Healthy Stuffing Recipe???

Options
I know that "healthy" and "stuffing" normally are not in the same sentence together, but I am searching for a really good, healthy stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving this year.

Stove Top box stuffing is loaded with sodium! If anyone has a recipe that they would like to share, please post it.

Thanks to all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Maria

Replies

• Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This was on SparkPeople with good reviews:

Healthy Stuffing
    Submitted by: MSSBETTYBOOP6

I make this at thanksgiving time and its simply delicious and healthier and a lot less soduim than stove top or other boxed stuffing with seasonings

50 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Side Items | Thanksgiving | Thanksgiving Side Items | Side Dish | Side Items Side Dish |

Ingredients
    1 tblsp light butter
    14 oz stuffing bread (such as pepperidge farm
    or mrs cubbison)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced musrhoom
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    2- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
    poultry seasoning to taste ( I usually use 1-2 tsp)
    pepper to taste around 1 tsp

Directions
    preheat oven to 350 degrees

heat a large saute pan once heated add butter and spray with cooking spray add carrots and saute add celery, onion, garlic and mushroom add additional cooking spray if needed continue cooking until veggies are tender remove from heat transfer to bowl and allow to cool slightly

in a large bowl add bread stuffing and veggies toss together season with pepper and poultry seasoning add chicken broth mixing until moist but not soaking taste and adjust seasoning

spray casserole dish with cooking spray add stuffing mix and cover with foil bake 20-25 minutes uncover and cook additional 10 minutes or until slightly crispy on top

serves around 1/2 cup each serving

Number of Servings: 16

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MSSBETTYBOOP6.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 16
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 106.1
    Total Fat: 1.4 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 406.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 20.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
    Protein: 2.8 g
  • cvin5
    cvin5 Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't know if this would qualify as healthy, but its homemade, easy and you don't add a lot of salt. Just tear up 4 loafs of bread. I like to do at least 50% wheat. Just found a link for the closest thing to it. Can double or triple as you see fit and maybe add cranberries or apple..... We always let the bread sit at least overnight.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-and-celery-stuffing/

This is the kind of stuffing I have had my whole life and I love it, esp. the stuff that comes out of the bird. Its very moist. We always have more than what stuffs the bird so we have to bake it in a cassarole dish.
    Enjoy!
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This was on SparkPeople with good reviews:

Healthy Stuffing
    Submitted by: MSSBETTYBOOP6

I make this at thanksgiving time and its simply delicious and healthier and a lot less soduim than stove top or other boxed stuffing with seasonings

50 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Side Items | Thanksgiving | Thanksgiving Side Items | Side Dish | Side Items Side Dish |

Ingredients
    1 tblsp light butter
    14 oz stuffing bread (such as pepperidge farm
    or mrs cubbison)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced musrhoom
    2-3 cloves of garlic
    2- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
    poultry seasoning to taste ( I usually use 1-2 tsp)
    pepper to taste around 1 tsp

Directions
    preheat oven to 350 degrees

heat a large saute pan once heated add butter and spray with cooking spray add carrots and saute add celery, onion, garlic and mushroom add additional cooking spray if needed continue cooking until veggies are tender remove from heat transfer to bowl and allow to cool slightly

in a large bowl add bread stuffing and veggies toss together season with pepper and poultry seasoning add chicken broth mixing until moist but not soaking taste and adjust seasoning

spray casserole dish with cooking spray add stuffing mix and cover with foil bake 20-25 minutes uncover and cook additional 10 minutes or until slightly crispy on top

serves around 1/2 cup each serving

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MSSBETTYBOOP6.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 16
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 106.1
    Total Fat: 1.4 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 406.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 20.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
    Protein: 2.8 g

Thank you for posting this, it sounds yummy! You can cut the sodium by buying low sodium chicken broth. I buy from the Fresh Market they sell Pacific Natural brand and it is 15 calories and 80mg of sodium per 1 cup :)