Allergic to alcohol?

Options
Recently, when going out with friends, I've noticed that I got really sick even after only 2 or 3 drinks, over the span of a couple hours. I drank on a full stomach and I was hydrated. This never used to happen to me. Is it possible to obtain an allergy?

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    That sounds absolutely horrible. I am verys orry this is happening to you. Hopefully you can find a cure!!!!
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Could be the gluten in the alcohol?
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to alcohol.

When I drink alcohol it makes me break out in stupid :-)
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME PROBLEM! I used to be able to drink in my younger years, and now, one drink and I am vomiting. I always assumed ti was because I had drank too much, but now it doesn't matter. I also thought it would be some kind of allergy - but I have yet to be tested. I haven't tried wine yet though...too scared because I really hate being sick. I am interested to see if anyone else has the same problem. I was starting to think it was in my head!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    alcohol makes me stop breathing if i drink the wrong thing, or have too much too fast. seriously. chest constricts, and i quit breathing. weirdest thing.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You can develop an allergy to practically anything at any given point in life. Only way to know if you really do have an allergy is to go get tested. They usually test you for a whole gamut of allergies.
  • hannahbellelechter
    Options
    LOL! Sooo true about the breaking out in stupid thing.

I guess I shall get tested.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is not sympomatic of an allergy. It could be an intollerance or a number of other things. Are you drinking quickly? Do you feel drunk or tipsy before you get sick? Have you recently switched from beer or wine to liquor? I know that is a common dieting thing to do on these forums but liquor is much harder on your body than beer or wine. If you are drinking liquor are you mixing it with something you don't normally drink?
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME PROBLEM! I used to be able to drink in my younger years, and now, one drink and I am vomiting. I always assumed ti was because I had drank too much, but now it doesn't matter. I also thought it would be some kind of allergy - but I have yet to be tested. I haven't tried wine yet though...too scared because I really hate being sick. I am interested to see if anyone else has the same problem. I was starting to think it was in my head!

Me too! I used to be able to drink and enjoy it. Now I don't get drunk I just end up feeling ill after 2 drinks. WTH?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Im thinking I too may be allergic...I have noticed the last few times that its maked my speech a little slurred and my vision gets a little blurry not to mention It must make me super hot becasue I tend to take my clothes off. !! Better see a doctor. ASAP!
  • skinnywithin
    Options
    Im thinking I too may be allergic...I have noticed the last few times that its maked my speech a little slurred and my vision gets a little blurry not to mention It must make me super hot becasue I tend to take my clothes off. !! Better see a doctor. ASAP!
  • tickletickle
    Options
    any chance u are pregnant? only time alcohol didnt like me, is when i didnt know i was pregnant, i just couldnt drink! wish that was me then i might actually loose more weight, 2 much of a drinker!!
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is allergic to rum. Maybe try drinking different things? Just a suggestion.

My problem is quite the opposite...I start drinking...And then don't stop. O.o
  • skinnywithin
    Options
    I have a friend that is allergic to rum. Maybe try drinking different things? Just a suggestion.

My problem is quite the opposite...I start drinking...And then don't stop. O.o

SHE SADI ALLERGY not ADDICTION silly !
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem a few years back. Vodka used to be my liquor of choice when all of a sudden it started making me violently ill. No matter how little or much I became seriously sick. It was so bad that I would be vomiting every hour on the hour the entire next day. I stopped drinking vodka and had no idea what it was from. No other type of alcohol/liquor has given me those problems.

Recently I started trying vodka again and haven't had any issues. I'd be interested to know what you find out if it is an allergy or an intolerance etc. I think mine may have just been a growing intolerance? No clue and I never consulted a dr to find out....but I kind of wish I had.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Must order more alcohol for Lori...
  • skinnywithin
    Options

Must order more alcohol for Lori...

NOTE TO SELF ...........GET LORI DRUNK ! hahahha
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options

Did anyone call for a doctor! Thats me or it could be LOL
  • hannahbellelechter
    Options
    Nope, not a chance of pregnancy. I've been out of a relationship since July... and I think I'd know by now if there was a bun in the oven lol :)
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would definitely advise to try and stay away from alcohol that contains any gluten grains, just to see if that could be it. With a gluten allergy you're going to get things like stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, headaches, joint pain, and even brain fog as common symptoms.

Gluten Grains:
    Wheat; including varieties like spelt, kamut, farro and durum; and products like bulgur, semolina
    Barley
    Rye
    Oats
    Triticale