Surviving Thanksgiving

Options
Happy Monday all! My last day of work before vacation, super excited =) Question for you guys: I will be enjoying Thanksgiving with family and coming from a Puertorican family you can imagine the foods they'll have. I plan on portion control, but any suggestions how not to sabotage any work I've already done? I like my progress so far, and I'm close to meeting my first mini goal, which was 20lbs down by Christmas & I'm at 18.4lbs loss right now. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you all! Have a wonderful day and an awesome holiday week/weekend =)

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    it's one day, don't worry about it.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just be careful! If you limit yourself too much you might binge later If you overeat you will regret it!
    Pick wisely and Portion Control should work good for you!!
    Good Luck!
  • RuninGirlCas
    RuninGirlCas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you got it right. Portion control! Also remember just cause its on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it. Try not to beat yourself up if you go over your plan, it is just one day.
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    Hi,
    I recently wrote about Ten Tips to Surviving Thanksgiving while dietig if you want to check it out!

http://fitnessrealitynow.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
    Teresa
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's one day... just eat healthier the remainder of the week. If you're that concerned... portion control is your friend.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the time with family and friends and just get back on the right track by monday at the latest!
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    Options
    I think portion control is the way to go--but it is a holiday and if it is stuff you dont normally get to have everyday I say try anything you want to try, so you dont feel like you a denying yourself and loathing the diet.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    GOOD LUCK
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    All I can say is try to share everything! The food is so rich that the only way I survive it is to share with my kids or my husband. Take minimal when you can just for a taste and drink lots of water. Good luck! I know it's going to be really difficult.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do you think you're capable of allowing yourself 1 day to just eat what you want? What I mean is, can you wake up the next day and proceed per your normal plan, and just act like it didn't happen?

If you can, then I'd recommend not logging thanksgiving and enjoying yourself. It's a holiday, celebrate, and treat yourself. Wake up the next day with no guilt and get back on your plan.

It will probably do you some good.
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say it is ONE day. Just be sure to stick to a healthy eating plan the rest of the week and let your self enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family. Maybe you can convince everyone to play some touch football and you can get a workout in too!

Have a great day and a healthy week :)
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I'm in Canada so I dealt with Thanksgiving last month. What I did was stay away from the creamy dips that were on the table throughout the afternoon and ate lots of veggies. Then when supper was served, I kept my portions under control. I did go over my calorie goal, but I certainly did not eat anywhere as much as I would have in the past. You're doing great. One day is not going to undo all your hard work. What matters most is getting back on track afterwards. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

It takes just one day to mess you all up

From a calorie standpoint, I don't agree. If intentionally taking a day off is something that you or anyone cannot do without falling off the wagon permanently, then of course you should watch it.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    hey gurlie! happy holidays! i plan on getting a great workout before and after Thanksgiving. if you have been on point this whole time, one day wont hurt you, enjoy your food!!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    In order to gain back the 18.4 lbs you have lost you would have to consume 64,400 calories ON TOP of your maintenance calories. That's a lot of turkey!!! Enjoy your holiday AND your holiday meal. Exercise the extra Thanksgiving calories off with some HARD CORE Black Friday shopping!
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a vigorous morning workout before dinner, and felt a lot better about eating whatever I wanted. Plan on doing that again this year...
  • alabrake
    Options
    have a nice long work out in the morning to rev up your metabolism. and eating thanksgiving dinner!!! Have fun and eat, but dont over eat (which i know is easier said than done)... Maybe plan on taking a walk around the block after dinner, I am sure other family members would love to join you.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
    Happy Holidays!!

-Ali
  • SandraM329
    SandraM329 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy the day but also bring a dish or two that you know are on the healthy side. We will have all the normal items at our table this year but I am preparing some sides that are healthier. Look at Eating Well Magazine. They have some great recipes that can help you.

I think it's important to treat yourself but within limits.
  • SandraM329
    SandraM329 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have a 1.5 hour boot camp class that morning. I hope I have enough energy left to eat! :-)
  • yadicarter
    Options
    Do you think you're capable of allowing yourself 1 day to just eat what you want? What I mean is, can you wake up the next day and proceed per your normal plan, and just act like it didn't happen?

If you can, then I'd recommend not logging thanksgiving and enjoying yourself. It's a holiday, celebrate, and treat yourself. Wake up the next day with no guilt and get back on your plan.

It will probably do you some good.

I would have said in the past, no I'm not capable of allowing myself the 1 day...but since starting MFP and exercising and enjoying learning how to be healthy, I know I can wake up the next day and get back on =)