Help -- Side dish & Veggie Ideas -- Please

Options
I've finally made my 1st dinner plan. I have 13 Main Dishes with a few side dishes and veggies but I also have a lot of Blanks. Can someone take a look please and give suggestions that are easy to make as well as compliment the main dish?
I already Know the main Dishes aren't very healthy but I was trying to use what was already on hand 1st. If I'm able to make myself stick with the dinner Planning for 2 months, then I Plan to start fitting healthier ideas in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/angieskia

Replies

• afrase
    afrase Posts: 21
    Options
    Side salads with fat free or low cal dressing; baked fries (slice or cut potatoes sprinkle with pepper and bake); multi grain bread with spray butter instead of regular butter. Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Since your main dishes are not the healthiest, make the best of your sides.
    mixed veggies and salads are great. but cheesy toast w/a pasta dish.. not the best idea for weight loss.
    mashed potatoes - not so great either.
    Baked potato (or baked sweet potato) with skin is a better option.
    Roasted veggies (cauliflower is my fav) w/olive oil and salt and pepper .. try all kinds of veggies. Once roasted, they take on a whole new name!
    Quinoa is great and brown rice are other great options.
    good luck to you.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    With chicken fried steak - steamed baby carrots with just a touch of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon - just a touch.

With spaghetti - steamed broccoli

Tuna Helper - side salad (green) and some fresh cut up fruit

Lasagna - add side of green beans

Hamburger helper - add green sweet peas

Feta pesto chicken - rosemary olive oil potatoes

Pork tenderloin - long grain brown rice

Sloppy Joe - corn on the cob

OK, so all of my suggestions are not the cleanest/healthiest either - but that sure was fun!!!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    With the spaghetti you can roast veggies & mix it in with the sauce. Eggplant, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc work really well. I don't think Hamburger Helper really needs a side dish as it's meat & a side mixed together. Just add the veggie. With the pizza, get some wings and grill or bake them. Much healthier than frying and you get the protein. With the pesto & feta stuffed chicken, you can have a wheat pasta or quinoa. Sloppy Joe could have those sensible portions veggie straws (they're like chips, but made with veggies) and a side veggie. With the lasagna, do a salad with lots of veggies - cucumbers, tomatoes, hard boiled egg for protein.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Here's a good (and different) way to make baby carrots. Microwave a 1 lb. bag for 8-9 minutes with some water in the bottom of the dish you use. Stir halfway. Then add 2 lbs. butter or spread, salt to taste and 1 t. dill weed (yes, that much). My daughter won't eat carrots any other way, and it's easy in the microwave. I always make them if I make Hamburger Helper.

Hope this helps fill in a spot!
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Spaghetti/Lasagna: salad (I like salads with Italian foods)

Tuna Helper: stir in peas into the Tuna Helper; don't worry about a side if its a pasta based helper

Pizza: a salad instead of a side (corn is a starchy veggie)
  • kellzroxs
    kellzroxs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    check out this site www.skinnytaste.com tons of great low fat recipes!
  • SamanthaRiccio
    SamanthaRiccio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just had Roasted Chicken with rosemary and lemon on it for dinner last night with sides of roasted (chopped) potatoes and veggies! So good!
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    WifeMom I actually REALLY like the side of green beans with the lasagna. Never Thought of that before. Thanx!!!
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I noticed Many Members Favored Potatoes here. I'm not a confident cook so I've never tried roasting, boiling, or baking potatoes before. Always just made them out of a box. These are counted as Starch right? I'll start experimenting with them after next payday.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I noticed Many Members Favored Potatoes here. I'm not a confident cook so I've never tried roasting, boiling, or baking potatoes before. Always just made them out of a box. These are counted as Starch right? I'll start experimenting with them after next payday.

Yes, they are a starch