Food scales: things to think about when buying

Options
mfp_1
mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
Some people asked me for my opinions on food scales. Here's what I prefer:

* Digital

* Flat surface. I don't see the point of buying one with a bowl. I have plenty of bowls already and I don't want to put everything in the bowls that scale manufacturers supply.

* Large digits

* Must have capability to do grams. Even if you've never used grams before, you'd be surprised at how useful the function is once you have it.

* Precision down to 1 g

* Maximum weight at least 3 kg. Many do up to 5 kg

* A 'tare' function so you can set it to zero with an empty bowl sitting on it. I think they all do this anyway.

* Check that you're happy with the battery type it provides. Some have AA or AAA batteries. Some have button batteries. These are all fine but you need to be able to replace them at short notice from a local shop. Your personal devil will make them run out just when you need them most.

I won't recommend any because there are lots of good value ones but these look fine to me:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scales/dp/B004HTCYDG/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1321901785&sr=8-20

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Mine has a toggle switch from oz to grams. Most useful when using the MFP database where both systems of measurement are used!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight. Best investement I ever made. A real eye opener.:drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Great list of features. I'll add one more:

A display that sticks out far enough from underneath the measuring surface so that you can read it when using a large bowl. I've seen some scales that even have a pull-out display area.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You wrote: "display that sticks out ". Yes, worth adding to the list as something to think about!

My scales are small and the display is sometimes obscured by large bowls. I hadn't really thought about it till you mentioned it. It's definitely another factor to consider.