Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does working count?

Hi all, I'm just starting out. I work in a deli, and I am moving all day. Last time I wore a pedometer to work I did about 9,000 steps in a day, and it's not slow. I'm usually sweating and exhausted by the end. Can I count some of the walking I do as a workout here or is that already factored in with my selection of active lifestyle?

Thanks!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I would consider that an active lifestyle, not extra exercise.
  • Hi and welcome to MFP! When you set up your "goals", it should ask you how active you are in a day without exercise. Whether you work at a desk, are a nurse, salesperson, etc. This will determine your caloric intake. Hope this made sense!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    No, not as exercise but it should be included in your activity level. So instead of setting yourself as sedentary, change your activity to light active, or active to account for the walking at work. When you look at activity there are descriptions of the type of work that would qualify under each.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    I wouldn't log anything except actual exercise. MFP gives you calories in your goal number to account for work related calorie burn. IF you log it and think you can eat more, you'll be going over your goal every day.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    It's already factored in.

A good guideline is to count anything you are doing specifically for exercise, not things you would have done anyways.
  • Thanks all. Just trying to get the hang of things.