To Zumba or not to Zumba?

Options
I just gotborrowed the Zumba Fitness DVD's from my boss, and I am really excited about getting started with them. I've heard mixed messages about Zumba and would love to hear feedback from "heavier" Zumba users. How did it work for you? Is it a program that keeps you motivated? Anyone experience health issues while using it? Any feedback would be great. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• jenleann2011
    Options
    I am a Zumba junkie. lol This is the only exercise that I have found that I am passionate about. My suggestion would be to try the DVD's but also FIND A CLASS AND GO! It is so much more fun when you are in a class. You can find classes near you at zumba.com. I recently got licsened to teach and can not wait to get my first class!!!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor...and to start out with the DVD's is a good thing. It will get you used to different types of movements that are used in Zumba.
    I do a higher intense Zumba along with some toning and when there are heavier ladies that come in, what I have them do is adjust the movements to fit their level of fitness.
    That is true of ANY new student to Zumba...If you're not comfortable with some type of movement, you need to and should adjust it to fit your needs.

I have had some heavier ladies that have done very well with adding Zumba in as part of their exercise/cardio and as long as you or any of them are also following healthy eating habits, you will lose weight and inches....
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    they had a zumba class here in town and i have friends who love it (like seriously, zumba addicts: but they were already skinny anyway) but altho they were already skinny, have lost alot of weight since starting zumba

the two friends I knew that we're over-weight, do it on their wii -- and they LOVE IT. although neither are hardcore 'zumba-ers' lol

I think that it'd be a great work out, everyone I know who does zumba loves it -- I haven't met anyone so far who has a negative thing to say about it.

I myself want to start zumba, but I can never find a dvd -- as I dont have a wii & can't go to the class in town b/c i dont have a babysitter for the time they have it.
  • muitobem
    Options
    And yes, the classes are SO much more fun!!
  • keyaniab
    Options
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA!!!... I personally love Zumba, for the last couple of months, thats been my workout. This is my last week of doing Zumba though because I feel like I've exhausted the DVDs (thats just how much I do them). Im moving on to Turbo Jam. Zumba is fun and really keeps me motivated, i great for me because Im not to big of a workout person, so it helps a lot. I havent experienced any health issues with it. I've lost a total of 17 pounds and the workout I've done the most is Zumba. Good Luck!
  • muitobem
    Options
    they had a zumba class here in town and i have friends who love it (like seriously, zumba addicts: but they were already skinny anyway) but altho they were already skinny, have lost alot of weight since starting zumba (..like to the point if they were celebs they'd be in magazines about how theyre starvnig themselves.)

the two friends I knew that we're over-weight, do it on their wii -- and they LOVE IT. although neither are hardcore 'zumba-ers' lol

I think that it'd be a great work out, everyone I know who does zumba loves it -- I haven't met anyone so far who has a negative thing to say about it.

I myself want to start zumba, but I can never find a dvd -- as I dont have a wii & can't go to the class in town b/c i dont have a babysitter for the time they have it.

Look for dvd's on Ebay...or go to zumba.com and order the newest set they have....
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love ZUMBA....I take the classes throughout the week at my gym, though....I haven't had any health issues, but it does boost my mood, a lot....There are some moves, mostly jumps, that I modify at this time...just keep on moving, get into the groove and you will love it....
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    they had a zumba class here in town and i have friends who love it (like seriously, zumba addicts: but they were already skinny anyway) but altho they were already skinny, have lost alot of weight since starting zumba (..like to the point if they were celebs they'd be in magazines about how theyre starvnig themselves.)

Look for dvd's on Ebay...or go to zumba.com and order the newest set they have....

which dvd would u suggest?
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! LOL I've never done it YET!! myself.. BUT I want to and I've never heard a bad thing about it (once you get the moves down)..
    I just have to get a dvd yet/make it to a class :)BUT I WANT TO!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am pretty heavy, and I love zumba. I couldn't do all the jumping steps when I started 4 months ago. But now I am better than some of the skinny ladies in my class. I think you just need some time to improve your endurance.

