbreak linked to a Georgia peanut factory caused close to 700 illnesses and nine deaths. The source of the contamination was traced back to poor sanitary conditions at a single processing plant in Georgia. All told, more than 3,900 products were recalled.

Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps in infected patients; often starting within one to three days after eating contaminated products. Most patients with Salmonella will recover fully, but elderly patients, small children and people with compromised immune systems may require extensive hospitalization and treatment.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This proves that smooth peanut butter is superior.

Thank you for posting this.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    With a name like Smuckers....
    you had to see this *kitten* coming from a mile away.

Just kiddin'. I wanted to post something so it would show up in my friends' News Feeds if they don't read the forums. :smile:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not the brand I use, so I guess I'm safe. And I don't live in the states.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks! mine is creamy.. but i'll double check the bar code.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Actually you can begin experiencing symptoms of salmonellosis 12 hours after ingesting the affected product, and it doesn't take much to make you ill! If you're healthy as a general rule, it might be a quick way to lose a few pounds, though! :laugh: (Okay I'm kidding, not advocating such a thing, just to be clear!!)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    MaraNatha FTW!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    This proves that smooth peanut butter is superior.
    Heresy!
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I eat lots of Smuckers PB, but I've got the creamy kind. I think I'll check it against the code just to make sure, though. And still, it makes me a little nervous...