Does the elliptical help tone?

Options
My primary source of exercise right now is using the ellipticals. I have at least 50lbs to lose so I put most of my focus on cardio and calorie burning, and only get to the strength machines at the gym maybe once a week.

I do anywhere from 45-90 minutes a day on the ellipticals, and I mix up the programs from toning (usually gluteal because that's my biggest problem area), interval, and fat burn. And I turn the resistance up so that it ranges from 12-20 (20 is the highest setting) throughout my workout.

Basically, my question is this: do these programs on the elliptical actually do what they say they are doing? If I stick to the elliptical for a period of a few months as I'm focusing on fat loss, will I see any significant improvement in toning? I really like ellipticals because it doesn't bother my knee, I get the most for my time calorie wise, and it's something that I can easily spend an hour at a time doing. Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but the ellipticals at my gym are really nice (even have tv screens and ipod hook up :smile: ), if quality matters at all.

Any advice or tips are appreciated! TIA :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    only on high resistance!!!
  • DRC0086
    Options
    There's no such thing as "toning" or spot reduction. Fitness myths. Widespread, too.

Genetics generally decide how and where the body stores fat when the body consumes a surplus of calories, unfortunately this means your body will pretty much lose weight in the same way when on a calorie deficit. I'm having trouble finding words to adequately explain it, but basically your body loses fat in the same proportions it was gained.

Keep cutting calories and when your body fat percentage gets low enough you'll get that toned look your after.

Hope this helps.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I would think so, if you have the resistance up enough. I like to switch between medium and high resistance while I'm on them, and have noticed improvement in my tush, although I also do a bunch of at home pilates, so it could be either one. I figure if I push hard enough that my muscles are burning, I'm probably doing some toning too. Check out some of the at-home videos, you can do a good bit of toning without the machines at the gym.
  • Gulfislander
    Options
    The elliptical machine, like most stationary machines, provides aerobic exercise which is great for basic fat burning. While it will strengthen and tone to a degree, the human body is a tremendous machine, and unfortunately becomes very efficient in performing tasks that it does repeatedly. The point is, over time, stationary machines becomes less effective. A simple exercise add-in, like yoga, weight training, or even skipping, will keep the body guessing as well as provide great toning...a simple add-in of ten or fifteen minutes a day will have a noticeable impact.

Hope that helps
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical in combination with a high intensity interval training program for the past year and have been quite pleased with the results. I do a 45 min. workout consisting of 2 circuits of 60 sec. of the elliptical followed by 30 sec. of different strength training exercises. My body is quite toned, though I truly can't say how much of it was due to the elliptical, but I have lost the most inches from my legs and lower body, so I think it must be doing something good, and the combination is excellent. I have the resistance set to 7.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Agreed... at the end of the day calorie burn is one thing... but if you really have to work to get the calories burned as in pjhysically resist you will get some results... I don't go lower than level 15 out of 25 and mix it up by doing 3 mins level 15 and 2 mins level 16 or higher.... I notice the level change... helps keep my heart rate higher too so its in optimal aerobic conditioning for my RHR and MHR... :)
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if that is a current photo of you, you look like you would disappear if you lost 50 lbs.....
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the responses! I will make more of an effort to spend a little extra time on the machines too. I've signed up for a strength and resistance training class at my college (an actual class for credits and a grade, lol) and I'm actually pretty nervous about it as I don't usually train with weights and I'm afraid it's just going to be a bunch of in-shape, muscular guys! But I'm sure that will definitely help.

And I have Insanity, I know that can do wonders. I only got 2 weeks into it last time, I definitely would like to start it up again though!
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I forgot to mention, if that is a current photo of you, you look like you would disappear if you lost 50 lbs.....
    Oh no! It is for motivation, I found it online! It's certainly not me, not yet at least! :laugh:
  • honeysprinkles
    Options

Agreed... at the end of the day calorie burn is one thing... but if you really have to work to get the calories burned as in pjhysically resist you will get some results... I don't go lower than level 15 out of 25 and mix it up by doing 3 mins level 15 and 2 mins level 16 or higher.... I notice the level change... helps keep my heart rate higher too so its in optimal aerobic conditioning for my RHR and MHR... :)
    I set my base resistance at 12 and then it goes up and down (but not lower than 12) from there depending on which program I do. 20 is the highest level on the one I use!
  • DRC0086
    Options
    Strength training is an excellent way to get in shape. Free weights are the best, imo. You'll become stronger and less prone to injury. Many women shy away from lifting because they're scared they'll get bulky and muscly, but people often fail to realize the kind of calorie intake it takes to gain muscle, how slow a process it is and how easily muscle disappears. Good luck.

BTW, Squats. best exercise you'll ever do Gives impressive results even in a few short months
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Strength training is an excellent way to get in shape. Free weights are the best, imo. You'll become stronger and less prone to injury. Many women shy away from lifting because they're scared they'll get bulky and muscly, but people often fail to realize the kind of calorie intake it takes to gain muscle, how slow a process it is and how easily muscle disappears. Good luck.

BTW, Squats. best exercise you'll ever do Gives impressive results even in a few short months

Agreed. Don't forget, men produce far more testosterone than women. The women you see that are massive/huge/bulky are training and eating in a very specific way to do so, and it takes years... and honestly, they are likely on steroids. I also agree to free weights as opposed to machines with isolated movements.

I'm new to this power lifting business, but I love it! Back squats are probably my favorite lift. Next to that, is the snatch (it's a love/hate relationship haha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSsn6JVnkk
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In the first 6 months of my weight loss journey I only dieted and walked (just a mile a day, later 2 miles a day). I got pretty decent tone on my upper and lower legs just from that. I also lost about 40lbs. So I would think the elliptical would help. Not as much as actual strength training, but it's certainly not going to hurt!
  • honeysprinkles
    Options

I'm enrolled in a strength and resistance training course next semester, I'm pretty nervous about it, but hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'm not worried about getting bulky because I know that you have to intentionally work towards looking that way, I guess I'm just a little intimidated atm. I'm going to start doing squats at home, thanks for the tip! and thanks for the advice too!