Am I flushing the salt out of my system?

Options
In the last few weeks I've reached my 8-10 glasses of water goal a day.

What I'm finding now is that food tastes like it needs salt. I never usually add salt to anything.

Would the amount of water I'm drinking mean I crave salt?

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    In the last few weeks I've reached my 8-10 glasses of water goal a day.

What I'm finding now is that food tastes like it needs salt. I never usually add salt to anything.

Would the amount of water I'm drinking mean I crave salt?

I don't find that food needs salt. There are only 2-3 items that I put salt on, and it's a rare thing. And I drink well over 12 cups of water a day.

Just skip the salt.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I drink up to 15 glasses of water a day and don't have this issue.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You need salt...and iodine that is in the salt. Unless you've been instructed by your doctor (and even then, I'd take that "with a grain of salt hahaha") to limit salt, then enjoy it when you feel you need it.
  • kimluvsel
    Options
    Yes and no, you are flushing sodium out of your body by drinking water, but things tasting bland is not a sign of sodium deficiency. Moreover, sodium deficiency in any American diet is almost impossible. Could it be that you are simply eating more raw and/or less processed options that are just lower in sodium naturally? If you feel like you need the salty flavor, try adding Morton's Light Salt, which is mainly potassium, but still tastes salty. Most importantly, stick with the water!!!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I've found that certain things (like the string cheese that I eat every morning for breakfast) tastes more salty than it did before. The good news is that it causes me to drink about 3-4 glasses of water with my breakfast. I haven't had this problem, but I'm interested to see if anyone has an actual answer for you. Nice job with the water intake!
  • No. You're either not getting enough salt in your diet (since your body needs sodium) or your body is still adjusting to consuming less salt.
  • Yes and no, you are flushing sodium out of your body by drinking water, but things tasting bland is not a sign of sodium deficiency. Moreover, sodium deficiency in any American diet is almost impossible. Could it be that you are simply eating more raw and/or less processed options that are just lower in sodium naturally? If you feel like you need the salty flavor, try adding Morton's Light Salt, which is mainly potassium, but still tastes salty. Most importantly, stick with the water!!!

I wouldn't go with Morton's. Use sea salt - its all natural and goes through your system much more quickly and easily.
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    Thanks all - I use sea salt and very sparingly. It's just another little adjustment I guess.

@kimluvsel The only processed food I eat regularly is bread & chocolate but now that you mention it I have been eating a lot more fruit and cutting down on my chocoalte so that could be it.
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day but haven't noticed a difference in food tastes. I crave salt but that's due to pregnancy I'm pretty sure lol.