South beach dieters out there?

Options
Hey I have tried sbd a couple of times and never get past the first few days because I dont cook that much. Has anyone had any success with this? If so how much have you lost and do you have any recipe tips?

Replies

• hopetobeinshape
    Options
    Hey I have tried sbd a couple of times and never get past the first few days because I dont cook that much. Has anyone had any success with this? If so how much have you lost and do you have any recipe tips?
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    i started the south beach diet two years ago and that time i lost about 60 pounds. i have been on it again since last january and steadily excercise and diet since jan 12 and so far have lost 6 pounds (tomorrow i weigh in) i have plenty of recipes and so does my mother who is on here. i did the low carb for the first two weeks and then a carb once a week. this time i am having one carb a day (low carb tortilla or brown rice thats the only carbs not including fruit and veggies) it is hard i agree but worth it. since i love carbs but am not completly denied plus i love chicken and fish so that helps. if you want you can friend me and i can give you tips and more advice and just how to get through it.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't do South Beach.................I do Atkins (both are similar)...........

Low carb or more natural eating - there is a lot more cooking involved. There in not really any way around it, unless you do a lot of raw eating (salads, fruits and veggies)..................

The best way is to plan, plan, plan................

On Sunday's, I cook a week's worth of food to last so I always have food available and ready to go.

Snack size and sandwich size bags are GREAT!!!

I clean, cut and wrap my veggies in the sandwich or quart size bags, so I can grab and go. I have small cups I put salad dressing, again, grab and go...............

Deli meats already put in portion sized containers, grab and go....................

I boil about 2-3 dozen of eggs, so I can grab and go........................

The important thing with South Beach and Atkins is to make Life Style changes. Commit yourself to living a more natural and healthy lifestyle...............

complete with Good Carbs.....................plenty of veggies, some fruits, nuts, seed, berries, whole grains in the form of oatmeal and brown rice............sweet potatoes, etc..........

I am at the point with Atkins that I have added in berries, some higher carb veggies and nuts. I will be adding in apples, peaches, oranges and plums next..............

I have not yet added in any grains because I believe I have a wheat and gluten intolerance.........I am exploring some options............

There are 2 reasons I chose Atkins over South Beach (they are both excellent plans by the way)........

1. Atkins is more structered and you add in foods one at a time so you can see how your body reacts to certain foods..........especially for allergy purposes. (South Beach is not)

2. Atkins keeps me accountable as counting the carbs I eat, keeps me in line for my diabetes..........
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I never actually followed the diet, exactly, but I do follow the rules, so to speak. I read the book and learned a lot about carbs and how they are broken down in our body...and which are the right ones and which are the wrong ones. What the right fats are and what the wrong fats are. And those are the rules I generally live by.