Question: If Housework counts as exercise...

Im fairly new to mfp (2weeks) and i have not been including things like housework or baby carrying/lifting in my daily exercise log. Am i doing this wrong? Would that actually put me too low on calories if i dont enter that info. I really never thought about it until i saw a friend post theirs. I dont quite know how id calculate it if its sporatic stuff throughout yhe course of day. Which is probably why i havnt bothered with it.

Just wondering if there is a right or wrong way or if anyone just has thoughts or experience on this topic. This has been hard enough trying to cut back on my food intake i definately dont want to cheat myself out of any calories if ive earned them :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    It depends on what you set your activity level when you started MFP. If you put it higher to compensate for the work you do around the house, it would already be accounted for. This is probably the easiest way to do it.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    there's no right or wrong...altho I would not count every day activities normal to my life. Now when I mow the lawn or shampoo the carpets, I will log that as moderate exercise.

nursing a baby is pretty darn close tho!
  • KathreneW
    KathreneW Posts: 66 Member
    I count cleaning as exercise on Sundays. Sundays i spend the entire day doing a deep cleaning. But i only log about 2 hours into MFP.
  • When you enter your activity level on your profile information all your daily activity cleaning, carrying a baby is included in that. Your cardiovascular that should be entered is things like going for a walk, running on a treadmill. Anything above and beyond your daily routine you should add to your exercise log.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    I only count workouts. Anything else is a bonus that is not counted.

But, I'm sure you will get many different opinions. Find out what works best for you.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    I do, but I put my settings that I had a "desk job" (low activity level) because I honestly don't really do a whole lot, I go to school and am a stay at home mommy -- so I do count when I clean my house but only when i'm doing hardcore stuff (sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.) because I dont sweep/mop everyday, I do it twice a week and those are the days that I will spend up to 2hrs if not more doing that stuff (because my entire house is hardwood flooring..grrr)

hope this helps!
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    I put in cooking/preperation the other day, because I did a long cooking day with a group of friends --- and we cooked for a full 12hours - including serious perogie dough rolling). So I figured, I actually was achey by the end of the day, so I counted it. (I wouldn't normally do that though).
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Honestly it depends (as the other stated ) on what you have your activity level set at. . If you have it on light exercise because you are on your feet all day and if carrying your baby around is what you do on a consistent basis then I wouldn't count it. .

If you are a sedentary person and it is out of your normal routine. . then I would count it. .

So really what I am saying is that it varies. So if it is just sporatic things that you do hon. . and you are not logging it then you are in my opinion doing the right thing. :smile:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    If you burn them and want to eat them back, do so. If you gain or maintain, stop. You have to experiment :wink:
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    If I've worked up a sweat... I count it. But just everyday cleaning and picking up I don't. But do make sure you have your activity level set right!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    I don't add any calories that I may have burned cleaning, or from a busy day at work. To me, I see that as normal life task, and my activity level should have accounted for it. I do make sure to log any exercise that is beyond 'normal' - swimming, walking the dog, skiing. Hope this helps.

The worst outcome of you not logging the extra calories is that you'll lose more weight. :wink:
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    I count mine, depending on what it is I'm doing. I have my activity level set as sedentary because I'm at a desk 8 hours a day, If I'm doing more than regular everyday cleaning then I count it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It depends. If you cook and clean every day (like when you're a stay at home mom) I would have your daily activity level set at lightly active and I wouldn't count all that household work as exercise. If you do one big round of cleaning on the weekend and aren't up and down with kids/babies all day, I'd set your activity level at sedentary and log the cleaning as exercise on the day(s) that you do it.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    I only count workouts. Anything else is a bonus that is not counted.
    But, I'm sure you will get many different opinions. Find out what works best for you.

I'm in total agreement with aa on all counts. I only count "real" workouts. Everything else will just be a bonus on the scale (or help compensate of any indiscretions). For example, I raked my lawn for over an hour today but didn't log it. When I hit the elliptical at the gym, I always log it.

Bottom line: you have to find what works best for you and then be consistent.
  • KathreneW
    KathreneW Posts: 66 Member
    It depends. If you cook and clean every day (like when you're a stay at home mom) I would have your daily activity level set at lightly active and I wouldn't count all that household work as exercise. If you do one big round of cleaning on the weekend and aren't up and down with kids/babies all day, I'd set your activity level at sedentary and log the cleaning as exercise on the day(s) that you do it.
    Ditto
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    I do only if I am putting in an exercise effort. For example, It I am cleaning while watching TV, I don't, But if I am cleaning with getting a burn in mind, I do.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    I wouldn't count it, MAYBE unless your activity level is set to sedentary.

My activity level accounts for normal activity (very active), only extra stuff gets counted, like a real workout.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    I don't log cleaning; I like to underestimate my caloric burn to make sure I don't overcompensate in one direction or another.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    I don't log it, but I wear a Body Media armband and my calorie burn after a day of cleaning the bathroom and mopping the floors was about 400 calories higher than normal, so it's not wrong to count it.
  • ladybuglvr
    ladybuglvr Posts: 13 Member
    WOW thanks to everyone for all the quick and excellent replies!! this community is awesome :)

Okay so based on most responses I think I will just stick to not logging routine housework becuase I did set my activity level as lightly active...so I guess it will all balance out. Makes more sense now ;)