discouraging people who think they're 'helping'

Options
I have heard this a couple times now:
"oh, you're eating a bagel? you know you just basically negated your entire workout"
"oh, you're doing sit-ups? those are useless without some resistance"
why not say,
"oh, you're trying something new? well, unless you're perfect, don't even bother. you're just wasting your time and none of your hard work will get you anywhere."
drives me nuts and gets to me every time! the first one was from a friend with an eating disorder, the second from a female bodybuilder who does TERRIBLE things to her body just to look good.
Please, some sane person on here tell me all my work is not worthless! I've been logging religiously for the last six months and only lost 15 lbs. And you know what?
I'm okay with that.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    O.o Don't listen to them! You are doing great then :]
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    who cares what other people say

long as the weight coming off and it works for you

STUFF THEM !!

:smile:
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    All you work is not for nothing. You are dong awesome. Sounds like you need better friends. Add me if you like.:smile:
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    The only question you have to ask is do you feel better? If yes screw them. Be happy and smile
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and forget them.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't like to tell people that I'm 'dieting' ;(
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    wow! 40 seconds and a bunch of people who want to support!
    I love this site, and you guys!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    They have no idea what works for your body. I'd tell em to shove it where the sun don't shine. :P You're doing great at 15 lbs lost!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha! I'm laughing because of the source of the comments. You don't need anyone to tell you that your efforts are not in vain, but I will :flowerforyou: 15 pounds is amazing and awesome, NO MATTER how long it took to lose it. You are doing a great thing for your health. The difference (well, one of them!) between you and those other people with their "advice" is that you are doing it right, AND you are smart enough to know that nobody likes unsolicited opinions! Keep on keepin on, let people have their opinions--you have so much more. Yay for YOU!:drinker:
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    your work is not worthless!!! hang in there!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    You can eat bagels if you want. If it fits into your calorie goals, then its all good. People just have a really distorted view about what it means to diet and lose weight. You're doing great, don't listen to those negative Nancys.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    People who treat their bodies badly and are skinny have as many (if not more) distorted ideas about food and image than those who are overweight. You're wise to consider your "friends" to be in need of help. If you're not satisfied with your progress, check out your log with a dietician, but don't let yourself get discouraged by people who are more obsessed with their weight than you are!! :)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Some people are so silly!

I would say: 'hahaha I do the workout SO I can eat the bagel!' and 'Hmm you mean half of my body weight vs a little extra added 'resistance', are you so sure it makes that much of a difference?' :wink:
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    That is actually pretty good because your building muscle tone and you get to eat!
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    Ha ha ha! I'm laughing because of the source of the comments. You don't need anyone to tell you that your efforts are not in vain, but I will :flowerforyou: 15 pounds is amazing and awesome, NO MATTER how long it took to lose it. You are doing a great thing for your health. The difference (well, one of them!) between you and those other people with their "advice" is that you are doing it right, AND you are smart enough to know that nobody liks unsolicired opinions! Keep on keepin on, let people have their opinions--you have so much more. Yay for YOU!:drinker:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm a nursing student and i'm surrounded by people whose life ambition is basically to know better and tell others what to do. I have so much insecurity connected to my weight that somehow any discussion about fitness and nutrition becomes connected to my self-worth somehow, and i just can't stay rational.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is healthy - ie eating within your calories, and eating ENOUGH calories and you are showing improvement (15lbs is nothing to laugh at!), then you are doing it "right". Keep it up, you are becoming a better you, and doing a darn good job of it! People who say otherwise when what you are doing is healthy are usually either jealous or misinformed. Keep up your awesome work!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Get new friends.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    Some people are so silly!

I would say: 'hahaha I do the workout SO I can eat the bagel!' and 'Hmm you mean half of my body weight vs a little extra added 'resistance', are you so sure it makes that much of a difference?' :wink:
    I actually managed to not take it personally. And just to humor her, I found the only resistance I could and put it on my chest as I did sit-ups..and she sat on her butt. I may have looked silly with a pumpkin on my chest, but I was burning calories!
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    That is one thing my friends and I have decided not to do, we are ONLY positive each person makes their own journey we are just there to cheer them on. You need to let them know to knock it off or delete their *kitten*!