Meal replacement

Does anyone use meal replacement shakes/bars? (Low carbs) If yes, which one and how does it taste, where do you get them from and price range? I've never really liked breakfast and while talking to my Dr. he told me to try to EAT breakfast everyday but if I don't at least do a shake or bar until I get the hang of EATING breakfast everyday because no matter how I look at it it is the most important meal of the day.

Also what do you like to eat for breakfast besides eggs?

Thanks!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Anything you like. It's just like any meal just make sure it is within you goal and has protein. It will keep you full longer.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 130 Member
    I drink Shakeology every day; its about 150 calories and its filling and awesome. I drink the chocolate flavor (have not tried Greenberry).

Keep in mind that its from BeachBody so you have to buy it off the site. It's about $128.xx after taxes, etc. I know its expensive up front, but its a 30 day supply; it equates to about $4 a meal - which is about what you'd spend anyway (if not less).

Good luck in your quest.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    There's no rule that says you have to eat 'breakfast food' for breakfast. Eat a sandwich or leftovers from dinner the night before. I'm a cereal eater, myself. A bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with some 1% milk almost every day.

If you must drink a shake, something with protein would be good.
  • I love Cheerios (original! Not the Honey Nut) with almond milk and a count up banana. It's nothing really heavy but it's good for you, it gives you energy and keeps you full (or at least me) until lunch :)
  • I use herbalife! It is amazing! I get it online instead of through a distributor to lower cost...and it cost me about $80/month for herbalife advance. I have been on it for a week now and have lost 3 pounds! It's wonderful because in weight loss mode you have a shake for 2 meals, and each shake w/a scoop of protein is only 200 calories! Leaving you with alot of leftover calories for dinner! :) It's the best!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    I like flavored oatmeal - w/almond milk or just water. I will also eat leftover chicken or pork from dinner the night before as I really don't like breakfast food that much.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    I usually do oatmeal in the microwave at work and put either fruit or yogurt in it. Your Dr. is right you need to eat in the morning to wake that metabolism up! You have to watch those bars and shakes because a lot of them are high in sugar.
  • My new favorite breakfast is plain nonfat (or greek) yogurt, mixed with protein or meal replacement powder (I have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla to keep it interesting). Makes like a pudding. I add half a cup of all bran original cereal and mix it all up. It is a yummy parfait that is full of protein and fiber, keeps me full and is full of the nutrients I need (with my multivitamin, I hit almost all my goals for nutrients for the day, just at breakfast). It works out to under 300 cals (depending on the yogurt and powder you choose). Total winning breakfast.
  • The Atkins Protein Shakes are pretty Good, I really Like the Cafe Carmel kind they have. Its about 160 calories with about 12g of protein. Also the Ultimate meal protein powder is pretty good, I am not sure if you are a milk fan but it taste really good blended with milk and splenda. This one has about 21 g of Protein per scoop with about 145 calories....

Hope this helps
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    I usually replace my lunch with an atkins shake, just b/c I eat an early dinner before I have to be at work at 5, it isn't really supposed to be a "meal replacement" but a "day break", in between meals, like I said though, I eat an early dinner at 3ish so I don't really need a big lunch. I get it at walmart, 4 of them for about $7
  • I sometimes use Luna Bars when I know I need to eat but am running low on time. They're about $1 a piece depending on where you go (the Target here in town is usually the most consistent with that price) and can be up to $1.50 individually. They have a wide variety of flavors and texture-wise they're a lot better than a lot of other bars.
    I'd eat one of those and drink juice or maybe even a carnation instant breakfast drink if I was really hungry.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Just make sure you are getting one with no more than 200 calories and a minimum of 25 grams of protein otherwise you are not getting enough bang for your calories!!

I use the premade shake: Chocolate Premier Protein. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein.

Also watch the sugar and fat content, it should be almost nothing, otherwise find another!!!!

Good Luck!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I have a Whey shake in the A.M.
    Be sure you use quality protein though.
    Optimum Nutrition has affordable stuff on www.vitaminshoppe.com
  • Thanks everyone...really great ideas
  • :smile:
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    I enjoy a banana for breakfast if I am in a hurry but most days I just have juice. In an attempt to increase vegetable nutrition in my diet I use a juicer and have fresh vegetable juice (fruit occasionally as a treat) every morning. It takes a little bit of time but is said to have really amazing health/nutritional benefits. Besides- who really eats as many veggies as they say per day? There are a few schools of thought on juicing so I may have opened myself up to extremism here...but I think in moderation it is a very healthy addition. Also, many feel it is too expensive- I got a juicer from Craigslist for $50 and just use inexpensive produce and what is in season. :smile:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    I make a protein shake every day for breakfast using Jay Robb chocolate or vanilla protein powder. Per scoop it's only 110 cals, 1g carbs, 0 sugar, and 25 grams of protein. I blend it with unsweetened almond milk and peanut butter.
  • i love hmr 800 in chocolate. it's almost like a milkshake :)
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    I definitely LOVE Luna bars and Pure protein (smores flavor). I eat those everyday for my afternoon snacks. They have both protein and fiber and are pretty dense and satisfying to eat! They keep me full for awhile as well!
  • Body by Vi is the best shake you will taste!