Healthy Eating v. Exercising

Options
I've come to find that eating healthy is much easier for me to do on a regular basis than dragging my butt to the gym for a workout. When I tell people this, I seem to always get the same response: "What! I love working out! I don't really watch what I eat but I workout so much it all equals out in the end."

I'm an advocate for practicing both healthy eating and exercise, but find healthy eating to be easier for me to commit to. Which is easier for you to follow through with? Which is more important to you?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Exercise. I've always eaten "healthy". You don't need a gym to exercise. Later.:smile:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I need them both to stay committed. One begets the other for me. If my eating is off, my workouts are worse. If I'm slack on working out, I slack on eating too. Having the two in balance works for me.

Edited to add: Exercise also gives me energy and improves my mood in a way that food cannot do. Well, healthy food cannot ;)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I can easily motivate myself to exercise. Eating healthy, though? It's so inconvenient ;)
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Exercise on a regular basis has never come easy for me. It is much easier for me to eat healthy, which I need to do in order to maintain. I know that exercise would definitely make the maintenance much easier, so some day I hope to exercise much more than I do now :smile:
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    I workout a lot and people tend to justify my weight loss because of it, but I also try to be mindful of what I eat. I can't go to McDonald's and then feel like an hour of Zumba. I feel like the two truly go hand in hand. I don't think you can lead a very active life if you are eating like crap. However I feel like eating healthy is about 95% of the effort, especially when it comes to losing weight. The propel one another, the healthier you eat the more active you want to be and the more active you are, the more likely you are going to be fueling your body with good food.
  • I need them both to stay committed. One begets the other for me. If my eating is off, my workouts are worse. If I'm slack on working out, I slack on eating too. Having the two in balance works for me.

I'm the same way!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i find it easier to eat healthy, i do love walkin, but i have a lil girl at home all thi time so i dont get to get out and exersize,however i dont eat the healthiest, i do watch my calories and make sure i get oll the nutrients i need everyday
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthy" simply isn't viable for me. I just eat healthier, and burn 800-1500 cals a day, 6 days a week. Makes it much more enjoyable as i actually look forward to my dinner, instead of just having it as an "eat to live" mundane chore.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I find the eating part easier as well. I fell off the wagon with exercise for about a whole year at one point. But I continued eating reasonably well.

I don't think one is more important than the other. Both are important.
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked healthy food. I force it down cause I have to. Working out or playing a sport is so easy for me. If i could punch myself in the taste buds to trick it into liking healthy foods I would. Eating as fuel for workouts and sports is what makes me eat healthy. Sometimes i have to really force it.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    like you, I find it easier to eat healthy and control my portions etc...but I still do workout pretty regularly because I want to bulid muscle, which uh, seems to be a bit difficult without exercise. Apparently, sitting around thinking about muscles doesn't actually build muscle haha:laugh:
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's slightly easier for me to eat healthy. I love working out and I love the way it makes me feel but lately it's been hard to drag my butt out of the bed in the morning to go for a walk and it gets dark so soon :( But the first little chunk of weight I lost I had just changed my eating.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am with you!

I can limit my foods and eat healthier without even thinking about it.
    BUT getting my butt up and moving... that's a WHOLE different story.
    75days of doing this and I have maybe worked out 5 times tops!
    Thats how hard it is to motivate me. But now I realized I do need to start doing both, dang plateau!!
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For years, I worked out so I could eat whatever came my way :smile: Now that I've found MFP I realize that I was defeating the whole purpose if it all by exactly what I was comsuming. I find that that I have to do ,exercise and watch my calories in order to release fat!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think they are both important but - I can't go 3 days with out working out before I get all antsy and have to do something! I love working out!
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Exercise is way easier for me. It has been a integral part of my life since I was a kid. I also have always eaten healthy food for the most part, BUT I love to eat and have a problem with portion control. So exercise over healthy eating for me for sure.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find healthy eating to be much easier because it doesn't take any extra time. I enjoy exercise when I have the time, but time is something I'm always short on. I don't lose or maintain a healthy weight unless I exercise though because I get hungry on the amount of calories necessary to maintain a healthy weight without it.

I honestly don't understand adults that eat unhealthy.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I need them both to stay committed. One begets the other for me. If my eating is off, my workouts are worse. If I'm slack on working out, I slack on eating too. Having the two in balance works for me.

This is me. If I don't eat well, I feel like I'm not effective in my workouts. I don't have the right fuel and the energy needed to have a good workout, it's more like 'going through the motions'.
  • SkinnySoph88
    Options
    Working out is easier for me than "eating healthy". With that being said, I strongly believe eating healthily is the more important of the two. You are lucky that you find the eating part to be easier! :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    For me exercise is easier as I love food! I love cooking & I love eating! And all kinds of food!

That being said, to keep on track, I must take care of what I eat as well as making sure I get to the gym regularly.