What is a good price for gym membership?

Options
For about $35.99/month (3 month student contract +$25) I get to use all of the gym facilities, have my son watched in the nursery for up to 2 hours, and do all the classes. Is that too much? Should I keep looking?

What is the average amount of money you usually have to pay for membership?

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I pay $30 month in the city. 36 plus babysitting sounds like a great deal! I'd just check out the nursey out to make sure its safe for him.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Take it!!!! Cheapest place in town for me (Stillwater OK) is a $50 which also includes daycare.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    That is about what I am paying but doesn't include the childcare. I think it depends on location and facilities. Do you have a pool at your gym?
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's about what I pay at my local YWCA, so it doesn't sound too bad. There are some gyms, though, like Planet Fitness (I think that's its name) that charge $10 a month. I have a bunch of friends, as well as my dad, who go to places like that. Hard to beat that price.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I pay $47 a month for a single membership at the YMCA. I love it b/c they have multiple locations and a huge variety of classes. But compared to some places, it's pretty pricey. I think $35.99 with daycare is a good deal.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of 24 hour gyms for less than $20.00 a month, but watch out for the $70+ account activation fee ... aka ... salesman commission.

$30-$40 is about right for a standard gym with classes and having a daycare onsite is nice.
  • ululation
    ululation Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great price, especially if you like the facilities!!! My husband & I pay $157 every month for the two of us, which includes the babysitting up to 2 hours each day ($45).
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    That's what I pay. Sounds reasonable. Compare the following:

My gym has tons of free weights and machines.... tons of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes.... a lot of classes all day everyday.... raquetball courts, basketball court, and 1/2 olympic size pool..... daycare, lockers, sauna

$35.00/month
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Well its at one of those generic USA fitnesses or whatever. Its the only place that watches a baby under 3mos. I do worry that since it is so cheap that the nursery might be cheap too. They have a video though so you can watch what is going on while you work out B)
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think you are right where you should be if you need the babysitting.

My family membership at the local Y is $97 which includes all classes and babysitting.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    There are gyms around here that are as low as 9.99 a month, but they are not convenient, do not offer childcare, and do not have all the amenities I'm looking for.

My gym membership will be ridiculously expensive, but it's at a wellness center that also has a pool to swim laps, which is important to me. It's around $50 for singles or $89 for a family membership (shudder). Monthly.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    no, that's a great price. mine is 34.99 and i get the daycare, equipment, machines and unlimited classes!! good job girl!! enjoy it :)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I just joined "Planetnt Fitness". They have a 10 and a 20 dollar membership. The staff is certified and they will customize a program. They do not have Zumba and all those classes though. They do have tanning though. I know, it is not good for you. Some people need the light to alleviate depression in the winter.

The gym is spotless and their theme is "No one JUdges You"
  • 2Muchlady
    2Muchlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pay $20.00 a month for Anytime fitness; which is great because I can go workout anytime I want. In the pass I have paid $14/month for a local gym but with the worst hours; so to pay the $6 bucks is worth it to me.
  • BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    Wow. I feel like I'm seriously overpaying for my gym membership but it's what works for me. Mine is 110$/month. They only offer circuit training type classes.

Going to classes forces me to actually do something. I'd be lost in a "normal" gym.

All that to say that 35.99$/month seems like a good deal! "Normal" gyms around here are about 50.00/month including daycare but not including activation fees and all.