Mashed Cauliflower?

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Depends how you do it. Mine tastes a lot like mashed potatoes if I steam it, put it through a potato ricer (or just chop it up in a food processor) and add a little butter, pepper, & a smidge of garlic.

Cheesy version that is awesome: 1 head cauliflower, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp garlic, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 1/3 cup ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup gorgonzola.

I just ate my dinner and you are making me DROOL. Not hard, I read gorgonzola and my taste buds start cheering ;)
  • skinnygirldiet
    Options
    It's one of my favourite meals ever! I'm vegan so I mash mine with a little soya milk, salt and onions. Mmmm :)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you put it in your food processor ..add an ounce of cream cheese (1/3 fat kind) ..and some salt pepper and garlic powder, Then process it till it's smooth. I promise you'll be so happy to be on a "diet" lolol

it's the best. I use it also for shepards pie.
  • Slw2688
    Options
    Do you guys use frozen cauli or fresh when u do this???
    sounds really good and waaayyyy less cal than mash taters!!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if you have to cook it so much that its soft enough to mash you are going to loose a lot of the nutrients. Then if you add cheese you are just adding carbohydates, so what's the point. I think I'll eat my cauli al dente.
    That's why I usually steam it instead of boiling. You don't lose any nutrients that way.

Adding cheese adds carbs? Depends on what kind of cheese you use. Anyway, the carbs are negligible, per serving, especially compared to *real* mashed potatoes. Which is kind of the point: finding a low-carb substitute that looks, feels, and more-or-less tastes like mashed potatoes, because sometimes I really miss them. But unlike potatoes, cauliflower won't spike my blood sugar & cause an insulin reaction & make me miserable. It's a good compromise.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Love it....with lots of butter and cream, salt/pepper.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    here is the secret..

you got to add about a 1/4 cup of instant mashed potato flakes....not that much carb in a serving..but that gives it the real potato taste and the Romano cheese (shaker) makes it tighten up and be a little thicker...use real butter too..

great stuff

dont eat too much!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes and I like it. I think it depends on the preparer as to whether it tastes like mashed potatoes or not. I first tried these at Rafferty's restaurant and couldn't tell the difference.

I've tried a couple different recipes from a recipe site online and they were all good, some better than others. But I think it is worth your time to try it. A great way to get children to eat cauliflower too!
    The only way cauliflower could taste like potatoes is if you have so much other stuff in it that you can't taste it. Potatoes have a taste, by themselves. Cauliflower is great but I feel like anyone who thinks it tastes like potatoes either has an underdeveloped palate or thinks potatoes just taste like butter.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if you have to cook it so much that its soft enough to mash you are going to loose a lot of the nutrients. Then if you add cheese you are just adding carbohydates, so what's the point. I think I'll eat my cauli al dente.

Cheese has very minimal carbohydrates so the cauliflower with cheese added is still way less than mashed potatoes and it is way better for you than potatoes.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    If you put it in your food processor ..add an ounce of cream cheese (1/3 fat kind) ..and some salt pepper and garlic powder, Then process it till it's smooth. I promise you'll be so happy to be on a "diet" lolol

it's the best. I use it also for shepards pie.

ooh!! on shepherd's pie?? What a great idea! My BF and I LOVE making turkey shepherd's pie and this would be a great way to make it even healthier! :) Thanks for the suggestion!
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Agree. I have tried this but I don't add cheese, just some Olive Oil I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, very little salt, some pepper and garlic powder.

I'm sure it does take a lot of nutrients out of it if you boil (I've heard steaming is better).
    I think this is a much better alternative than potatoes though. It might not give you much in the way of nutrients but it will take care of the potato craving. :wink:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm with Elizabeth. I can definitely tell a potato from cauliflower, unless you put a bunch stuff on it to mask the taste.
    I'm not a big fan of one food trying to mimic another. Potatoes and cauliflower taste different. I won't like cauliflower any better just because it is mashed.
    I'm not a cauliflower hater!
    I do however prefer potatoes mashed and like cauliflower with a sprinkle of lemon pepper.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I was just wondering, has anyone tried this? I heard that it tastes like mashed potatoes.

Anyone know?

gave it a go last night... its VERY tasty (i did mine with garlic spread, low fat butter, skim milk, and parmesan cheese - first steamed and blended, then baked in the oven with even more garlic and parm on top!) but it really doesn't taste like potatoes. it tastes like mashed up cauliflower! i'm a huge fan of cauliflower though, so this was fine by me! someone suggested adding some potatoe flakes to it... that might help with the consistency.

even though it doesn't taste like potatoes though, for me, its a keeper. :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't taste like mashed potatoes because it's not potatoes, but I feel it's a very viable substitute. I used to mash with a potato masher but I felt the consistency wasn't smooth enough so now I put it in my blender and puree it. It's much smoother and velvety. My kids love this stuff. I served it to guests who didn't know it wasn't potatoes and while they noticed a difference in flavor they were totally into it. I add chicken stock for flavor in addition to salt and pepper and some smart balance. Sometimes I will add a bit of light sour cream if it's in the house. I love it. I think the key when you eat it for the first time is to not expect mashed potatoes. It was never a problem for me because I'm not really a potato person. I happen to really like cauliflower. Another way I make it is to separate into flowerets and roast in the oven. Yum!
  • origins15
    Options
    I love it, great substitute for mash potatoes
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I would love to know how to make it. I tried it once, the way you would make mashed potatoes but with cauliflower, and it was a fail. Would not mash, even in a blender. Tricks?

boil it longer. you want it to be super duper soft.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    here is the secret..

you got to add about a 1/4 cup of instant mashed potato flakes....not that much carb in a serving..but that gives it the real potato taste and the Romano cheese (shaker) makes it tighten up and be a little thicker...use real butter too..

great stuff

dont eat too much!

It's been a while since I've made these, but I've never heard of adding a bit of mashed tater flakes - gonna give this a try for sure, sounds fabulous!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love it, as well as other mashed white veg (parsnips, turnips, etc.). But they do not taste like potatoes. If you want the potato taste use a mix of cauliflower and potatoes and mash together. I've served this to friends and they didn't even know it was all potatoes. Prepare just as you would for regular mashed potatoes.