I never tried a Zumba DVD - I only go to classes, and highly recommend them.
  • muitobem
    Options

Any and all of them! They usually start you out with something slow to get you used to basic moves...Then you move on and up as you get used to them...
    And the newest set has everything from cardio, to toning to a new craze called Sensao-where they use a chair as part of the routine...it's pretty cool.....
    And if you need to...go to youtube.com and type in zumba in the search and you'll have 1000's of videos to choose from to learn to do..from simple to complex as you get better at it....
  • muitobem
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! LOL I've never done it YET!! myself.. BUT I want to and I've never heard a bad thing about it (once you get the moves down)..
    I just have to get a dvd yet/make it to a class :)BUT I WANT TO!

Don't wait any longer!! Just go! and DO IT!!!! LOL
  • muitobem
    Options
    I am pretty heavy, and I love zumba. I couldn't do all the jumping steps when I started 4 months ago. But now I am better than some of the skinny ladies in my class. I think you just need some time to improve your endurance.

I never tried a Zumba DVD - I only go to classes, and highly recommend them.

She's right...it takes time! Some ladies (and gents, there are a few in my classes) come in a few times and feel that they just can't do it...because a lot of times they think it's too hard...You're learning to move in ways you never did before...and It's so all about attitude!
    And this ones got it right!!! =)
    If anyone really wants to do it....you make no excuses and you just DO IT!!
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Zumba fan (as I am completely un-coordinated and it frustrates me + I'm not a fan of dancing... unless I'm doing it while cleaning alone).

But what's the harm in doing it? You WILL burn calories, and you will burn more if you enjoy something because you will want to do it.

Try it out -- if you love it --- stick with it!
  • smkcx♥
    Options

Any and all of them! They usually start you out with something slow to get you used to basic moves...Then you move on and up as you get used to them...
    And the newest set has everything from cardio, to toning to a new craze called Sensao-where they use a chair as part of the routine...it's pretty cool.....
    And if you need to...go to youtube.com and type in zumba in the search and you'll have 1000's of videos to choose from to learn to do..from simple to complex as you get better at it....

thank you :))
  • muitobem
    Options

thank you :))

No problem! I love to help when I can.... =)
  • muitobem
    Options
    I'm not a Zumba fan (as I am completely un-coordinated and it frustrates me + I'm not a fan of dancing... unless I'm doing it while cleaning alone).

But what's the harm in doing it? You WILL burn calories, and you will burn more if you enjoy something because you will want to do it.

Try it out -- if you love it --- stick with it!

You seriously do not have to be coordinated to do it...It's all about just moving. I hear that a lot though and there's not ALL dance to it...You don't have to wiggle the hips, like most of the instructors do....you don't have to step the way they do, just move that foot forward/back or side to side....You don't even have to start out with the arm movements that you see...

The best way to learn it: Learn the moves from the waist down first...then add upper body movement to it...Watch the instructors feet....
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone in this thread can answer my main question regarding zumba... As an already slim person, will I see any toning from doing zumba? I mean, I'm already at a healthy weight, I just want to tighten up without spending so many hours on boring weight lifting and such. I just can't get myself to stick to all that, because I really don't find it to be fun!
  • muitobem
    Options
    And if you notice when you're doing Zumba...if it's done right there will not be anymore than 4 different types of moves in a routine...And they repeat in the song...

that's how you catch it!
  • muitobem
    Options
    I wonder if anyone in this thread can answer my main question regarding zumba... As an already slim person, will I see any toning from doing zumba? I mean, I'm already at a healthy weight, I just want to tighten up without spending so many hours on boring weight lifting and such. I just can't get myself to stick to all that, because I really don't find it to be fun!

If you have a class that does a lot of squats/lunges...it will tone up the legs/calves/buns...
    For the upper body, use LIGHT hand weights...no more than 2lbs...and you'll see the difference in your upper body...(you can work your way up in the weight too...there was a girl in my class that started out with 1lb weights and ended up using 5lb weights in a few months time.....
    And if you were to ask my girls in the class I teach, they would tell you that their bottom half toned up really nice.....