How fast do you run, ladies?

Options

Replies

• sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Varies on distance. My best avgerage pace for Long runs is 9:05, best average pace for shorter runs such as 5K and 8K is 8:26. I started out 1 year ago though at an 11:30 minute mile no matter what distance. When I sprint it can be as fast as 6 something minute pace. I refuse to treadmill run as it always causes me some type of pain. I will bear the Buffalo winter every day to avoid the pain of the dreadmill. That being said...make sure you have proper sneakers, that they are tied properly, and also try out some KT Tape!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I run a 6 minute mile to work in the mornings when I'm running late. Not so bad, considering I'm wearing restricting pants and carrying a backpack.

Otherwise, I don't know. 6.4 on a treadmill with an incline of 3 if I ever do go treadmilling.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run a 6 minute mile to work in the mornings when I'm running late. Not so bad, considering I'm wearing restricting pants and carrying a backpack.

Otherwise, I don't know. 6.4 on a treadmill with an incline of 3 if I ever do go treadmilling.

6 minutes miles = 10.0 on the dreadmill = damn that's crazy fast!
  • maryloo2011
    Options

6 minutes miles = 10.0 on the dreadmill = damn that's crazy fast!

dbug that is hella fast if you're a) going to work and b) carrying that load. Good for you!
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    It's so cool to see the range of people on here! I'm a beginner still but I'm proud of my pace as it's faster than I ever thought I could get! 6.0-7.2 for a 2-3 mile run :)
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For me it depends... when I'm on an incline I run around 7mph. On average, I run around 6. I do interval running, so depending on the amount of intervals I do, I may be faster or slower on average.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Outside over long distances I average 4.8mph or 12.5 minute miles (though that does include stopping to cross roads - I'm not so keen to keep my speed up I'll get run over! Plus I lose GPS signal somewhere on every one of my routes). On the dreadmill I set myself at 8.2kph (5mph) for a long, steady slog, tempo runs at 9kph (5.6kph) and sprint intervals at 12kph (7.5mph).

I love the fact that my sprint speed is some people's steady speed! I used to get so wound up on Runner's World forums where people would say if you can't manage 10-minute-miling, don't bother to enter any races. Progress is relative - I started off on the treadmill at 7kph (4.3ph) - and we should all be proud of ourselves.

Running is for everyone, folks, as soon as both feet leave the ground, even if it's at 3.5mph, you're running.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    P.S. My favourite running vest reads, "I'm slow, I know, get over it!"
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is in Km's I go 7.5 km/hr 3 mins warm up; 9km/hr for 20 mins, 10/hr 10 mins, 7.5km/hr for 10 mins; cool down.
    I ma 5'4 and 112 ish pounds.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    P.S. My favourite running vest reads, "I'm slow, I know, get over it!"

Lol love it. I'm super slow too and I'm not bothered. Super slow is better than injured in my mind, I do as much as I can and that does me. I'm probably 5-5 1/2 and that does me for the time being.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I'm running outside, my average pace is usually between 8 - 8.5 min/mile. When I'm using the treadmill, I usually set the incline to 2 and do intervals, adjusting by half each minute from 7.0 to 10.0. The last few minutes I really crank up the speed or sometimes the incline up to about a 5.
    I don't have shin splints.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I'm running outside, my average pace is usually between 8 - 8.5 min/mile. When I'm using the treadmill, I usually set the incline to 2 and do intervals, adjusting by half each minute from 7.0 to 10.0. The last few minutes I really crank up the speed or sometimes the incline up to about a 5.
    I don't have shin splints.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 7 MPH (Converted rom 11.2KPH as I work in Km) to 7.8125MPH (Converted from 12.5KPH) but normally my average is somewhere around 7.1875MPH (converted from 11.5KPH). Run for about an hour... sometimes just over. Run on treadmill with a MINIMUM OF 1.2% Gradient... takes some of the resultant force on impact out so not AS harsh on joints like knees etc. I have shin splints...not due to speed, but due to not easing back into training properly after I broke my ribs and took time off from running and focussed on bike and elliptical work only-I've had them before and anterior acute compartment syndrome.

Outside I run a little faster depending on the terrain. Managed 7.0MPH on a HILLS road race and some of the hills were steep and it was an exceptionally hot day too.

Treatment for shin splints... rest, proper warm up - cool down when in training... gait analysis and correction - especially common for those with flat feet AND who over pronate. So get down to a running shop and fixed...and the good old "RICE" Rest Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Cross training on diff machines / equipment will keep your CV fitness up and reduce running impact damage on joints and shins so run only a few days a week x-train the rest...unless you've steadily built your body up. Especially if like me you're doing "medium" range runs (10-15km).
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    depends on distance, short intervals are at 12mph (20kph) but racing has been between 7mph and 10mph depending on if its 10k, half or full marathon, longer the distance slower the pace, 8.5mph is a nice pace for me when i'm training, 7mph is my pushchair running pace though
  • niknak30
    Options
    I used to get shin splints from walking on the treadmill flat- seemed to ease off when I used a slight incline. My trainer also taught me to walk/ run heel to toe rather than how I was on my toes and that has helped heaps.
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    wow I'm slow..lol 4.3mph
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch before running? Have you looked into getting new running shoes? These could cause your shin splints., When i start feeling anything different in my shins, i get a new pair. So far (knock on wood) no shin splints

I keep my TM @ a 2 - 2.5% incline to simulate actual outdoor running. Keeping it @ 0 youre more or less running at a decline.

Depending what im doing, speedwork im @ 8min with recoveries @ 10min; hill work varies from 10-8:30 with inclines from 3-7%. Tempo 9-10min
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to running and if I am just doing a mile on the treadmill I can do under a 10 min mile now but if I am doing 3-4 miles I tend to do 10.5-11 min miles, and that is good for me!! I have immproved loads hahaha
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually been running that long but I am proud of what I have accomplished in the prob. 2 mos that I have been doing it. I did discover that I can now run 3 miles in just over 30 min. without stopping to walk. that was a huge accomplilshment. I go at my own pace and don't worry about what other people think. I too have shin splints and getting new shoes has helped but then so has resting, icing, etc. According to my daughter's otho dr. you need to build up the posterior tib? whatever muscle at the back of the leg so the front is stronger and you don't get the pain. So I have been working on that and it is slowly helping.