I need a straight answer from people wit experience!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow that does seem really high! I really have no advice. If it were me, I would be questioning it too. I hope you find some resolution, I admire the changes you are trying to make!
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2290 I usually do 2 60 minute strength cardio workouts and 3 just cardio workouts a week! I am still learning!

We all are. :) When I started out I was 275 and my nutritionist recommended I eat 1700-1900 calories/day and limit my carbs to 19 servings (one carb serving equals 15-20 carb mg). That was assuming I would exercise most days to create a little larger deficit. Now I'm down to 222 so I eat closer to 1500 calories/day since my BMR has gone down. Good Luck to you, stick with it and remember it's a lifestyle change that will have the best and longest lasting results. Don't get sucked into the quick fix mentality. I've been at this for 2 years and I have about 45-50 more pounds to lose. :)
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi, I currently weigh 247.4 & have 73lbs to lose. My daily calorie intake is 1830 so if I play by the rules I should lose 1lb per week. Sometimes I think 1830 is alot of calories & I have on occasion gone for a lower amount (1200) to lose the weight quicker but all that seems to do was make me tired as I wasn't eating enough & crave the 'naughty' foods which are always my downfall.

Try what MFP suggests & see how you feel - maybe you could chose not to eat back exercise cals
    If you eat back your cals make sure you know what your burning - I use a HRM so I know exactly what I burn - MFP usually overstates the cals.

For me I believe that if I follow MFP it will work & when it doesn't work its down to me & the bad choices I make :blushing:

Good Luck with it all
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, you might want to consider getting a Bodybugg or BodyMedia Fit armband (the Bodybugg is the one the Biggest Loser contestants use). You basically wear them 23/7, and it tracks how many calories you burn throughout the whole day, not just when you exercise. If you only had 25 pounds to lose, it wouldn't be worth it. I have 75 to lose (almost 1/3 of the way there), and I'm finding it to be very helpful information. You do have to pay a small monthly fee to sync your info with their website, but for me, it's money well spent. I found I'm burning about 2100 calories on non-exercise days, and about 2500 on exercise days. It helps to know how much I'm burning so I know how much to eat. Some days at work are more active, too, and when I go home in the evening and sync it, I can see how much more I should eat at dinner and my nighttime snack. I'm not dropping weight in any speedy fashion, but it's coming off slowly but surely, which is the best way to do it.

You can check ebay and craigslist to see if you find one of these cheaper than paying full price. My plan is to use mine until I hit goal weight, then through about 6 months of maintenance so that I have an idea of my maintenance calorie level. I'll probably sell it on ebay or craigslist after I'm done with it. So I'll use it probably about a year and a half.

If you can't afford one of these, at least invest in a good heart rate monitor. That will help, too, in determining what you're burning when you exercise. Often, MFP's numbers aren't accurate (and how could they be, really...it's an estimate based on averages, not on you personally and how hard you work).

Good luck, and hang in there. You can do this!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    The HRM suggestion is really important, my treadmill seemed really low but MFP seemed high for calories burned so I got an HRM and now use those calories, had to put my treadmill in as a custom exercise and now I just make sure I burn at least that many calories before I stop :flowerforyou:. Although calories burned are usually more than that but I know that MFP includes some of my workout calories in my calories needed.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories. But that is my personal choice and my nutrionist agrees. It works for me, I lose 1-2 pounds a week. I know a lot of people do eat theirs but some of them are into heavy workout sessions, which is something I cannot do. I've had 2 knee replacements (one this year) so I limit my exercise to acquatics classes at the YMCA two times a week. After this week, I intend to add another exercise day as a mini-goal.

In regards to the Biggest Loser, I've always watched and loved the show. However it is not a reality show. I believe when you lose weight at the rate they lose it, you are setting yourself up for disaster later on.

When people ask me what "kind" of diet I'm on, I say "I'm on the original diet plan". Ohhh, what is that, some new fad diet they say. Nope, it's the diet that has worked since the beginning of dieting. It consists of LIFE CHANGES, reduction of calories which I monitor every single bite and some type of physical exercise above and beyond your normal daily exercise of cleaning house, doing laundry etc. In the long run and it will be a long journey for me to obtain my goal weight as I started out at 290 pounds, I'll be ready to embrace the life changes and not revert back to my old ways. Hopefully the life changes by the time I reach my goal will be second nature for me and I wont even think about it when I go into maintenance mode.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good to me, we all have some type of processed food in our diaires cause we don't always have time to prepare meals from scratch. If I were you I would adjust your diary to show your sodium intake. Sodium can be a HUGE problem in losing weight as it causes you to retain water. I would aim for 2000 mg or less per day. As far as cal intake, it largely depends on the type of workout you are doing. If you are doing intense calisthenic workouts where you are doing a combination of cardio and strength training, then yes up your cal intake. If you are doing moderate exercise like aerobics or treadmill/elliptical training then you can lower your cals. 1790 is good for your weight, you should still be losing with no problem. I would cut down on sodium and up the water and see what happens............
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    You can but you'll lose more, quicker if you eat 1800 or so calories. That's a good healthy amount. I'm 165 and I'm supposed to eat 1800 a day.

And the OP is also close to twice your weight. I'll never understand why people advocate eating less than they *could* eat while still losing weight.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes to the OP's question. Eat those calories. Your body needs the fuel. As you continue to lose, that calorie allowance will go down but MFP is pretty good about calculating what you need.
  • ejtell
    Options
    check out weight watchers guidelines as they take in to account age, weight, height, gender, etc.