Newbie! Weight fluctuation

Options
Hello! My name is Susan and I'm relatively new to MFP. I say "relatively" because I joined about a year ago when my friend downloaded the app on my phone. I checked in on and off over the past few months but recently, I've been checking in every day.

I don't know if it's customary to post stats (I didn't see anything against it in the guidelines, I've just been on other websites where people don't like to discuss specific weights). But anyway, I'm hovering around 197-202lbs right now and have a goal of around 150-165lbs. I'm sure I'm not a special case so I ask this: do any of you have the issue of your weight fluctuating within 5lbs or so? I'm guessing that some of it is water weight, especially when I'm about to get my period (TMI, sorry). It's very frustrating, especially when tracking my weight as I adjust my diet and exercise.

I lost around 40lbs a couple of years ago by dieting alone. I plateaued after I lost the weight, but that was okay since I met my goal. I started overeating and drinking more after I graduated college and gained almost all of it back. I know a lot of people gain the weight back when they don't implement realistic lifestyle changes, so I'm not too down about what happened. Now I'm eating better and have added exercise to my regimen (which means I can have that bowl of ice cream every so often instead of denying myself any sugar at all like I used to!).

Anyway, that's my story. I've been appreciating MFP a lot lately and have actually been looking forward to exercising! Who knew?

TL;DR: my main question is how to manage that 5lb fluctuation and not get down about it. Thanks!

Replies

• missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Also, feel free to add me. I'd like to utilize the tools MFP has to offer and there seems to be a great deal of people who are understanding and supportive. =)