Should I stop weight training?

Options
Currently I'm doing 5x5 program. I add 5lbs when I can. In 4 months I've added about 40lbs on average to the compounds, though I haven't gotten bigger, just more dense.
I'm not lifting super heavy, just enough that I'm worn out on my last 5x5.

My exercises are centered around Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Barbell row.
I'm also doing Muay Thai, which includes conditioning such as:
Squats, jumps, burpees, lunges, and lots and lots of various core exercises.
I'm usually so sore from weight lifting that I'm really terrible even doing pushups in my Muay Thai class.

I lift 3x a week, and I attend MT the other 3 days (And rest Sunday.)

I'm constantly fatigued and sore and I feel like something has to give. My legs are wrecked 24/7. I'm coming from a history of being really out of shape and starting all of this... about 4 months ago (added MT 3 months ago.) A couple weeks ago I got tired of being sore and took a week off MT. Last week, I didn't do anything at all. So this is the first time I haven't been sore in months. Today I'm going to start the cycle all over again.

Should I keep pushing through it, or should I stop weight lifting until the bodyweight exercises become 'nothing' in my MT classes?

Should I reduce my lifting to a single day where I do all of the compound exercises, but lighter? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat all processed foods, fast food and take out.

I think if you worked at eating a healthier balanced diet you wouldn't be so fatigued.

While a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss, the body still needs a balanced diet to function properly.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No don't stop, maybe just go to 2 days/week until you get use to doing both, then up it back to the 3 days.
  • You seem to eat all processed foods, fast food and take out.

I think if you worked at eating a healthier balanced diet you wouldn't be so fatigued.

While a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss, the body still needs a balanced diet to function properly.

Couldn't have said it better. Diet is EVERYTHING.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I used to be pretty good about my diet, but in the last 3-4 weeks I've been living off of convenience food. It definitely makes a HUGE difference in overall wellness and energy levels, you're right. Fortunately now my work-related training classes are done and I can get back to spending more time working on my meals - and eating fresh food. Except my lean cuisines, can't live without those at lunch ;)

((Even when I was eating "clean" my muscles were still trashed all week long. But I did have a lot more energy!))
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options

I second this!! I am very out of shape now but i have weight trained fairly extensively in the past (and plan to start back up). When you do resistance training, you must give your body what it needs to build those muscles and handle the "byproducts" of that kind of work. Good quality protein is a must - eggs (or egg whites), lean meat, low fat dairy, a good protein drink. If you do nothing else, it would be fairly simple to replace whatever you are eating right before or right after your workout with a quality protein drink. Green veggies will also help - if you are allergic to those, look for ways to add them. Juiceplus+ has capsules that will add that type of nutrition to your diet easily (and there are similar products). Another must is plenty of water. More than the 8 cups recommended especially on workout days. You really have to fuel the body right if you want to get ripped, not just smaller.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What everyone said already... and stop skipping breakfast!
  • wellbert
    Options
    Back to Oatmeal laced with protein powder in the mornings, then :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you have to eat clean and or eat breakfast. Just make sure you get enough protein and fat. 1 gram of protein for every pound lean body mass. 0.3 grams of fat for every pound of total body mass.

However, are you eating enough, eating your exercise calories? Second, are you taking rest days? You should take off at least one day a week and you should take off a full week every 8 or so weeks.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. I trained in muay thai for several years, and it's a great way to build endurance and stamina. Not great for building/maintaining muscle. Your body is inefficient at doing both things at the same time.

If your goal is to lose weight, doing both muay thai and weight training will be good for you, as long as you're eating slightly below maintenance. Training burns a ton of calories, so make sure to log it and eat most of these calories back. Make sure to eat a few hours before training.

If you're goal is to put on muscle, cut the muay thai training down, lift heavy and eat above maintenance.

If you're goal is to train to compete, decide which weight class you want to fight in, and pick an option from above. Focus more on your endurance than anything else. The person who has the most energy in the later rounds usually wins. Train your shins on the heavy bag.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I want to be lean and strong, not really looking to get big. Right now I'm focusing on losing weight.

I have been eating back my exercise calories.

1 gram per lb huh? I've been trying 1g per KG.

That's only 2lbs of chicken per day, right? Yikes! Still, how hard could it be to grill up some chicken breasts on Sunday and eat them as snacks during the week?

That puts me at 192g of protein per day.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

I used to be pretty good about my diet, but in the last 3-4 weeks I've been living off of convenience food. It definitely makes a HUGE difference in overall wellness and energy levels, you're right. Fortunately now my work-related training classes are done and I can get back to spending more time working on my meals - and eating fresh food. Except my lean cuisines, can't live without those at lunch ;)

((Even when I was eating "clean" my muscles were still trashed all week long. But I did have a lot more energy!))

Then yes perhaps cutting back strength training to 2 times a week would be best. You're probably over-exerting your body.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I appreciate the input so far, thank you.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough! I just finished reading about this amazing girl and I think you have some of the same goals.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass. So if you are 200lbs and your body fat percentage is 25%, your lean body mass is 150lbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

why is that, will it magically cure DOMs or increase weight loss?
  • wellbert
    Options
    It's 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass. So if you are 200lbs and your body fat percentage is 25%, your lean body mass is 150lbs.

Yeppers, my LBM is about 200lbs, estimating my bodyfat at 20%. (I'm tall.)

i set up a meal plan for tomorrow. It's got some sugary stuff (Bolthouse protein smoothies) but I'll drop those entirely for real protein powder once I'm through this container. I got up to about 157g of protein.

It still leaves me with 360 calories left to eat, but I don't know where I could possibly stuff those since I can't eat anymore than I do at work. I could just skip my lunch time walk and be at the correct calories....

Though I could eat beef jerkey. It's lean, has lots of protein, but holy sodium!

I think for now,

* Fix Diet to 90% good foods
    * Do MT M/W/F
    * Do Weights TH-SAT, alternating deadlifts for squats since they wreck me the most
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

why is that, will it magically cure DOMs or increase weight loss?

Idd. Breakfast won't help with sore muscles!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You need to deload, but you don't need to quit lifting.

Take a week off, or do a reduced load for a week.

Sounds like your recovery isn't the best.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are on a bulk then eat and lift heavy.
    5x5 is a great program!
    2 day split may be better for rest and recovery.
    Are you on an eating sched like LeanGains?
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think you should maybe take a rest day or two, then get back to it. No need to cut out half of your workouts. Also try some BCAA's / Xtend powder to help repair your muscles. I didn't check your diary, so maybe you do this, but make sure you eat 1g protein for every pound of lean body mass daily.