Who Else Has Lost & Gained - Lost & Gained - Lost & Gained

Options
2»

Replies

• nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    I think there are more of out there that have lost and gained just to do it all over again. All I can do is keep trying and not beat myself up when I don't follow through. I think sometimes you have to really want it in order to succeed. I try to put the quit smoking mentality I had into weight loss but I am not quite there yet. I was successful with the smoking thing...now on to lick this weught problem. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Me too! I lost the baby weight..only to gain it back + 7 pounds! I swear it is the same 30 pounds going round and round.
    This time I have become beyond aware that I am an emotional eater..so now I keep lots of V8 soup available when ever I feel the need to fill up..so far 11 ounds in 3 weeks..you are not alone!
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,619 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been on MFP for almost two years now. I've lost 94 pounds. If you read my profile or my blog, you'll see that I've been thinking about how not to regain the weight back for every single one of those days and pounds. It's been my only goal.

It was easy two years ago to think that determination and self-understanding was going to get me through. Now I realize that I'm really only at the beginning - someplace I've been plenty of times before. Like one of the other posters here, I've kept weight off for long periods of time and then gained it all back.

I know you can get really, really tired of logging food all the time. I know that life can get in the way - job loss, illness, loss of loved ones, new job, move, whatever - lots of things can blow a carefully built routine into bits and leave you with nothing but the old comforting eating habits left to fall back on. I know that an injury can put you down on the couch or flat on your back and the exercising stops. I've had it happen to me, I've seen it happen to other people on this site.

Yes, it takes a lot of positive energy and positive feed back and optimism to lose weight - especially a lot of weight over a long period of time. But I also believe you have to be realistic.

I still have only one goal - to not gain the weight back. That is my goal now more than it has ever been. And I have only two strategies:

1. Only do what you can do for the rest of your life. Don't give up anything you love, just space it out. Don't do anything you hate - do what you can when you can but keep doing it.

2. Take one day at a time. You can only change your behavior in the present - let the past go and let the future take care of itself.
    I have no idea if this is going to work, but I do know that I can do it today.

Good luck. Be good to yourself.
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I did just last week...I lost 2 lbs in my first week only to gain it back this week. I know exactly what i did to gain...it was my college Homecoming and I didnt exercise like I should have. We also had our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday which didnt help. I am determined not to gain next week with eating all of the food that I will eat on Thursday.
    I hope that you get back on track! :smile:
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    My weight goes up and down like my husbands pants do... hahaha. Ive been successful in the past at dropping huge amounts of weight.. only to gain it back.. and some. Why?? Because I get there and then (stupidily) forget that I cant go back to eat the same junk and doing no form of exercise and not expect to be right back at the start. D'oh. Lesson learned... finally. You are welcome to add me if you want to and we can push each along :)
  • iloverc07
    Options
    ITS GREAT TO READ ALL YOUR STORIES, ITS GOOD TO KNOW LOTS OF PEOPLE SHARE MY STRUGGLE. NOT ONLY THE STRUGGLE OF LOSING WEIGHT BUT THE STRUGGLE TO KEEP IT OFF, SELF SABOTAGE PERFECTLY DESCRIBES WHAT I DO. IVE LOST AND GAINED BACK 30 LBS 3 TIMES. I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS THAT I WAS GOING ON DIETS, I WASN'T MAKING PERMANENT LIFE CHANGES. I HOPE THIS IS THE LAST TIME I HAVE TO DO THIS.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that.
    Did real good on my own, exercising but not watching what I was eating.
    Then I did NS for a year & dropped the weight. Quit NS because I got tired of the food & gained the weight back + some.
    Joined MFP a year ago & really planned on starting fresh & making 2011 MY YEAR. Did good for the first part of the year but I got sidelined due to an unplanned foot surgery & am still recovering.
    So now I plan on making all the plans I had for 2011 work for me in 2012.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time. You can only change your behavior in the present - let the past go and let the future take care of itself.

This is great. WORDS OF WISDOM! :D Thank you for this.
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is me entirely. I started trying to lose weight when I was about 15 and on and off I have lost weight gained it back plus some getting up to 285 at my highest. Tried the HCG diet getting myself down to 240 only to gain most of it back over about a year. I started using this site seriously last week and have been trying to change my eating habits for about 2. I started at 276 and am down to 269 and hope to continue losing weight.

I feel like the best way to attack this hefty task is to take everything day by day. It's all about the mindset you have about things. If you have the determination and motivation to lose the weight, you can do it with ease. Then just continue making smart decisions to keep it off.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have lost and regained 25, 20, and 45 pounds several times over the last four years.

The key for me now is moderation. I really quit thinking "diet" and started thinking calories in, calories out + exercise. And I never eat my exercise calories "back," they are just a deficit. Now, if I have something deemed bad, I don't sweat it, I just put it on the log and it counts towards the daily calories. 80% of the time I make healthier choices because I Feel better when I do. But if I have a bad weekend or a bad meal, I just get it all on the log so I can see those calories, fat, and sugar screaming at me in black and white. Then they go into the weekly average, and the weekly average still has to be under 1500 a day for the week. So if it means I am doing more exercise towards the end of the week and/or eating less, whatever it takes.

this one fits to me perfectly, gained, lost, gained lost...over the last 12 years...
    And congratulations on losing 88 lbs, that is amazing!!!

To the OP:
    I think by thinking of it as a life change rather than a diet and that you can eat whatever you want, just in moderation and you keep track of what you are eating it will help you to stick to it and not gain all the weight back.
  • Elarissa
    Elarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gosh you sound like me. I gained A LOT of weight over the past three years and lost about 45 before my wedding 5 months ago. Now I am up almost 20lbs.
    I enjoy running but hate going to the gym so these next few months are going to be hell for me until summer hits.. but hopefully we both can find a way to keep it off for good this time :)
  • tiffanykbrady
    tiffanykbrady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am always either losing or gaining weight....I would really like to try and lose the weight and maintain it this time.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I saw a news story on ABC nightly news about 6 weeks ago that said the people that are successful with their weight loss never stop logging or writing down their food intake. They sited several people in their 50's thru 70's who have kept their weight off 10 years by logging their food everyday!

So, you know what that means? It means the friends you make on MFP (if they are successful) are friends for life! :wink:
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70lbs twice now - and it just creeps back on - I have been down to 238 twice and then I allow life to get in the way and old habits sneak back in - this time I am so damned determined to smash through that 238 and wave as I pass it to get down - I have 140lbs in mind as the long term target but will re-evaluate that when I get closer. I realise I fail when I take it for grated and stop logging calories, start making rough guesses and telling myself that I can burn off anything I ate - but then didn't ! I let the demands of life take priority over going to the gym and the excuses get easier and easier.

So this time feels different and I know that I wont stop the logging and setting myself short and long term targets I know the signs of when it starts to go wrong - so for me - third time is a charm :)
  • fathuman
    Options
    I've struggled with disordered eating for a few years now (midnight binge eating, terrible portion sizes, only consume junk food most days) but somehow managed to lose 60 pounds in a year incorporating exercise. It's been hard to keep it off when I gain weight so easily. I'm talking about 10-15lbs in a month even when exercising. It's been very difficult/discouraging but I'm going to try my best to keep my eating under control and finally lose the last 60-70 lbs.