Quick-N-Easy French onion soup

Options
StevLL
StevLL Posts: 921 Member
Start with your favorite onion, Slice into 1/8th inch slices then slice the slice in half (across the circle), brown up the onions in the pot with about 2tbsp butter. As they reduce down and start to caramelize add 1tbsp of your favorite balsamic vinegar, 1tbsp worchestershire sauce and 1 cup of your favorite Burgundy. Let that simmer for about 5 minutes, then add 4 cups of beef broth (I use low sodium), 2 cups chicken broth, add 2 cups water and simmer for about 20 mins. I slice a baguette, or (whatever you want to use for a crouton) diagonally and put a light smear of butter then garlic herb seasoning (Safeway has a salt free one) a little parmesan and bake till I get the desired crust. If you start your croutons first it takes about 30 mins from start to table. Shred Swiss or fresh Parmesan and put croutons in a bowl two cups of soup 1.5 oz of cheese and enjoy. If you have a salamander or want a crust on the cheese you can bake it for about 10 mins before serving. Ours had three small croutons and came to 346 per serving including the cheese.
My ingredient list;
3 med yellow onion
1 large red onion
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tbsp worchestershire
1 cup Carlo Rossi Burgundy (It's cheap for cooking and is sweet)
1/2 stick butter (total for soup and croutons, but don't have to use on croutons and could save a few cals)
1 French Baguette lsiced diagonally
1 32oz swansons low sodium fat free beef broth
2 wylers chicken boullion
32 ounces water
1tbsp Safeway all purpose seasoning
2tbsp parmesan
1.5 ounces shredded Swiss for each serving (or as much as you want it's up to your taste and calorie goal)
It's a sweet and acidic French onion soup which is a hit at our house.

Replies