How much Protein and Carbs for insulin resistance

Options
Help!!! I am Strict vegetarian, no meat , not even eggs... I have been diagnosed with PCOS with severe insulin resistance , Just want expert advice as to how much protein and carbs are required per day, MFP sets my goal to 50% carbs which i know is not suitable for PCOS, Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I keep my net carbs under 20 grams a day.
    I shoot for 70-85 grams of protein a day.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Healty intake of 50 g/day of carbs from veggies is perfectly fine. Most of you energy should be coming from fats like nuts, avacados, coconuts, raw dairy butter and cheeses, sprouted seeds, fish, eggs. If you are insulin resistant you can not digest (absorb) and use glucose, so any carbs are actually bad for you right now.

reset your body by doing the leptin reset. You need to become a fat burner right now, since your body can not function as a sugar burning. It's easy. Go to marksdailyapple.com for more info. on how to become paleo and I think there is a vegan group on the forum there who can help you out!

best wishes.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Bump. I need more info on this as well :)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    low gi or gl diets are recommended for suffers of pcos
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would start it low (maybe around 50 grams) and then bump it up to see where your body starts complaining and your weight loss stalls. Your brain needs carbs, so you don't want to keep it much lower than your body can handle.

Also, from what I understand of insulin resistance, it will improve with weight loss, so you may be able to tolerate more carbs as your weight goes down.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Help!!! I am Strict vegetarian, no meat , not even eggs... I have been diagnosed with PCOS with severe insulin resistance , Just want expert advice as to how much protein and carbs are required per day, MFP sets my goal to 50% carbs which i know is not suitable for PCOS, Any advice is appreciated.

You are going to have to up your fat intake way up for one thing.

Coconut oil is extremely good for you.............

Check out my blog: primal-lioness.blogspot.com

hemp protein is really good for you also. Greek Yogurt (Fage is a great brand) for both fat and protein mix with some berries.

Eat a LOT of green leafy vegetables and limit fruit intake as much as possible. Spinach is also a good protein source.

I have my goals set to 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I would start it low (maybe around 50 grams) and then bump it up to see where your body starts complaining and your weight loss stalls. Your brain needs carbs, so you don't want to keep it much lower than your body can handle.

Also, from what I understand of insulin resistance, it will improve with weight loss, so you may be able to tolerate more carbs as your weight goes down.

We humans do NOT need carbs. They are not necessary for any body function and since the brain is mostly fat and water, fatty acids are far more necessary than carbs.
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies.

@busywaterbending- Sorry, what's Leptin reset?
  • Grokette
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies.

@busywaterbending- Sorry, what's Leptin reset?

Check out Dr Jack Kruse's website. He is a neurosurgeon and a magnificent man!!

http://jackkruse.com/how-does-the-leptin-rx-work/
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try one gram of protien per pound of lean mass.

Keep your carbs below 80 a day and then only from complex carb sources.

You may feel sluggish for a coupleof days while you adjust. But after that you will feel great.

Also lift weights!! Resistance training is great for insulin resistance.

There is a diabetic/prediabetic group now join it and you will get a lot of information
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/

also, make sure that your doctor is w/ you 100% on this. Some doctors freak out when you say that you are going low carb. Remember, doctors do not have to take even one nutrition or organic chem course to get a medical license. They don't know the forst thing about the differnce bwtn glycogenesis and ketogenesis. You are not able to perform glycogenesis, therefore you have to survive in ketogenesis mode. It's perfectly safe!

Also, the leptin reset will give you the ability to regain insulin sensitivity. It's how to heal yourself from type 2 diabetes!!! and many thyroid disorders.

:)
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options

We humans do NOT need carbs. They are not necessary for any body function and since the brain is mostly fat and water, fatty acids are far more necessary than carbs.

Point taken! :flowerforyou: I think what you're saying is that rather than carbs, our bodies need glucose, which can be converted from fat by the liver.

However, I still think I'll stick to my "moderately" low carb diet, for the simple fact that it's more sustainable in our culture and I'm still steadily losing weight. But, feel free to do whatever works for you! :smile:
  • Vegaschappy
    Options
    i found the best thing to do for myself (also PCOS and Insulin resistant) is see a nutritionalist or a dietician to help you put in balance and see what a typical day would look like. if you get a referal from your dr. it will be covered by OHIP. if you are canadian. just from the detox style diet my nutritionalist put me on made me lose 8lbs the first 2 weeks. i was sooooo suprised because I had been working with a personal trainer prior for 6 months and lost 3lbs and was VERY frustrated!. i would highly recomend the outside help.
    good luck in the future!! there are other's in the same boat as you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I think you should ask your doc and/or dietitian. I'm diabetic, diet-controlled, and I keep my carbs to around 50 per meal and 15 per snack each day, as per my doctor's advice. Works for me, A1c is down to 5.4. I keep my fiber up and my protein is solidly average. I would find a professional who specializes in guiding folks with PCOS. I think you'll get your best advice there.

Good luck!
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    bump bump