What should my goal Weight be?? Suggestions needed!!!

Hi all, I need a bit of help. I am 5'5 and have been doing MFP for 60 days now, I have lost 16lbs so far. I now weigh 158lbs. I wear a UK size 12/14 at the moment. I am unsure what my goal weight should be, when I fist joined MFP I was planning on 100lbs but I think that's far too thin! Anyway, any of you suggestion would be great! Thanks guys! X

Replies

• atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Based on your height, I would say around 130. But it's really not about a number. If you get too hung up on that, focus on how you feel in clothes and how you look in the mirror and whenever you feel comfortable that is your goal weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    100lbs is WAY too thin if you are 5ft5! in my opinion anyway.

I am the same height and i maintain at 123 - 126lbs
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Depends on a lot of factors! What's your frame size? What's your body fat %? What's your ultimate goal? Is being thin all what you want or do you also want to be healthy and toned?

I'm 5"5 and I've stopped focusing on lbs since I reached my first goal weight (130 lbs). Now I just want to lose inches and tone the flabby areas. Any pound lost along the way is an added bonus!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    I'm the same height as you with medium build. My goal was 130 which I reached. Maintaining at 128-132. 100lbs is far too thin & will only give you BMI of 16.6 - not healthy.

Sue :smile: x
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    100lbs is WAY too thin if you are 5ft5! in my opinion anyway.

I am the same height and i maintain at 123 - 126lbs

I'm the same and aiming to maintain 126 - 128 ish. I'm 141 in my photo.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    When I started I sort of picked a number without doing any research. Over time my number went away and now my goal is a large shirt and a 36" waist. The shirt comes from the fact I'm a tall kind of broad guy and I don't want to be skinny, just healthy. A 36" waist will put my waist to height ratio in the healthy range. Basically, figure out what you really want and go for it. Once I started strength training my weight loss slowed considerably but I'm still losing inches and looking much better. Good luck!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    100lbs is too thin for me and I am only 5ft 1in!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Don't aim for a weight, aim for a body fat percentage. That way bone density, muscle mass etc will have no effect.

Aim for a healthy body fat percentage which for a female is between 20 and 30%
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    100 pounds at 5'5 would be skeletal!

That's my height and I aimed for the middle of the healthy range, around 130-135, at first. Once I got there, I lost a little more, but anywhere in the 125-130 range is fine by me. I'm wearing the same size clothes now as I wore as a teenager around 110-115#... I just have a lot more muscle now and feel a lot better.

My suggestion... Take photos now in a bikini or underwear, and take new photos every month or so to check your progress. It's hard to see changes in the mirror, but we can be more objective if we look at photos. You might reach your "this is how I wanna look" goal long before you reach any scale goal.
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    I'd say the 125-135lbs range, but it really depends on your body type. Great work so far!
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    I am 5'5 and maintain 128-132. I think at 5'5 anything under 140 is healthy depending on your body type! =-)