"You should be this weight in 5 weeks" ticker at bottom

Options
2»

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Ignore the ticker :) I think it's just there to be encouraging, but it's not going to be accurate.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't get stressed by it, its just doing a simple maths equation which looks at how much you ate today plus the goal you have set.

If your goal is to lose 1 pound a week and your net calories are exactly the same as your goal calories today - then it will show a 5 pound loss in 5 weeks. If you ate exactly the same number of calories every day it will continue to show the same loss each day.

The reason it varies so much is that it only looks at today's net calories, so if you have under way under or over your goal calories for they, then you will get a bigger or smaller prediction.

I tracked it for a while and found that it was usually reasonably accurate, but then I tend to be a fairly consistent eater, usually coming close to my net calorie goal. Now I'm eating maintenance calories I don't pay much attention to it as I'm not aiming to lose at the moment, I really want to just NOT gain!

Edited to add: good idea to not go too low with calories - at 1500 cals/day you already have a 1000 cal/day defecit so dropping lower probably isn't necessary for healthy and sustainable weight loss. And don't forget that that deficit is there before exercise, so you should be eating a bit more if you are exercising.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...I've wondered the same thing. At first I was excited..mine said I would lose 10-15 pounds and then I was discouraged cuz of course I didnt. I just want to see the number on the scale move already! Good luck in your journey :)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's poo. :laugh:

There are so many other factors involved, it's silly. Just keep doing your thing.

I agree.

Also what EVERYONE misses in this is the first bit "IF EVERYDAY LOOKED LIKE THIS..."
    It's assuming everyday was as good or bad as the day you hit complete. Of course it's going to be off because it's crazy to say I'll eat the same thing everyday for five weeks.

So just ignore it, it's a nice little push to see that number though in my opinion =]

Keep up the great work regardless!!! =]
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's poo. :laugh:

There are so many other factors involved, it's silly. Just keep doing your thing.

I agree.

Also what EVERYONE misses in this is the first bit "IF EVERYDAY LOOKED LIKE THIS..."
    It's assuming everyday was as good or bad as the day you hit complete. Of course it's going to be off because it's crazy to say I'll eat the same thing everyday for five weeks.

So just ignore it, it's a nice little push to see that number though in my opinion =]

Keep up the great work regardless!!! =]

Agree with this, it assumes you're gonna eat that amount every day. It just works out the math on that assumption. Also it doesn't take into account water retention and those little factors that can mask weight loss.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I shoul have been 121 by now, but I did get off at least once a week and go over, but that is what keeps me going and obviously losing weight. I'm at 125 and still losing. I think that if I had been super strict I would have binged horribly so going over every once in a while for me is okay. Keeps me balanced!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love that ticker! It makes my day!! I just got it below the 300's!! I remember when I started it told me 350's!! I look forward to it every day!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I look at it and think 'ya I'll be there soon' but I don't agree with it. I am set to lose 2 pounds per week and its been weeks since I have seen a 2 pound loss - even sticking to things, so I figure that my body will do as it wills and I will just keep at it. I'll get there!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It would be more useful if it said, "You would lose x lbs. in the next 5 weeks." It doesn't say which weight it is using as your baseline -- the one you started with, the one today, or the last one when it recalculated after you lost 10 lbs.