Can low calorie be bad?

Options
Hi, just joined a couple weeks ago. Trying to lose weight before a trip to Mexico in late Feb. I absolutely love this site. I have been reading the message boards and really like the community as well as the log for food and excercise, it's keeping me accountable.

Does anyone know if eating a low-calorie diet can be bad for you? I know it's bad to starve yourself. I am far from that. Actually I am one of those people who have to make themselves eat during the day or I will only eat one or two big meals. I have been eating healthy snacks 4-5 times a day, lots of fruits and veggies and low-cal snacks. I just read that it can be unhealthy and could even stop weight loss if you eat too few calories.

After a couple weeks of really watching my calories, I find myself well below my goal about half the time (i'm still over on days I go out) :wink: , according to this site. At first I thought it was great, but I read one article about how it can be unhealthy. As much as I want to lose weight, i don't want to be unhealthy to do it. I always thought... eat when you are hungry, but the lower the calories the better and the more burning of calories the better. I'm curious to see what anyone on this site might know about this. Thanks!

Replies

• IndyManda
    Options
    Hi, just joined a couple weeks ago. Trying to lose weight before a trip to Mexico in late Feb. I absolutely love this site. I have been reading the message boards and really like the community as well as the log for food and excercise, it's keeping me accountable.

Does anyone know if eating a low-calorie diet can be bad for you? I know it's bad to starve yourself. I am far from that. Actually I am one of those people who have to make themselves eat during the day or I will only eat one or two big meals. I have been eating healthy snacks 4-5 times a day, lots of fruits and veggies and low-cal snacks. I just read that it can be unhealthy and could even stop weight loss if you eat too few calories.

After a couple weeks of really watching my calories, I find myself well below my goal about half the time (i'm still over on days I go out) :wink: , according to this site. At first I thought it was great, but I read one article about how it can be unhealthy. As much as I want to lose weight, i don't want to be unhealthy to do it. I always thought... eat when you are hungry, but the lower the calories the better and the more burning of calories the better. I'm curious to see what anyone on this site might know about this. Thanks!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    If the site gave you 1200 to eat you should try to eat as close to that number as possible. If you can't meet it all the time or go over once in awhile don't sweat it. As long as your getting enough nutrients in your body and feeling good (not sluggish or light headed) Good luck and have fun in Mexico. I went there for my honeymoon a few years ago and had a blast:drinker:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Eating less than 800 calories a day is not good. Actually those people are overseen by a Dr. When the body does not get enough nutrients from "food" intake it starts to feed itself from other parts of the body ie: muscle and the body slows down its metabolism to conserve energy. Without sufficient glucose (from food) for your brain's functioning, you will experience mental fatigue, inability to concentrate ,irritability, headaches, confusion. Because your muscles won't get enough fuel to work on, you'll feel faint, unstable and weak. To lose weight you need to keep your energy up by keeping muscles strong and giving it fuel (food!) and eat small ,frequent meals but make healthy choices.

Sorry I am a nursing student and I just others know the importance of eating healthy (dieting the right way), and exercise.

So do your best to consume all your calories....Like age1389 said..:happy:

Good luck
    Mexico is my place to go...just went there 2 years ago and plan to go back yearly after I graduate...Have a super time!!!

dd
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yep, you're supossed to eat the full amount allowed for the day.....although I am finding it hard to do now that I am actually aware of the calories/fat in everything and am logging it.
    Yesterday was a bad day for me, and I tried hard to get all my calories and was still under 1200- made me so mad because I was so full that I couldn't eat another thing, but I don't want to go and slow my metabolisim down.
    Gotta try and do better today! :smile:
    Good luck!!
  • IndyManda
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone! I will definitely try harder to be closer to my goal for the day.