has anyone tried cauliflower mock mashed potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• ltsoccermom
    Options
    I tried this recipe this weekend and it was very good. My new calculator for nutrition did not come up with that much in fat and I used cream instead of half and half. I also did not use any butter type products. I feel like even with the cream to make it taste good I sacrificed a few calories to each something really good that I would not normally have eaten.

Stacy
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The Body For Life version is very good as well. I personally LOVE this recipie and am glad that someone has figured a way to make substitue mashed potatoes. :)
    I have also tried this recipie by adding one (1) red potato to the mix. I don't feel as bad because it's just one potato added to a serving for 4 and it really makes them taste much better. Just a suggestion.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you have a spouse or children that don't like veggies, this is a good one. You can slowly introduce it with potatoes and a little cauliflower and then the next time half and half and so on. Depending on how much potatoes you do eat. Also, make sure you use some spices (like garlic) to mask some of the flavor of cauliflower in the potatoes. Soon enough, you can put it out and no one will know the difference.

I know potatoes are not a low cal thing but sometimes.....mmmmmmmmmmm :love:
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Here's the recipe that I use and I absolutely love them

Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients
    1 medium head of cauliflower (I used a 16 oz. frozen bag)
    1 tablespoon fat free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup fat free grated Parmesan (I used the sprinkle kind like you put over spaghetti sauce)
    1 clove minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon fat free chicken broth
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
    2 tablespoons fat free butter or margarine spread ( I used the brand Smart Squeeze)

Instructions
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat
    Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well, do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower until very dry between several layers of paper towels.
    In a food processor (or like me in a bowl with a regular electric mixer) puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, chicken broth, and pepper until almost smooth (or as smooth as you like). Garnish with chives. Yummy!!!

Calculated to be 4 servings the following is the nutrition info. per serving

Calories 62.1 - Total Fat 1gram - Sat. Fat 0.1gram - Trans Fat 0 - Cholesterol 2.5 mg - Sodium 178.2 mg - Potassium 322.7 mg - Total Carbs 10.9 grams - Fiber 6.2 grams - Sugar 2.7 grams- Protein 4.2 grams - Vitamin A 10.9% - Vitamin C 120% (no kidding!) - Iron 5.4% - Calcium 5.9%
    Edited by bla115 on Tue 01/08/08 03:46 PM
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It sounded so good. I had to go get some cauliflower and I am making it tonight. I'll let you know what Brian (AKA Mr. Mash Potatoes) thinks of them later.:happy:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well I thought they were awesome. I shouldn't have told Brian that the 'mashed potatoes' weren't potatoes. I wonder if he really would have known. He says he doesn't like it. Oh well. Next time i am going to try it with one regular potato. in the meantime I have some tasty leftovers. :wink:

I wonder if the leftovers would work like potato pancakes? Might have to add an egg to hold it together. Anyone tried this?
  • rhondababy
    Options
    My recipe very similar to bla15:

1 small head cauliflower, chopped up
    1-1/4 cup water
    1 chicken boullion cube
    2 Tbs. low fat cream cheese
    pepper

put water in pot, bring to boil with boullion cube, until dissolved
    add cauliflower
    simmer, covered until nice and soft
    drain any excess broth
    add cream cheese and pepper (to taste)
    MASH!

Yummm!
  • kate073153
    Options
    Sounds yummy - I'm off to the supermarket
  • stapesgirl
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I have had this dish and I think it is DELICIOUS. I've got the recipe from SouthBeach for you:

4 cups cauliflower florets
    2 tablespoons trans-free butter spray
    1 ounce fat-free half & half
    Pinc of salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper

Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan with 1.2 cup water. Place the cauliflower in the steamer and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 4 minutes, or until crips-tender. Puree in a food processor, adding the butter spray and the half & half. Season with Salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings
    60 calorise
    14.5 g fat
    0.5 g sat fat
    3 g protein
    11 g carb
    3 dietary fiber
    5 mg cholesterol
    105 mg sodium

Happy eating! :drinker:

Just wondering why there is so much fat in the nutritional breakdown? Is it the trans-free butter spray? What is that by the way? I use I Can't Belive It's Not Butter Spray and it has no fat or calories...and by the way it's pretty darn good.

sorry y'all!! that was a typo.. it should only be 1.5 grams of fat; not 14.5!! :blushing:
    99999999 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just whip the cauliflower in the processor with dill weed salt pepper and a bit of skim milk while raw. then put it in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 hour and it gets nice and crispy on top and dries out some of the moisture. My family loves it. I am going to try mixing it with whipped broccoli next time. Broccoli tastes nice and nutty when baked.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe. I will give it another try! I have arthritus and potatoe is a bad word for it. Makes my back kink up like the tin man needing oil! hahahah Dag gone....Im not old enough for that!
    :bigsmile:

I have arthritis and didn't know that potato's were bad for it. Though I hardly eat a potato anymore it is nice to know this.:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options

Ingredients
    1/4 cup fat free grated Parmesan (I used the sprinkle kind like you put over spaghetti sauce)
    1 clove minced garlic
    2 tablespoons fat free butter or margarine spread ( I used the brand Smart Squeeze)

Instructions
    Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well, do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower until very dry between several layers of paper towels.
    In a food processor (or like me in a bowl with a regular electric mixer) puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, chicken broth, and pepper until almost smooth (or as smooth as you like). Garnish with chives. Yummy!!!

Calories 62.1 - Total Fat 1gram - Sat. Fat 0.1gram - Trans Fat 0 - Cholesterol 2.5 mg - Sodium 178.2 mg - Potassium 322.7 mg - Total Carbs 10.9 grams - Fiber 6.2 grams - Sugar 2.7 grams- Protein 4.2 grams - Vitamin A 10.9% - Vitamin C 120% (no kidding!) - Iron 5.4% - Calcium 5.9%

There are some good recipes on these posts, but I kinda like this one for a starter, I think the cream cheese , and parmesan , and garlic, would make a big difference. Going to town tomorrow and will fix this for supper. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options

Ingredients
    1 clove minced garlic

Instructions

There are some good recipes on these posts, but I kinda like this one for a starter, I think the cream cheese , and parmesan , and garlic, would make a big difference. Going to town tomorrow and will fix this for supper. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks all sound great

:flowerforyou: